+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Show Discussion 10/4/11 ****Spoilers****

Re: Show Discussion 10/4/11 ****Spoilers****

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    She must have bad knees. Out of all the applicants for an older woman, she was the best choice? Certainly there was another her age more capable of competing!

Courtney (injured) proves the point I harp on every season. Back off a bit on the exercise and lower calorie intake. Their bodies scream to do this. The older man, who won the tickets, must be eating less to compensate for his inability to do some of the more strenuous routines, too. His main exercize, this week, was the treadmill, supporting the information out there that walking is a very effective form of exercise.
    I agree. If I know I can't get my five days of work outs in one week then I lower my calorie intake. I lost 2lbs last week. I know it isn't a lot by BL standards but that is good for real life. Now...to continue and loose the rest...
    JulieAnn likes this.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2 View Post
    I remember DR. H discussing with her that her "new" knees are shot now. So, I think she has had total knee replacement but because of her weight and not taking care of them she needs another total knee replacement. I could be wrong but that is how I took the little bit of conversation I heard last week.
    And again, why was she cast?

Not sure why she was cast. BUT at same time there are always contestants on here that were cast and I wondered why...especially when you know someone who tried out and went through all the interviews and such and wasn't called back final time. Maybe they thought she needed it b/c of her knees. Or they want to show America that you can still loose weight at her age and with knees or other injuries. Who knows what goes through the minds of the producers
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2 View Post
    Not sure why she was cast. BUT at same time there are always contestants on here that were cast and I wondered why...especially when you know someone who tried out and went through all the interviews and such and wasn't called back final time. Maybe they thought she needed it b/c of her knees. Or they want to show America that you can still loose weight at her age and with knees or other injuries. Who knows what goes through the minds of the producers
    The more I think about it this seems the reason that you can take back your life and be healthy and active regardless of how old you are and what injuries you have. Still trying to imagine Bonnie attempt a marathon is rather gruesome.
    JulieAnn likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    The more I think about it this seems the reason that you can take back your life and be healthy and active regardless of how old you are and what injuries you have. Still trying to imagine Bonnie attempt a marathon is rather gruesome.
    Yes this makes sense I suppose. It is not fun to watch though. She will not be able to do the marathon and she is the next to go when the blue team bottoms out. She needs to exercise in a pool and do only upper body weights while seated, until she has her knees replaced. Anna had her on that treadmill on all 4 sections of that challenge. Bob had his injured person only doing upper body.

mandmmom, how old is your friend and how heavy? I am curious about this.

It is glaring, to me, that the women they choose all have the same body type. I have seen no one with an apple shape. I am guessing that this is because the end result is more dramatic with women who can reduce down to show and hour glass figure. Most of them are heavy in the legs and bottom. I think they aim to see that waist appear because it just reads better. Also, almost all are photogenic and attractive.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 10-06-2011 at 10:23 AM.
    JulieAnn likes this.

Shoepie....the person I'm referring too is a BIL and SIL of a friend...Her husband's brother and wife. I saw pics and my guess is that he is in the 300's and she is in high 200's. They tried out the last couple season.

My dad had total knee replacement at age 71 this past spring. He is 6'2" and weighs maybe 170lbs. Very fit man...grew up on a farm, army, retired from Ford, and since retirement opened his own business hanging gutters and home improvement. Never any health issues at all! The only reason why he needed total knee replacement is b/c of arthitis in his knees and going up and down ladders most of his life. He said it was the worst thing he had ever been through (he broke all his ribs when I was in high school). Anyway, he came over Saturday to look at our hot water heater b/c we had no hot water and I noticed he wasn't walking right. So, being a daddy's girl I asked him what was wrong. His knee has been bothering him and he is having a hard time walking!!!! I can't imagine him doing a marathon and he is in great shape!!!

I have never really thought about the women all being the same shape. I'll have to mentally make note of that for next week.

FORT Fogey

On the woman's body type. Think back. Every remember seeing a woman with skinny legs (usually shapely with this type) and heavy in the upper body? Never. There have been some who don't have extremely heavy legs but all of them had a distinct waist, even under the fat you can see that it would emerge. I am so sure of this I would bet serious money. Personality, of course, is very important too.
    JulieAnn likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    She needs to exercise in a pool and do only upper body weights while seated, until she has her knees replaced. Anna had her on that treadmill on all 4 sections of that challenge. Bob had his injured person only doing upper body.
    I thought Bonnie was on a combo of treadmill and stair climber...I agree, needs more aqua and upper body. She already has one knee replacement, they were talking about the other knee that is shot. My partner had one knee done last September, and also had a bad other knee, and weight is contributing too - but she was not ready for another replacement, it's the most painful, long rehab imaginable. (and you have to be really careful not to fall on the artificial knee)

I know a lady that has this EXACT body--up until she had her first child (all through her teens and mid 20s) she was thin/average. Now, 30 years later, she has thin legs and a huge waist/chest/everything. Knowing that she was thin for more than a quarter of her life I wonder if she could ever get back to an average figure...but with the disparity and knowing how some people slim down (sometimes larger people just cant get "thin"..they can get rid of all the fat and still look thicker (I know someone like this too)) I just don't know if it is possible.

I also wonder if people with this figure can slim down the same way as most of the females on TBL. Very interesting....

Some of the people on this show are so large it's nearly impossible to tell their body type. I don't think contestants are chosen on that basis, anyway. Once intense exercise starts, one can sculpt their body so that certain problem areas-large behind, heavy thighs, thick waist-are minimized. The results on TBL are dramatic because their diet & exercise regimens are so dramatic. The average person trying to lose weight can't hope to mirror TBL activity.

I also don't think it's quite fair to judge the trainers' choice of exercises...we only see a few edited minutes of 6-hour, 7-day-a-week workouts. We have no idea of what the vast majority of their workout day is comprised of. They're not on treadmills for 4-6 hours at a time.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast