+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Show Discussion 10/11/11 ****Spoilers****

  1. #31
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,081

    Re: Show Discussion 10/11/11 ****Spoilers****

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    There are many thin people with unhappy childhoods, too. I think a treacherous past can aggravate the underlying cause of obesity. It plays a part but is not the place to look for the answer, imo. Hormones and genetics play the largest role.
    I think you also need to look at lifestyle also, kids nowadays don't have phys ed at school, don't have recess, don't go out and play, instead sit in front of the TV 5 - 8 hours day either watching shows or playing video games. That and food portions have gotten larger and larger and look at all the hormones and high fructose corn syrup in all the processed food we eat. That is a very large part of the obesity problem in this country and other countries who adopt our lifestyle.

    It used to be you had the one fat kid at school and normally that person wasn't that huge until high school. Very rarely would you see very plump and obese children in kindergarten, elementary, junior or senior high school. Now they are everywhere you look. You cannot blame the obesity explosion in this country all on hormones and genetics.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  2. #32
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: Show Discussion 10/11/11 ****Spoilers****

    ^^^^ I agree. It is a complex situation.

  3. #33
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    427

    Re: Show Discussion 10/11/11 ****Spoilers****

    Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I still laugh at Dolvett's "It hurts to look good. I'm in pain every day" comment.
    I missed when he said it. That is hysterical!

  4. #34
    Go CATS!!!! mandmmom2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,780

    Re: Show Discussion 10/11/11 ****Spoilers****

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I think you also need to look at lifestyle also, kids nowadays don't have phys ed at school, don't have recess, don't go out and play, instead sit in front of the TV 5 - 8 hours day either watching shows or playing video games. That and food portions have gotten larger and larger and look at all the hormones and high fructose corn syrup in all the processed food we eat. That is a very large part of the obesity problem in this country and other countries who adopt our lifestyle.

    It used to be you had the one fat kid at school and normally that person wasn't that huge until high school. Very rarely would you see very plump and obese children in kindergarten, elementary, junior or senior high school. Now they are everywhere you look. You cannot blame the obesity explosion in this country all on hormones and genetics.
    I so agree! Thankfully my daughter's school has daily recess and gym class 1-2x a week. The bad part....she hardly gets recess b/c the boys in her class are so bad that the class has recess taken away daily. I don't agree with punishing the good kids and I plan to let her teacher know this tonight at parent/teacher conference. During the school week my girls are not allowed to play video games or watch TV at all. We have a family movie night once a month on a Friday and on Saturday they have to play outside so many hours that day or clean with me or work in yard or run errands with me. I cook 6 nights a week non-processed foods. My girls are considered too thin by many but doctors tell me they are healthy.

    My oldest is in 4th grade and she went to one school K-2 and we were redistrict to a different school last year. Going from the first school (hate to say this but it was a school that mostly had middle to higher income families) to this school (who has mostly lower income families with the exception of those redistricted last year) I noticed a big difference is the obesity in kids. This school...it's everywhere. My skinny daughter is the one that is made fun of. She came home one day and asked how to gain weight? What?!?!? Seriously?!?! She isn't underweight...she is 55lbs at age 9. She is average in height and weight. I ate lunch with her one day and she is the smallest in her class. Most of the kids are tall and big. And not a good big either! It just floors me that she is the odd one now.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

  5. #35
    FORT Fan CrazyDutchWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    334

    Re: Show Discussion 10/11/11 ****Spoilers****

    I did not care for Cara and Brett. Not really personalities I guess but I do love Dolvett. Liked what he said If you start to love your actions you'll begin to love yourself. and his jokes are nice. I also like he is being strict and then suddenly you see that big huge grin.
    Not so much Anna. he is probably a nice girl but that's about it.

    I don't think her way of training is very good either. Not sure but i remember Jillian and Bob treating people who were above 50 the same as they treated the others. if I look at what she lets her team do and compare that with the black and red team I think she really treats them asd older people. too soft.


    Also not so much personality so far. Just my opinion.

    I am rooting for the red team now. Don't understand why they are so much better than the red's It must be Bob's way of training and dieting. don't you think?

    Thought it a stupid move by Bonny (Not really liking her to be honest) but beforehand I knew she would pick the other woman. Thanks to coach she had another week! He lost a lot. Oh well. They'll probably mix the teams up because Anna starts to looks bad now.

  6. #36
    FORT Fan CrazyDutchWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    334

    Re: Show Discussion 10/11/11 ****Spoilers****

    Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2 View Post
    I so agree! Thankfully my daughter's school has daily recess and gym class 1-2x a week. The bad part....she hardly gets recess b/c the boys in her class are so bad that the class has recess taken away daily. I don't agree with punishing the good kids and I plan to let her teacher know this tonight at parent/teacher conference. During the school week my girls are not allowed to play video games or watch TV at all. We have a family movie night once a month on a Friday and on Saturday they have to play outside so many hours that day or clean with me or work in yard or run errands with me. I cook 6 nights a week non-processed foods. My girls are considered too thin by many but doctors tell me they are healthy.

    My oldest is in 4th grade and she went to one school K-2 and we were redistrict to a different school last year. Going from the first school (hate to say this but it was a school that mostly had middle to higher income families) to this school (who has mostly lower income families with the exception of those redistricted last year) I noticed a big difference is the obesity in kids. This school...it's everywhere. My skinny daughter is the one that is made fun of. She came home one day and asked how to gain weight? What?!?!? Seriously?!?! She isn't underweight...she is 55lbs at age 9. She is average in height and weight. I ate lunch with her one day and she is the smallest in her class. Most of the kids are tall and big. And not a good big either! It just floors me that she is the odd one now.
    OMG. I am so sorry to hear that. Here (The Netherlands) it is not that bad YET! but it will be. Kids don't play outside anymore but are using computers and consoles to play with. Also we do not have the big meals like you guys have in he States. I remember that when i visited California. talkig about 30 years ago and I visited your supermarkets I was shocked. The sizes of the meals, like for instance meat, they were not double but triple the size of our meat. (I was jealous back then)

    But it is sad and crazy to hear your child is now the weird one cause she is healthy. She should tell that to them. At least i am healthy. It is just jeaousy I assume.

  7. #37
    Go CATS!!!! mandmmom2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,780

    Re: Show Discussion 10/11/11 ****Spoilers****

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDutchWoman View Post
    OMG. I am so sorry to hear that. Here (The Netherlands) it is not that bad YET! but it will be. Kids don't play outside anymore but are using computers and consoles to play with. Also we do not have the big meals like you guys have in he States. I remember that when i visited California. talkig about 30 years ago and I visited your supermarkets I was shocked. The sizes of the meals, like for instance meat, they were not double but triple the size of our meat. (I was jealous back then)

    But it is sad and crazy to hear your child is now the weird one cause she is healthy. She should tell that to them. At least i am healthy. It is just jeaousy I assume.
    You are right...our meals are huge here!! That is one thing I changed four years ago in my house. There is no call to make mashed potatoes, mac&cheese, green beans, corn, and a meat for one meal. Gheez!!! I do a meat with a side. I know my girls get the "bread" at school or daycare so I try to stick to a meat and veggies at dinner. I started to cut the meat into 4-6 oz servings after buying in the store. No reason a chicken breast should be the size of three human hands.

    Thanks. I first told her that she was healthy and that is what counts. It's not about how big or small you are but about what you put into your body. I gave her my BFF as an example. She is almost 6' tall and wears a size 14 but eats healthier than most nutrionists. Her whole family are bigger built. That's just the way she is made. I told her it has nothing to do what being the skinniest or the biggest. I gave her that whole "lecture". Then I looked at her and said, "plus one day those kids will want to be small like you. They will ask you how to get small. They are just jealous. Don't let them still your security. Don't let them take your joy. Don't let them get to you. You are beautiful and you are smart and you are loved just as you are. If you don't think so then go ask Randi." Randi is her older "sister". She is the babysitters youngest daughter who just graduated college. My daughter loves her and they hang out every now and then. Randi has been good for her self esteem.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

  8. #38
    FORT Fan CrazyDutchWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    334

    Re: Show Discussion 10/11/11 ****Spoilers****

    Yes Good job. You said the right thing. it is hard to raise a child with selfesteem and good values nowadays. Not based on what magazines show them every day or what other kids tell them. I think you did fine. And about the meals you made. Mac and cheese + (mashed) Potatoes. Here typical Dutch is meat, small though, veggies and boiled potatoes but now we also eat a lot of rice, macaroni and other food. Macaroni and cheese is one meal. is it not so in America?

    I am not a big meat eater anymore. We eat a lot of chickenbreast, rice and veggies. I must admit I hate cooking though.

  9. #39
    Anarchist AJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charming
    Posts
    9,355

    Re: Show Discussion 10/11/11 ****Spoilers****

    My 3rd grader only gets 2 or 3 days of phys ed a week. Not good enough, IMO. Fortunately we are able to enrol her in extracurricular sports activities, so she has a soccer practice and game each week. My older child is also very involved in an athletic activity several times per week, but what about parents who can't manage the registration fees for sports out of school? It frustrates me to see so many inactive and physically unfit kids in their schools.

    My kids like TV, but they don't watch a lot during the week because they are busy with their activities. My younger daughter has taken to bouncing on an exercise ball while she watches TV, which is a great idea that she gets 100% of the credit for. I never thought to suggest it to her but I think I might take it up myself.

    The food portions at American restaurants are nothing short of shocking. Ours in Canada are probably bigger than European portions, but if we go to an American chain, like IHOP, the plates make me go .

    I really like Dolvett. They could have just gone with him as a replacement for Jillian, but I guess they felt they needed a female trainer and/or a famous name. Anna is a very nice girl and I think she does know what she's doing, but she appears a little bit out of place.
    Last edited by AJane; 10-17-2011 at 02:19 PM.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

  10. #40
    FORT Fanatic jenniferboston1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    682

    Re: Show Discussion 10/11/11 ****Spoilers****

    Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2 View Post
    I so agree! Thankfully my daughter's school has daily recess and gym class 1-2x a week. The bad part....she hardly gets recess b/c the boys in her class are so bad that the class has recess taken away daily. I don't agree with punishing the good kids and I plan to let her teacher know this tonight at parent/teacher conference. During the school week my girls are not allowed to play video games or watch TV at all. We have a family movie night once a month on a Friday and on Saturday they have to play outside so many hours that day or clean with me or work in yard or run errands with me. I cook 6 nights a week non-processed foods. My girls are considered too thin by many but doctors tell me they are healthy.

    My oldest is in 4th grade and she went to one school K-2 and we were redistrict to a different school last year. Going from the first school (hate to say this but it was a school that mostly had middle to higher income families) to this school (who has mostly lower income families with the exception of those redistricted last year) I noticed a big difference is the obesity in kids. This school...it's everywhere. My skinny daughter is the one that is made fun of. She came home one day and asked how to gain weight? What?!?!? Seriously?!?! She isn't underweight...she is 55lbs at age 9. She is average in height and weight. I ate lunch with her one day and she is the smallest in her class. Most of the kids are tall and big. And not a good big either! It just floors me that she is the odd one now.
    It DOES vary school to school. Where my sons attend now, I don't think there is ONE obese child in the entire school, which the population is almost 1,0000! Their middle school they attended in a different state, the obesity rate was extremely high.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.