+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Show Discussi9on - 10/25/11 - ****spoilers****

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Show Discussi9on - 10/25/11 - ****spoilers****

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    John has hit 101 lbs...already. John is the BL of the week so safe.
    Wow... Anna is kind of blaming the romance for Vinny's poor weight loss, and his girlfriend's. Distractions. Boy, they are upset, shee looks pissed.
    Obviously I meant Ramon above, not Vinny. Would have fixed it last night except none of my posts were appearing then--apparently something to do with the heavy traffic for the Bachelorette finale. I guess it's good to know people are still "involved" with reality TV even if it cuts out the show I"m watching!

I agree, something really odd going on compared to most years. Only John is racking up the kinds of losses we've seen in the past. He's definitely leading the pack in terms of being the biggest loser. He's at 23% already (and generally the winner has lost about 50% of his/her original weight or more) while the other leaders are a group tied at about 18%---with many still in the low teens. And Bonnie at 10%.
    Sooner or later the others will target John....

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I would appreciate it if people didn't post spoilers in show discussion threads. Or maybe put the word "spoiler," then leave a lot of space so that people can move on to the next post without seeing any spoilers. Some contestants prefer Bob because they're familiar with him. If Anna had been a trainer on the show for years, contestants might prefer her. After having Bob as a trainer, Bonnie only lost one pound: is Bob that good of a trainer? Instead of talking about her weight loss, Jen was obsessing about Bob. Also, maybe it was a producer's idea to play a trick on Bob by telling him that everyone ate the candy. What was John's story? My TV briefly wasn't working while John was telling his story. Vinny's statement didn't make any sense... that if only he got bigger, no one would abuse or neglect him.
    I also can't figure out what spoiler you meant...I think only things relating to the ongoing show were posted, and that's what the thread is labeled. Was something removed by the mods?
    Re Vinny wanting to be bigger to prevent abuse...I think when your abuser is so much bigger than you it might be a reasonable response for a CHILD...obviously not what an adult would decide, except in terms of bulking up through working out. But the idea is that the child Vinny is still making some decisions for him.
    John had a series of bad things happen, some having to do with having kids, including being turned down for one of their adoption requests, losing a house, I think his dad died... and he turned to food for comfort. Dolvett (sp?) is adopted and has adopted kids so they bonded over that.

I agree PWS....John has a target on his back. Maybe no one can see it right now but soon they will. He was right to be concerened. He told Vinny he was. Vinny said he shouldn't be. Maybe no one is thinking about the long term right now in terms of individual play but they will soon, very soon. I do find it funny that the person in the lead, John, is the only one who is thinking that way. I would think Antone and Ramone would be game playing more than they are...simply because they are athletes.

I haven't updated my spreadsheet yet but don't need to to know that John's gap in his lead is getting wider. If the other players don't step it up there will not be any way they can catch up. Didn't Ali say there will be one person from the Ranch in the finale and the other person will be the one who wins the marathon? Is the one person from the ranch determined by a vote or % lost? Not sure but if % lost John has it especially if the others don't step it up next week.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I remember when season Danny won, he asked one of the previous season winners how he did it and the answer was stick to the diet. Some of the other contestants who were bigger guys cheated alot on their diets because with the workouts they were doing they were still losing tons of weight so they figured they could eat want they wanted and still lose. I think that is what is happened. A lot of these bigger guys are seeing amazing results with the workouts so they figure they can slack on the diet but it catches up to you eventually.
    Do we know how restrictive the diet is? I read somewhere they eat around 1200 calories a day. Now I am not an expert at all, but I'm wondering whether this is enough for a person who exercises as much as these people do. Sometimes I read people need to eat more, or eat in different proportions, while other times I read that it doesn't really matter, and the body can function with less calories despite the exercise. I also think they go up and down their calories in order to avoid hitting plateaus or that their body goes into starvation mode. I guess if the bigger guys can exercise much and eat, say 1500 or 1600 calories instead of 1200, they can still pull big losses.

Does anyone know anything more to clear my confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by sheila View Post
    Do we know how restrictive the diet is? I read somewhere they eat around 1200 calories a day. Now I am not an expert at all, but I'm wondering whether this is enough for a person who exercises as much as these people do. Sometimes I read people need to eat more, or eat in different proportions, while other times I read that it doesn't really matter, and the body can function with less calories despite the exercise. I also think they go up and down their calories in order to avoid hitting plateaus or that their body goes into starvation mode. I guess if the bigger guys can exercise much and eat, say 1500 or 1600 calories instead of 1200, they can still pull big losses.

Does anyone know anything more to clear my confusion?
    The women tend to eat about 1200 - 1400 a day and the guys around 1700.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fanatic

I finished watching the show a little while ago. I find it very interesting that almost all of the black team members and all of the red team members voted Jennifer off and that the reasoning was pretty much that they were tired of the crazy making and wanted to focus on overcoming their own issues. Thankfully, the snarkfest editing is gone but it does make me wonder what the heck she did to elicit such a feeling of weariness on the part of the other players.

It also makes me wonder if the producers did the whole group thing so that she would be voted off because Bob's team never lost the weigh in...
    Last edited by JulieAnn; 10-26-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Spelling of snarkfest

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I also can't figure out what spoiler you meant...I think only things relating to the ongoing show were posted, and that's what the thread is labeled. Was something removed by the mods? Re Vinny wanting to be bigger to prevent abuse...I think when your abuser is so much bigger than you it might be a reasonable response for a CHILD...obviously not what an adult would decide, except in terms of bulking up through working out. But the idea is that the child Vinny is still making some decisions for him. John had a series of bad things happen, some having to do with having kids, including being turned down for one of their adoption requests, losing a house, I think his dad died... and he turned to food for comfort. Dolvett (sp?) is adopted and has adopted kids so they bonded over that.
    The spoilers that I'm referring to aren't in this thread. Thank you for describing John's story. I was able to see Dolvett's reaction, but I didn't see John's story. I think people gain weight because they have a slow metabolism and/or like to eat.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    The spoilers that I'm referring to aren't in this thread. Thank you for describing John's story. I was able to see Dolvett's reaction, but I didn't see John's story. I think people gain weight because they have a slow metabolism and/or like to eat.
    All threads are locked until the west coast airs. Once that happens spoilers can be in any thread.

Your body will retain water under a varity of conditions and working out too hard is one of them. I have always been curious as to why the trainers don't talk about this. People often go mountain climbing on a vacation or other strenusous exercise, that they are not used to, and shocked when they come home to find they have gained weight. Not necessarily so, it is just water. OR they have eaten too much thinking they need the fuel.

Your body can also go into a "what is happening here, am I going to dehydrate" mode with strenuous exercise. And of course, there is always the diet is 80% of the process fact.

There is no mention of diet tricks, like a day without carbs or apples only eliminate the water.

Another trick to get things moving is do only aerobic, no weights and lower calories. I have always been stumped as to why more attention is not given to diet and stalls in weight loss that happen to everyone at some point. It isn't because they have been slacking on the workouts! We just don't see much about diet. We only get that annoying Curtis Stone preparing horrible low fat meals that no one would ever eat.

That said, I have no interest in seeing what they eat beyond low fat vs low carb. I would be interested in what they do in that regard. I want to see an honest conversation of the part diet plays in their journey.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 10-27-2011 at 06:33 AM.

I would also like to know what they do to overcome plateu's. As well as each person is different so their eating is going to be different to loose the weight. Nothing like this is addressed and it should be. This show was originally started to motivate and help viewers but yet we only see work outs.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

FORT Fogey

Why don't they show what the contestants eat? Are they worried about lawsuits? I think it would be much safer showing what everybody eats, than showing some people, who weigh over 500 pounds, run. When they show Vinny, who weighs about 280 pounds, running at 10 miles per hour, I wonder if that's a bad example for viewers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast