+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1/25 Show Discussion ***Spoilers***

FORT Fogey

Re: 1/25 Show Discussion ***Spoilers***

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4164676;
    If you are boxer you don't just box to get into shape, there is a lot of weight training and running, jump rope etc for cardio the editors are just not showing it.

As for Jillian wanting a breakdown of her contestants. Jillian is also a life coach and therefore applies both personal training and life coaching on her group.
    Being a life coach is not the same thing as being a trained therapist--depending on the program, a certified life coach may have actually relatively few hours of training. If these people have deep-seated psychological issues related to their obesity, the contestants would be better served by an actual psychologist specializing in such issues than by Jillian. If someone doesn't care to get into deeply personal issues on camera, they shouldn't be forced to, because Jillian or Bob or the show wants that person to get angry or teary for the cameras.

FORT Fogey

Disappointing show since I only like the challenges and weigh-ins. This was a very lame challenge. Who would sacrifice a loss to choose which team went to the new trainers for a week? Who cares?

Interesting that the calorie total was about 1000 for the other team's total for the entire day. That is very low with all that exercise. No wonder they lost such trememdous amounts that first week. Yowza. If I want to take off a few, I drop my calories to 1000 and lose just watching TV and perhaps a stroll in the neighborhood for a cocktail down the street!

I don't find the new trainers compelling and I detest anything to do with boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4165061;
    Being a life coach is not the same thing as being a trained therapist--depending on the program, a certified life coach may have actually relatively few hours of training. If these people have deep-seated psychological issues related to their obesity, the contestants would be better served by an actual psychologist specializing in such issues than by Jillian. If someone doesn't care to get into deeply personal issues on camera, they shouldn't be forced to, because Jillian or Bob or the show wants that person to get angry or teary for the cameras.
    The contestants are grown adults if they don't want to talk then they shouldn't. Still it is a reality tv show, it is filmed for ratings and tears and breakdowns are ratings. If this show gets folks so upset then why watch?

Also folks know exactly what they need to get camera time on this show and I don't doubt that some of the contestants act for the camera.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

1000 calories is what the contestants usually eat in one day.
    There's no place like home!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

One of the men on of the teams---the Olympic gold medal guy I think, was saying that he burned 8000 calories in a day....
    I agree, Green is going to have a bonding advantage. If it were me I might have sent myself and my partner over just to see what was what over there.

One disadvantage with all the coddling is that they aren't learning how to cook all that food and count the calories for themselves in the same way. But the made beds and generally posher setting does seem pleasant!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4166105;
    One of the men on of the teams---the Olympic gold medal guy I think, was saying that he burned 8000 calories in a day....
    I agree, Green is going to have a bonding advantage. If it were me I might have sent myself and my partner over just to see what was what over there.

One disadvantage with all the coddling is that they aren't learning how to cook all that food and count the calories for themselves in the same way. But the made beds and generally posher setting does seem pleasant!

I think it's a disadvantage that they aren't learning to cook, but at least they post the calories, so they could learn to count/estimate calories in different options. Actually, the way they're handling meals kind of reminds me of programs like Jennie Craig or Nutri-system, where the food comes pre-packaged. I've never done anything like that, but I suppose if someone isn't a very good cook or really doesn't like to cook, that would be an option, and it does appear to work for some people. Hasn't Valerie Bertinelli been doing the Jennie Craig thing for a while now?

And yeah, the posher setting does seem pleasant, and the trainers aren't awful, so I think that at this point, the unknowns have an advantage. I'm also a little unclear as to whether there will ever be a merge--how much room is there at the ranch? And can all four trainers really share the gym space? I know some of the workouts involve outdoor activities, but a lot of them are in the gym too. Of course, I suppose it's also possible that at a merge point that everyone might end up at the unknowns' training camp too. There's no particular reason they'd have to be at the ranch, since they're paying for both places this season, and the unknowns' place seems to be a bit bigger (at least the pool is).

I also agree that it might end up having been an advantage for Green Team to have been with the unknowns for the week. Given their four weeks of immunity, if there is a merge situation, the unknowns go in with a big advantage in terms of numbers. If they've bonded with Green, they might go after someone else below the yellow line instead of Green, unless they feel Green is too much of a threat.

Really, I could live without the eliminations and the monetary prizes. For that matter, I bet they could still get contestants even without those things, because there are plenty of people desperate to lose weight, which is ultimately the far bigger prize, provided they keep it off.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4165572;
    The contestants are grown adults if they don't want to talk then they shouldn't. Still it is a reality tv show, it is filmed for ratings and tears and breakdowns are ratings. If this show gets folks so upset then why watch?

Also folks know exactly what they need to get camera time on this show and I don't doubt that some of the contestants act for the camera.
    Yes. Therapy is overrated anyway and Jillian does just fine. They all signed on for a TV show which is all about entertainment. They are happy to be there and some will benefit and some will fail in the long run. It is up to each individual to figure out their life. It is NOT the responsibility of this show to do anything more than they do.

Quote Originally Posted by captain;4166032;
    1000 calories is what the contestants usually eat in one day.
    That is not true, once you get under 1200 a day you hit starvation mode. It has been documented that the women eat about 1200 - 1300 calories a day and the men 1500 to 1700 calories a day.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;4166226;
    Yes. Therapy is overrated anyway and Jillian does just fine. They all signed on for a TV show which is all about entertainment. They are happy to be there and some will benefit and some will fail in the long run. It is up to each individual to figure out their life. It is NOT the responsibility of this show to do anything more than they do.
    One thing I did find out is that the contestants that are sent home, that production assistants do keep in touch with them to see how they are doing and to get them help when they need it. It is the production company's best interest to help the eliminated do the best they can while that season is being taped. On the other hand, last night on FitTV they broadcast Reality Show Loser, the story of season 4 winner Eric and how he almost regained all his weight. The one really angry about his situation was his wife. His wife blamed the show for her husband's weight regain and how after the show was over they don't give you any support. Eric was much more laid back about the situation. Even his wife indicated that he seemed to be an all or nothing guy. Either he worked out like a maniac or did nothing at all. Still the show did support you for 6 months. He did win $250,000. Did he expect the fame to last forever???

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4166260;
    One thing I did find out is that the contestants that are sent home, that production assistants do keep in touch with them to see how they are doing and to get them help when they need it. It is the production company's best interest to help the eliminated do the best they can while that season is being taped. On the other hand, last night on FitTV they broadcast Reality Show Loser, the story of season 4 winner Eric and how he almost regained all his weight. The one really angry about his situation was his wife. His wife blamed the show for her husband's weight regain and how after the show was over they don't give you any support. Eric was much more laid back about the situation. Even his wife indicated that he seemed to be an all or nothing guy. Either he worked out like a maniac or did nothing at all. Still the show did support you for 6 months. He did win $250,000. Did he expect the fame to last forever???
    I'm an all or nothing gal...but am learning to not be that way. It's hard though. Eric's wife sounds like a famewhore. But I don't know her so can't say for sure. You have to accept responsibility for your own actions. He should be blaming himself for the weight gain and maybe he is (I didn't see the show) but she should be blaming herself also. If it weren't for my husband encouraging me and holding me responsible for what I ate...I wouldn't have lost my weight. Instead of blaming the show she should be encouraging him to move forward and not look back. She should be helping in any way she can. Is she overweight? I can't remember. The show may be a game reality show but they are still teaching them how to change their life. These contestants should walk away with more knowledge than the average American and they should take the knowledge with them forever.

Off my soap box....lots more I can say but will refrain.

I don't have an issue with Bob and Jillian counseling these people. How many times do we counsel our friends? The contestants know that B&J aren't professionals in this area but from experience they know what they are talking about. Also, I agree with Bearcata...
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast