+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marathon training for The Biggest Loser

FORT Fogey

Re: Marathon training for The Biggest Loser

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4142814;
    This is a pet subject for me since I'm currently training to do my first half-marathon. I found this excellent and insightful article on the Runner's World website. I only wish TBL offered this much detail. I'm not posting the article here as it's quite lengthy, but please do give it a read - there is a whole lot of advice regarding marathon training and nutrition, and it focuses on the Season 10 finalists (Ada, Patrick, Frado, and Elizabeth). It's really inspiring...I had been waffling on whether or not to stick to a 10K this spring or go for the half-marathon, and after reading this I was sold.

Runner's World: The Biggest Loser Contestants Run a Marathon

Anyone else training or thinking about training?
    OMG. I found this thread in the nick of time. I've been dropping weight steadily for the lat 5-6 months. I still have about 30 pounds to go (est. 60-70 lbs in total). For whatever reason, I found the last two seasons of the Biggest Loser exceptionally motivating, and the last season really kept me on track with my own journey.

I'm having trouble getting into the current season of the show though. Combined with brutal winters where I live (and no money or time for gyms and equipment or desire, really; I LOVE and prefer jogging), my outdoor jogging routine has slowed.

To keep me on track and also to fullfill a long-time desire, I signed up for a full marathon this spring. I have no idea how to train for it, so the info shared here will be really appreciated. THANK YOU!

Best of luck to all others working on this type of thing

FORT Newbie

I wogg (walk + jog = wogg) and have successfully wogged two half marathons and one 13k (i was 4 months pregnant for that...) and it is the best thing that I have ever done. The proudest moments I've ever had have been crossing the finish line at those races. It's not about the race itself, but the training. I'm pregnant again with #2 and I was told to stop running with #1 so I haven't been wogging lately. I'm planning to beg the dr to let me wogg a 5k at the end of Feb just so that I can get out of the house and move a bit!

CMS
    FORT Newbie

I'm not sure if people are aware of this website but MapMyRun.com allows you to use a map to put in a running route and it will tell you how far it is. I live in a small town and even my town is on it.

Also, love the term "wogging"!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CMS;4146623;
    I'm not sure if people are aware of this website but MapMyRun.com allows you to use a map to put in a running route and it will tell you how far it is. I live in a small town and even my town is on it.

Also, love the term "wogging"!
    Thanks, and me too. I never knew what to call what I do, but "wogging" may be it.

I "wogg" too. Also, lindssay22, I was always told if you were a runner or "wogger" before becoming pregnant you can still do it. Not sure how true that is. I didn't exercise before pregnancy so didn't during. It wasn't until after #2 that I got serious about my health.

Jexter, there are a lot of articles online about how to run or "wogg" in the cold. They say it's actually better to run in the cold than in the heat. I will look for the articles I found. If you want them let me know.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;4147082;
    I "wogg" too. Also, lindssay22, I was always told if you were a runner or "wogger" before becoming pregnant you can still do it. Not sure how true that is. I didn't exercise before pregnancy so didn't during. It wasn't until after #2 that I got serious about my health.

Jexter, there are a lot of articles online about how to run or "wogg" in the cold. They say it's actually better to run in the cold than in the heat. I will look for the articles I found. If you want them let me know.
    My doctors gave me the green light, and I kept doing aerobic exercise up to and including the day of delivery for each of my 3 pregnancies. Definitely talk to your doctor about it and listen to your body. If you can do it, go for it! I swear it makes the entire delivery experience - before, during, and after - much more comfortable.
    _(Moo!)

FORT Newbie

i was wogging during my first pregnancy even did a few races. i was scheduled to wogg a half marathon six weeks before my due date and i was put on bedrest at 30 weeks and delivered at 35 weeks. with this one, we didn't want to risk anything so i stopped wogging but it's been 21 weeks now and i'm itching to get out, but after what happened last time... i'm just nervous.

I call it jwogging. Just my 2 cents.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;4147082;

Thanks. I wonder what the cold weather does for skin. My skin looks better after wogging in the cold. I seem to lose a few years...summer? not so much.

I have never heard of wogging. I'm thinking I was doing it when I started trying to run, without knowing what it was called.

Jexter, I also live in a brutally cold climate. I prefer running when it's cooler, within reason - but we have 4-foot snowbanks here and the sidewalks are treacherous with ice. I've switched to the treadmill till the warmer weather arrives. Our public city-owned facilities are much cheaper than private gyms like Gold's. I would rather be outside running with my dog, though.

I am concentrating on staying injury-free. I've suffered from back and knee problems for years, and those aren't bothering me now, but what is sore is the muscle that runs along my outer thigh...can't remember the name of it. My physiotherapist told me it is a common ache/pain in runners. I have sciatica so the pain is only on my left leg, but man, the muscle is unbeliveably tight. The physio told me to use one of those foam cylinders to ease the tension, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has any recommendations for relief?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast