+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021

Thread: 5/25 Finale Discussion *SPOILERS*

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: 5/25 Finale Discussion *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by elleprn;3915146;
    PWS: Just Google Abdominoplasty
    I tried "excess skin removal after weight loss" and found some very interesting photos of what was done, the scars, etc. Wow, have to say. All the flesh from the pubic area to above the belly button (they make you a new one!) in one case..... There's also a book by a guy who says you don't have to have surgery....that it has to do with having lost muscle as well as fat, etc., and that the hanging skin still has a layer of fat in it, so you need to build up the muscle (eat protein) and even regain some of the muscle weight you lost, while losing those last lbs. of fat hiding in the folds....
    I wish the really big losers would discuss this issue a year or two later... the ones who kept it off like Helen.

I agree this is a huge opportunity for the contestants. For the rest of the discussion we will have to disagree and move on to the next topic.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3916398;
    I tried "excess skin removal after weight loss" and found some very interesting photos of what was done, the scars, etc. Wow, have to say. All the flesh from the pubic area to above the belly button (they make you a new one!) in one case..... There's also a book by a guy who says you don't have to have surgery....that it has to do with having lost muscle as well as fat, etc., and that the hanging skin still has a layer of fat in it, so you need to build up the muscle (eat protein) and even regain some of the muscle weight you lost, while losing those last lbs. of fat hiding in the folds....
    I wish the really big losers would discuss this issue a year or two later... the ones who kept it off like Helen.
    Remember Danny was on The Doctors and the plastic surgeon was going to perform that type of surgery on him? I'm hopeful that there will be a follow-up on that show. I notice he was not at the finale, but I can't recall offhand if the previous season's winner is usually at the following season's finale. I didn't see the entire marathon episode so I don't know if he was there either.

That lost-muscle theory is interesting, but I guess that if you've lost a massive amount of weight like most of the TBL contestants do - over 100 lbs - nothing you can do will improve the stretched-out skin. I assume other factors, like skin elasticity (which might be related to age) would affect the appearance of the abdomen. Though other areas, like the upper arms, inner thighs, and breasts might also require surgical repair to improve the appearance.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3916550;
    Remember Danny was on The Doctors and the plastic surgeon was going to perform that type of surgery on him? I'm hopeful that there will be a follow-up on that show. I notice he was not at the finale, but I can't recall offhand if the previous season's winner is usually at the following season's finale. I didn't see the entire marathon episode so I don't know if he was there either.

That lost-muscle theory is interesting, but I guess that if you've lost a massive amount of weight like most of the TBL contestants do - over 100 lbs - nothing you can do will improve the stretched-out skin. I assume other factors, like skin elasticity (which might be related to age) would affect the appearance of the abdomen. Though other areas, like the upper arms, inner thighs, and breasts might also require surgical repair to improve the appearance.

Danny was there - he was in the audience with Eric and a couple of the other past winners. He looked a little heavier (I thought he was too thin when he won anyway). But he still looked good. He had on a baggy shirt though, so I couldn't tell if he had the surgery yet.

As far as losing weight so quickly is concerned:

For your average person, losing weight at this rate would be concerning because your average person doesn't have hundreds of pounds to lose, nor 8 hours a day to work out. I think that if a person is eating the appropriate amount of calories and exercising, it doesn't matter how fast the weight comes off. It is obviously not going to come off that fast without all the exercise. I've listened to many of Jillian's podcasts (she used to have a radio show) and she stresses the importance of calorie counting, the nutritional content of your food, and a balance of cardio and strength training when it comes to an exercise routine. The weights are important for your body composition so that you build muscle as you lose fat. It is obviously a magical balance of everything that the trainers work on closely with their contestants.
    When someone loses at this rate by starving themselves and/or taking pills, then it is dangerous. And of course you run the risk of gaining it all back if you don't make lifestyle changes you can stick with. In the real world, most people with normal lives would struggle to find more than 2 hours a day to exercise. For many of us, getting in a solid 30 minutes daily is an achievement!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3916208;
    I've never seen medical evidence that losing weight quickly is "unhealthy". What health risks are associated with losing weight quickly, particularly if you're 100 lbs or more too heavy? It's unhealthy to carry that extra weight around - it's certainly not unhealthy to lose it. What about people who have gastic bypass surgery? They lose weight just as quickly, and with the added risks of a surgical procedure.
    There are certain health risks to losing weight too quickly. Gallbladder stones/attacks for one. With regards to the BL, there's the issue if they lose weight too quickly, without making it a lifestyle change, they will rebound when they get off the ranch. It is commonly held that the "safest" amount to lose (on a regular basis) per week is 1 - 2 pounds but I've also heard for heavier people that it is safe to lose 1 - 2 % of their body weight per week.

I know people complain about what will the show do next, how heavy will the contestants get etc. but I've always been of the opinion that it's just a show and it should be accepted as that. It's a commercial show to boot - they're after the dramatic stories and the ratings that go with them. I don't think they are really out to "change America" via the show - if they were, they would show more about their diet (which they do show a bit of, but not enough) and more about the mental challenge of having to lose a significant amount of weight (again, they show a little but not enough).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3916236;
    This is a reality tv show, this is not realistic. I personally think that losing this much weight so fast is not healthy nor realistic (nor does my doctor and I value his opinion) There will always be disagreement about the aspects of this show and this will be one.
    Count me in as someone who agrees with you, Captain!

Next dose of "reality" to the Biggest Loser? WOMEN MENSTUATE AND MEN DON'T....DISCUSS

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3916550;

One demonstration the author of the lost muscle book had to make his point was, pinch the skin on the back of your hand....that's what skin without fat feels like (for most people anyway). Now, if you've lost a lot of weight pinch that skin that is hanging down from your stomach....you can tell there's something there besides skin, and it's fat. I don't know if he's right or not as to it being fat, but it certainly is a different type of pinch.

+ Reply to Thread