+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marathon training for The Biggest Loser

Re: Marathon training for The Biggest Loser

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4142814;
    This is a pet subject for me since I'm currently training to do my first half-marathon. I found this excellent and insightful article on the Runner's World website. I only wish TBL offered this much detail. I'm not posting the article here as it's quite lengthy, but please do give it a read - there is a whole lot of advice regarding marathon training and nutrition, and it focuses on the Season 10 finalists (Ada, Patrick, Frado, and Elizabeth). It's really inspiring...I had been waffling on whether or not to stick to a 10K this spring or go for the half-marathon, and after reading this I was sold.

Runner's World: The Biggest Loser Contestants Run a Marathon

Anyone else training or thinking about training?
    My hubby has run something like 7 or so marathons. So This summer I sign up for not just my first but my first and second half-marathons and first marathon relay. And in my training plan I ran my first 10K AND my first trail runs. LOL burned myself out a bit so I'm only doing one half this year. Hurt my knee in the relay so I've basically taken a couple of months off running. Hope to start up again next week and keep a steady fitness level until the summer for my race. I'm slow, but I did improve my half time by almost 10 minutes in 6 weeks between my two half marathons. I used Hal Hidgon's beginners half marathon plan. It is a good one: Half Marathon Training: Novice

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4148260;
    I have never heard of wogging. I'm thinking I was doing it when I started trying to run, without knowing what it was called.

Jexter, I also live in a brutally cold climate. I prefer running when it's cooler, within reason - but we have 4-foot snowbanks here and the sidewalks are treacherous with ice. I've switched to the treadmill till the warmer weather arrives. Our public city-owned facilities are much cheaper than private gyms like Gold's. I would rather be outside running with my dog, though.

I am concentrating on staying injury-free. I've suffered from back and knee problems for years, and those aren't bothering me now, but what is sore is the muscle that runs along my outer thigh...can't remember the name of it. My physiotherapist told me it is a common ache/pain in runners. I have sciatica so the pain is only on my left leg, but man, the muscle is unbeliveably tight. The physio told me to use one of those foam cylinders to ease the tension, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has any recommendations for relief?
    IT band.

Foam rollers work, it is painful but help loosen the fascia, the membrane that lies over muscles and ligaments. They are some types of stretching, yoga poses and pilates that also help but it is a matter of trying different excersies to find out what works for your body type. Also try some deep tissue massage.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4149324;
    IT band.

Foam rollers work, it is painful but help loosen the fascia, the membrane that lies over muscles and ligaments. They are some types of stretching, yoga poses and pilates that also help but it is a matter of trying different excersies to find out what works for your body type. Also try some deep tissue massage.
    Ah, thanks. I've been doing yoga on the days I don't run. It's lovely relief for a while, but it doesn't last. I guess I will be heading back to the massage therapist...I went a few months ago but I think I will have to make a habit of it, for now at least. Fortunately our insurance covers a few visits every year.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4149612;
    Ah, thanks. I've been doing yoga on the days I don't run. It's lovely relief for a while, but it doesn't last. I guess I will be heading back to the massage therapist...I went a few months ago but I think I will have to make a habit of it, for now at least. Fortunately our insurance covers a few visits every year.
    The trouble with these chronic conditions, some are because of repeated movements, some because of old injuries and muscle imbalances, some a combination of all of these. Your have to pick and chose different combinations or therapies and exercises to solve the problem. It's not a one size fits all type of situation. My massage therapist highly recommends heating pads (really helps to heat a buckey pad and wear it over your back during the evening, you don't have to do it all the time just occasionally), stretching and yoga. I personally had back pain and very stiff hips. But I have been sitting at a desk job for years. I finally got a good ergonomic chair and workstation at work. Because I had gone to get an assessment I knew what to look for in a chair and got a better chair for my home office. I was very disappointed that I did not feel instant relief. Now 6 months later, all the upper back stiffness is gone and part of the stiffness in my hips is also gone. I had also increased my exercise from once a week to 3 times a week. Doing the extra activity lubes the joints. In fact my massage therapist says the more activity you do the less I would need her. I also recently started a pilates reformer class and boy am I aware of all the muscles imbalances in my legs from sprains in the ankles and knees from when I was a kid. After my last pilates class the following day I didn't even realize that I wasn't stiff from sitting in traffic during my morning commute and I bounded up the stairs in front of my building. It wasn't until I was inside that I realized what I did. Wow...and I am not even doing any of this stuff everyday. I am just trying to incorporate all these little changes into my lifestyle.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Thanks for the feedback, Bearcata! I don't think I can possibly do any more physical activity...I'm going 5 or 6 days a week currently. Hate sitting around too much - at work I'm on and off my feet, but some days mostly off which can be torture (it also makes me more sore). Another issue I have is that my legs are slightly different lengths, which apparently contributes to my back pain. I'm thinking another option I should look into is orthotics, at least for my running shoes.
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

CMS
    FORT Newbie

AJane, - I just read your message and thought I would respond about a speaking topic at the last running clinic I took. A chiropractor talked about the "Bowen Technique" which is a "unique form of neuromuscular re-patterning". Now, I've never had any Bowen therapy so I can't personally recommend it, but it may be something to get more information about. The handout I have says that this technique is used for misalignments, muscle tensions & strains and a variety of musculoskeletal problems (which would probably include the stress put on the body from having one leg longer than the other?). Just a thought.....

Bumping this thread just to announce I finally ran my first half-marathon this past weekend. My God, was it hard. The longest run on my training schedule was 8 miles, and I was terrified at the thought of running the 13.1, but it was a great experience. I got a horrendous leg cramp at the 16th kilometre which had a nasty effect on my time, but I am unfazed - I plan to do it all over again next year and improve my time by at least 10 minutes. I think one half per year is enough for me, for now anyway. I do have a 10K lined up next month and then I'll probably do at least one more 5K before the year is up.

Congratulations to you AJane! What an accomplishment, and what a great goal. Isn't the atmosphere something else?

You reminded me that I posted in here about my own race, which was also on Sunday in the Poconos - that wasn't yours, was it?

Anyway, I did well through mile 16, and fell off pace around mile 20, but much less than the last time I ran it 2 years ago. I finished 3:54:29 - yay! Didn't quite pull off 3:50, but maybe for the Philadelphia marathon in the fall. My husband ran 4:28:30. I'm thinking a spring and a fall marathon each year will be a nice hobby for me to maintain.

I'm finally starting to walk normally again today. How are you feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAmyG View Post
    I am ramping up to run my second marathon in May. I ran my first two years ago, between pregnancies. Now the last baby is out and this is a great way to get my body back!! My marathon is in the Poconos on May 15.. It's a very friendly run, overall downhill. There is also a team marathon option (2 runners split the distance halfsies), and a 5k. My time 2 years ago was 3:57:10. My goal this time is 3:50, now that I know the course and myself better.

My husband is training with me, it would be a huge help if he could keep up, but he's not as much a natural runner and his time 3 years ago was 4:40. Still, training is helping us spend a lot of time together working towards a common goal

I fully encourage anyone to try distance running. It's really not THAT hard, once you get your head around it. The biggest part of the battle is getting comfortable with the idea that you're going to jog, and you're going to keep doing it for a long time.

Oh, and runnersworld.com was where my husband found his training guide when he trained for his marathon. I'm more of the "listen to your body" school, but he found their resources very helpful.
    _(Moo!)

Mama....that is like a little over a 9min mile!!! That is awesome!!!! I'm proud of both you and AJane!!

I had to skip the mini this year :-(. For a lot of reasons but my knee is still hurting from last year. I have a doctor appt in a couple weeks. I want to make sure it's nothing serious before I start running again. But I've put weight on so I think I need to focus on loosing some weight while I can't run....
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAmyG View Post
    Congratulations to you AJane! What an accomplishment, and what a great goal. Isn't the atmosphere something else?

You reminded me that I posted in here about my own race, which was also on Sunday in the Poconos - that wasn't yours, was it?

Anyway, I did well through mile 16, and fell off pace around mile 20, but much less than the last time I ran it 2 years ago. I finished 3:54:29 - yay! Didn't quite pull off 3:50, but maybe for the Philadelphia marathon in the fall. My husband ran 4:28:30. I'm thinking a spring and a fall marathon each year will be a nice hobby for me to maintain.

I'm finally starting to walk normally again today. How are you feeling?
    Nope, I'm in Canada. Last weekend was crazy here for charity runs - 2 half-marathons and another 3 run/walks. Your time is amazing, congrats! That's a Boston qualifying time, isn't it?

My legs killed me for 3 days after, and my bad knee is still squawking occasionally. But it was worth it. mandmmom, I have been been dealing with knee pain since I was a kid, so I feel for you. Fortunately I've been able to manage mine pretty well in the last 10 years or so, but I figured running a 21K would make things painful for a while afterwards.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast