Several things to note about this episode:
1. Thank you producers for making the show one hour. A 2 hour show drags things on so much that its ridiculous. A 1 hour show can easily show all the emotion and twists the contestants are facing.
2. I respected Rulon before this episode, but now I realize how much of a crazy man he is. Now I think he is even ineligible for the at home prize, since that is the rule on the Australian version of the show and both countries pretty much use the same rules for the show.
3. Stop letting Tara compete in challenges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She won every single solitary individual challenge in her season (most of them with a come from behind victory) that had a level playing field, and she'll certainly win any challenge Biggest Loser gives her. Letting her compete in that challenge was completely unfair and uncalled for.
4. What is up with these original Team Unknown Trainers people. Moses, Justin, and even Rulon could of won the competition had they not quit. I understand parents self-sacrificing themselves for their kids, but not for people whom you've known only for a few weeks.
5. I fell very bad for Austin. He could of kept Moses in the game despite his pleas and then his dad and Kaylee probably wouldn't of been eliminated. Now he will certainly be eliminated if he falls below these last 2 weeks. I hope he says above, smashes it at home, and wins the competition.
6. I wonder what they're going to do now that Rulon outright quit and someone still went home this week. Will another eliminated contestant come back? Will there be no semi-finale? Will there be a final 2 this season?
Rulon doesn't have any kids now, but he did have a daughter with his first wife, who died in a car accident (the daughter, don't know about the wife). He wants to make a comeback in Graeco-Roman wrestling. He got a degree in PE and orginally planned to be a gym teacher---maybe he should move in that direction---then he'd actually make some money, they'd have health insurance for the babies he'd like to have (of course maybe his wife has a good job, who knows)... He's been working as a motivational speaker...not sure what kind of hit this last move will be for his career in that area. He has a learning disability but finished college. Has had a lot of accidents and lost a middle toe to frostbite.
All the above is from wikipedia and another site about him wanting to get back into wrestling---pops right up when you google him. An article by Matthew Roth from SB Nation Newsletters (sorry, I don't see how to locate the website). So maybe a grain of salt needed here and there.
I agree, too bad they had Tara do this challenge, inspiring as it can be on some levels. She should have just cheered them on. I think for Rulon losing the Wheaties box cover AND losing a competition like that "to a girl" were probably the last straw. And the man could stand to lose some more weight. Yes, you can say he has "issues", but if the goal is to get people to get healthy...well, he isn't yet. Better, but not all good.
I didn't get a chance to see the episode, but I agree that bringing in a competitor from another season as anything more than an inspiration is unfair. Tara has had a lot longer to get in shape and stay there, and she's had her shot at fame from the show. She doesn't need another. If they wanted to include her in the contest, maybe the prize should have been something like whoever came in first among the current contestants got to join her at some inspirational speaking event, where they'd both get to talk about their experiences on the show. That way she'd be included without actually competing directly against them.
I didn't mind when they showed previous competitors all competing in a triathalon together, because that seemed more in the spirit of the show. They weren't competing just against each other or for a prize, but for themselves and were showing that even if some of them had gained some weight back, they were still committed to pursuing a more active lifestyle. They weren't perfect, but they weren't giving up, and they were all still now capable of doing something they probably never thought they would be able to do.
I do agree that Tara should not have gotten to compete but I don't think that should be an excuse to quit...if that is why Rulan quit then he has some other issues, deeper issues to deal with.
I think I would like to try it but don't want to waste my money.
Now to be OT - my daughter and I thought the purple team would be long gone by now because a lot of women just don't last as long as some of the men on the show. I am surprise they are the only original team still intact!
I have been reading that there is a strong possibility that Rulon was disqualifed and was allowed to quit to save face and the show will not disclose what the disqualification was for. Rulon was not scheduled for any media questions after he left the show. I am sure eventually it will all come out.