+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marathon training for The Biggest Loser

Marathon training for The Biggest Loser

This is a pet subject for me since I'm currently training to do my first half-marathon. I found this excellent and insightful article on the Runner's World website. I only wish TBL offered this much detail. I'm not posting the article here as it's quite lengthy, but please do give it a read - there is a whole lot of advice regarding marathon training and nutrition, and it focuses on the Season 10 finalists (Ada, Patrick, Frado, and Elizabeth). It's really inspiring...I had been waffling on whether or not to stick to a 10K this spring or go for the half-marathon, and after reading this I was sold.

Runner's World: The Biggest Loser Contestants Run a Marathon

Anyone else training or thinking about training?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Re: Marathon training for The Biggest Loser

I am ramping up to run my second marathon in May. I ran my first two years ago, between pregnancies. Now the last baby is out and this is a great way to get my body back!! My marathon is in the Poconos on May 15.. It's a very friendly run, overall downhill. There is also a team marathon option (2 runners split the distance halfsies), and a 5k. My time 2 years ago was 3:57:10. My goal this time is 3:50, now that I know the course and myself better.

My husband is training with me, it would be a huge help if he could keep up, but he's not as much a natural runner and his time 3 years ago was 4:40. Still, training is helping us spend a lot of time together working towards a common goal

I fully encourage anyone to try distance running. It's really not THAT hard, once you get your head around it. The biggest part of the battle is getting comfortable with the idea that you're going to jog, and you're going to keep doing it for a long time.

Oh, and runnersworld.com was where my husband found his training guide when he trained for his marathon. I'm more of the "listen to your body" school, but he found their resources very helpful.
    _(Moo!)

That's awesome, MamaAmy. I'm not brave enough to attempt a full marathon - I'm full of anxiety over the half I'm going to do in May. I wish my husband would run with me but he's just not a runner. He's a phenomenal swimmer, though. We were throwing the idea of doing the Subway triathalon as a team - I can't swim and he can't run.

I love runnersword.com. I got my training schedule there as well, very user-friendly.

I found a couple of things in the article of particular interest regarding the contestants - for instance, Ada was the overall healthiest participant. That certainly explains her ability in the gym.
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

CMS
    FORT Newbie

I must say, it is inspirational to see this type of discussion. I started "running" a couple of years ago. (I am using quotations because it is a bit more a shuffle than a run per se). I started slowly because I have some weight to lose and didn't want to over stress my knees or any other body part. Seriously - I started at a 5 second "jog". Today, my running partner and I ran for 30 minutes - we were so proud - it could have been because it was soooo cold outside we had to keep moving. We were doing 6 minute "jog" and 1 minute walk before. I am definitely not ready for a marathon or a half marathon, but I have been thinking that I need to train for some kind of run, even if it is a 5 km.

Would love to hear updates about how you progress!

I just started training for my third mini last week. It's been cold here and the last two years I've trained on a treadmil in the cold. Now I regret that b/c I am sick! Second week in and I can't run. Go figure. Also, I had lots of injuries over the summer so I haven't ran or worked out consisently in months and am up 25lbs. So, my 10m/mile is now more like a 12m/mile but I will loose this weight and I will improve. I'm not letting it get to me.

AJane, my first one was awesome! The sense of accomplishment was amazing! Good luck to you.

MamaAmyG, wow, I have no desire for a full marathon. Mentally, I barely make it through a mini!!!
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Running has been that thing that helps me retain my identity as a person while having become a mom. You know what I mean - you have to find a hobby or something or you start going nuts. It's such a great release for me, to just expend all my stresses and frustrations on a treadmill. I love me some endorphins!

I'm so excited for you guys and your goals. You can totally do it. I do not like running races all that much, but what I have learned at any of the handful I have done or attended is that everyone is happy for every runner. It's not about your time, or your place. They are all just happy that you came out to participate. I'm thinking of looking for a few local fun runs for my older two kids this year. At least for my 4-year-old, she would love it.
    _(Moo!)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAmyG;4144980;
    Running has been that thing that helps me retain my identity as a person while having become a mom. You know what I mean - you have to find a hobby or something or you start going nuts. It's such a great release for me, to just expend all my stresses and frustrations on a treadmill. I love me some endorphins!

I'm so excited for you guys and your goals. You can totally do it. I do not like running races all that much, but what I have learned at any of the handful I have done or attended is that everyone is happy for every runner. It's not about your time, or your place. They are all just happy that you came out to participate. I'm thinking of looking for a few local fun runs for my older two kids this year. At least for my 4-year-old, she would love it.
    Interesting you should say that because I have claimed running as "my" thing as well. My husband and kids are super-busy with their own sports and although I worked out, it wasn't the same as having a "thing", if you know what I mean. When I ran my first 5K this past fall, they all came out to watch and cheer me on. It was the first time I was the one doing something and they were the ones in the crowd supporting me. It was awesome.

CMS, congratulations on your progress. The first few runs for me just sucked. I started running for my dog's benefit - he was overweight and needed something more than leisurely walks, so he is my running buddy. Now that we've got several feet of snow on the ground, I'm on the treadmill and he sure misses his runs.

madmom, thanks. I am super-pumped over this. I've pretty much discarded weight-training and am sticking with yoga on the days I don't run to try to stay as injury-free as possible. Don't know if that is the right strategy but it's working so far.

I work out during my lunch hour every day. I finally met some ladies here that, like me, like to run but it's more about the release than speed. They've taught me this actually. I love sports but can't play. I was the prissy chick growing up and still considered the prissy mom who dresses up all the time and contstantly looks put together. Running has become a thing I do b/c I can get out of the dress clothes and become "sportsy". My poor girls...are so like me. My athletic hubby is in trouble.

mamaamyg.... before the mini we have a Triple Crown. The first one is a 5k, then 6 miles, then 10 miles. Then the mini. Anyway, my 8yo wants to run the 5k with me. If the weather ever gets a little warmer without snow on ground I plan to take her for runs on Saturdays. Something we can do together. She is looking forward to it. I'm hoping this will get her to like running b/c she needs something active. She used to dance but she doesn't anymore b/c she has academic team twice a week, choir once a week, and piano once a week. She is my smart, artsy, muscially talented girl. I just want her to get some sort of physical exercise in weekly. Not that she needs to loose weight (only 50lbs at age 8) but she needs it to start a pattern of healthy lifestyle now.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

FORT Fan

I'm so happy to see all of the runners on this forum. Congrats to all of you! I'm doing my fifth half-marathon on January 30. Running keeps me sane and focused on keep my weight off. I feel fairly confident that I could do a full marathon, but I don't feel that I can make the time commitment needed for training right now. It's on my list of things to do, but it will have to wait a couple of years. I subscribe to Runner's World magazine and really enjoyed the article on TBL and their marathon training.

Good luck to you AJane! And congrats to mandmmom and MamaAmyG! Hang in there, CMS. You're doing great! Check out Couch to 5K on coolrunning.com and sign up for a 5K. I have found that having a race on my calendar keeps me going.

I used the "couch to 5k" during my weight loss journey....that eventually helped me with my first mini!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast