+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 02/09 Show Discussion Thread ***SPOILERS***

Re: 02/09 Show Discussion Thread ***SPOILERS***

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3825818;
    I'm with the people who think Melissa bagged it this week even though I feel like a total cynic.
    I don't think she went home to compete for at home loser thought. She's right, that with a goal weight of 145 there's no way she can win....That would only be a 38% weight loss (if she started at 233), and we know that's not nearly enough even for the at home win. To hit the 55% level we seem to be going for these days she'd have to finish at 105 lbs. I don't know how tall she is, but she's way too tall for that!
    I think her motivation is to 1) go nyah nyah to Jillian, 2) get back to the kids, in part so Lance won't worry about them, but MOSTLY 3) to extract that kind of promise from the others to keep Lance until he hits 250....which would probably at least 3 weeks more. And since in her postscript she says she's been functionally a single mom for a long time now, that implies Lance stayed on the ranch for a long time. I think she thinks Lance can win. I don't...to hit 55% he'd have to weigh 164 if I've got his initial weight right. He looks too tall to do that.
    I did like that she had the kids exercising as well.
    I have to agree with you after thinking about this. There is no way they could win the money. And she did gain the pound to "redeem" herself....
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3825818;
    I'm with the people who think Melissa bagged it this week even though I feel like a total cynic.
    I don't think she went home to compete for at home loser thought. She's right, that with a goal weight of 145 there's no way she can win....That would only be a 38% weight loss (if she started at 233), and we know that's not nearly enough even for the at home win. To hit the 55% level we seem to be going for these days she'd have to finish at 105 lbs. I don't know how tall she is, but she's way too tall for that!
    I think her motivation is to 1) go nyah nyah to Jillian, 2) get back to the kids, in part so Lance won't worry about them, but MOSTLY 3) to extract that kind of promise from the others to keep Lance until he hits 250....which would probably at least 3 weeks more. And since in her postscript she says she's been functionally a single mom for a long time now, that implies Lance stayed on the ranch for a long time. I think she thinks Lance can win. I don't...to hit 55% he'd have to weigh 164 if I've got his initial weight right. He looks too tall to do that.
    I did like that she had the kids exercising as well.
    I posted everyone's height in the season 9 spoiler thread...
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

FORT Fan

Melissa is 5'6", Lance is 6'3". I would say there's no way that Lance will get down to the 160s, which someone pointed out is what he would need to get the 55% or so needed to win.

Melissa's goal weight is 145, and she can't win with that number. I still think she looks pretty good at 175, I doubt I'd want to see what she looks like at LESS than 145. But you never know what people will do. Keep in mind, the bottom of WW "healthy weight" range for a 5'6" woman is 120. Helen is 5'6" and she was 117 (I believe) at the finale. So there's always a chance that either or both of them could surprise everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;3826511;
    I posted everyone's height in the season 9 spoiler thread...
    Thanks mandmmom2. That was interesting, and surprising to see how tall many of the women are.

Melissa does look fine at 175, but I think that 130-135 would be a nicer weight, put her in a single-digit clothing size and a 2-piece bathing suit. However, she'd have to work hard and consistently to keep that up. If she's aiming for 145, then she's looking for a more comfortable and easier weight to maintain. Knowing her, though, she's saying 145 when she means that she's in the process of knocking herself out to be 15-20 lbs less than that for the finale so she can give the show and Jillian the proverbial middle finger.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3826755;
    Thanks mandmmom2. That was interesting, and surprising to see how tall many of the women are.

Melissa does look fine at 175, but I think that 130-135 would be a nicer weight, put her in a single-digit clothing size and a 2-piece bathing suit. However, she'd have to work hard and consistently to keep that up. If she's aiming for 145, then she's looking for a more comfortable and easier weight to maintain. Knowing her, though, she's saying 145 when she means that she's in the process of knocking herself out to be 15-20 lbs less than that for the finale so she can give the show and Jillian the proverbial middle finger.
    I agree that's the kind of person she seems to be... she'd love to do that, but 55% for her is I think 105 lbs. That's 15 lbs. below the lowest "normal" weight for a 5'6" woman according to sjjmom...really stretching it.
    Thanks for posting the heights, mandmmom2--surprised I missed it, but have less time this semester than last to play with these numbers...
    Hmmm Just went back and looked at some of crossingguard's summaries of the final % from the past few seasons...and the at home winners were at less than 50% lost...high 40's. 50% for her would mean a final weight of about 117 lbs. So that's doable. For her husband, 182. Maybe the at home prize is her goal... maybe she wants Lance on the ranch so he doesn't distract HER!
    Last edited by PWS; 02-12-2010 at 05:37 PM.

During Melissa's talks it was never about her losing weight, it was always about how Lance had to. I have a feeling this is an ultimatum from her...lose weight or her
    There's no place like home!

Haven't seen the show yet but for those discussing final percentages, bear in mind that last season started filming in mid-May and the finale was in early December, giving contestants just shy of seven months total. This year they started filming in mid-September and the finale will be in mid-May, which gives the contestants an extra two months or so in which to lose the weight, which would have helped anyone with weight left to lose.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3826949;
    During Melissa's talks it was never about her losing weight, it was always about how Lance had to. I have a feeling this is an ultimatum from her...lose weight or her
    I think there is something to this. Or at least something is going on with that marriage. I suspect Melissa isn't as bad as people are making her out to be and that Lance is more the problem. I don't buy that it's weight, either, but rather something more to the core of their relationship.

Just my opinion....

Can I just say....these numbers are AMAZING. 55% weight loss is absolutely incredible. Goodness....double the weight of a normal-size person is absolutely cray!
    Last edited by Jexter; 02-13-2010 at 02:11 PM.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3827545;
    I think there is something to this. Or at least something is going on with that marriage. I suspect Melissa isn't as bad as people are making her out to be and that Lance is more the problem. I don't buy that it's weight, either, but rather something more to the core of their relationship.

Just my opinion....

Can I just say....these numbers are AMAZING. 55% weight loss is absolutely incredible. Goodness....double the weight of a normal-size person is absolutely cray!
    I know... I am just stunned that anyone can do it, much less often more than one person.
    Missyboxer--that's interesting info that they have that extra weight loss time---that means that some of the really big folks have more of a chance than we might think.

I missed this episode when it aired, but my DVR caught it yesterday morning from 10am -noon. Do you think they are going to continue to air at a different time during the olympics or does it say somewhere that it is on a 3 week hiatis until the Olympics are over?
    I can't frown when I see you smile.

+ Reply to Thread