+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Thread: 1/12 Show Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

Re: 1/12 Show Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

I don't know if there are similar shows in the U.S, but here in Canada, our Slice network carries several shows about weight loss - X-Weighted, Bulging Brides, and The Last 10 Pounds Bootcamp - that are not competition-based. Tommy Europe is the trainer for the last two shows and his approach is very aggressive, similar to Jillian's style. Besides the fact these weight-loss shows don't pit people against each other, they also don't feature the morbidly obese (X-Weighted has the heavier people, but I haven't seen one that has anyone who needs to lose more than 100 lbs). They are just as entertaining as TBL (I have to confess Bulging Brides is pretty funny, it's about women who can't wiggle into their wedding gowns and have to drop weight quickly). The thing about TBL is that it's a reality show first and a weight-loss show second.

The overriding positive aspect to TBL's style is that the majority of the people who do appear on the show manage to lose weight, regardless of when they get booted off the ranch.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3805551;
    I don't know if there are similar shows in the U.S, but here in Canada, our Slice network carries several shows about weight loss - X-Weighted, Bulging Brides, and The Last 10 Pounds Bootcamp - that are not competition-based. Tommy Europe is the trainer for the last two shows and his approach is very aggressive, similar to Jillian's style. Besides the fact these weight-loss shows don't pit people against each other, they also don't feature the morbidly obese (X-Weighted has the heavier people, but I haven't seen one that has anyone who needs to lose more than 100 lbs). They are just as entertaining as TBL (I have to confess Bulging Brides is pretty funny, it's about women who can't wiggle into their wedding gowns and have to drop weight quickly). The thing about TBL is that it's a reality show first and a weight-loss show second.

The overriding positive aspect to TBL's style is that the majority of the people who do appear on the show manage to lose weight, regardless of when they get booted off the ranch.
    Not sure about X-Weighted, but Bulging Brides and The Last 10 Pounds are on Fine Living Network here. I've watched them both. But I agree about BL being a reality show first and a weight loss show second. They are there to create the drama and pull in the ratings. If people happen to lose weight, so be it. Cha-ching.
    Wake up and be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3797470;
    Well said. The fact that these people are discouraged from eating normal food... especially comfort foods, is ridiculous. I have a low calorie pizza option that these people would love. And who should live without potatoes? No one. Moderation IS the key.

That said, many years ago, I went on a REAL health kick. My favourite store was the health food store. With eating all that pure food all the time, I started to view anything "oily" or greasy as disgusting. Like, I would be horrified by the oil on my hands after eating a couple of fries. If Jillian is in that zone, I can understand her reaction to the food she had to eat.
    No, you misunderstand me a bit.

If they are addicts than maybe a strict diet IS necessary for them.

What's not communicated well to the viewing audience is that the same rules don't necessarily apply to us. Most of us are weak willed, not addicts. There's a difference.

The gradual bloating of the show (both in hours on and in starting weights of the contestants) also has got to leave home viewers in a weird place. It may be politically incorrect to say this, but in some ways it makes this into a freak show, instead of into a valid teaching tool. Huge portions of what we see on screen are totally inapplicable to the viewership. We're seeing extreme methods, tweaked even a bit more for TV, with maybe an occasional semi-useful tip about portion control or Extra Sugar Free Gum tossed in. But very little about how to properly work out, and certainly very little on how to do that in a real world situation, with real world goals.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread