+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 183

Thread: 1/12 Show Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

  1. #171
    chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: 1/12 Show Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3794562;
    You didn't actually think she'd eat any of it (much less ALL of it)? The whole plan obviously was for her to take a single bite, as we saw, then claim it was super-gross and spit it up. She probably only agreed to the scheme because of that.

    The show sends the right message (farmer's markets, blah blah etc etc) but is always kind of sledgehammery with it. Eating that crap on those plates EVERY MEAL, and in those HUGE portion sizes, is indeed gross. But everyone indulges, even Jill. She might indulge with small bits of chocolate instead of a huge plate of nachos with glowing orange cheese on it, but she certainly does indulge. Then works out like a maniac.

    This show doesn't communicate a message of "moderation" all that well. Admittedly that makes sense--these people are literally addicts. Food addicts. But the message DOES get kind of bent to you and me, because frankly, most of us AREN'T. Most of us simply need to learn moderation, exercise discipline, and stuff like that.
    Well said. The fact that these people are discouraged from eating normal food... especially comfort foods, is ridiculous. I have a low calorie pizza option that these people would love. And who should live without potatoes? No one. Moderation IS the key.

    That said, many years ago, I went on a REAL health kick. My favourite store was the health food store. With eating all that pure food all the time, I started to view anything "oily" or greasy as disgusting. Like, I would be horrified by the oil on my hands after eating a couple of fries. If Jillian is in that zone, I can understand her reaction to the food she had to eat.

  2. #172
    chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: 1/12 Show Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovetheroses
    I like Ashley and her "sneak up like a ninja" comment
    Ninja Ashley kind of cracked me up too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers
    I think it's more that anyone who is perceived as doing this JUST for the money = despicable, disgusting human, when so many want to actually lose the weight to get healthy. And of course anyone who is only in it for the money would be a game player.
    My trouble with this notino is how do we decide who is "only" in it for the money? Personally, I really doubt anyone is only at that Ranch hoping to win the cash... though some may be more gameplayers than others. It's a sliding scale to be sure. Unfortunately, we tend to "villianize" those who are upfront about their gameplay and allow those who claim to be there mostly for the weight loss off scot free. And quite often the lying ones are the ones that annoy me most, mainly because of the hypocrisy. For example, Shay got ticked at others for playing the game, but her partner probably waterloaded the week he had immunity. He didn't admit to it, but that doesn't mean he's better than anyone else. He's just lying better.
    Everyone HATED the brown team with Ron and Mike. Most thought Ron would never maintain the loss because he was "only" there to play the game. But he's proven everyone wrong about that. He was playing the game, for sure, but he was also serious about changing his life. I just don't think we should get to decide who is there for what reasons.
    Vicky also has kept the weight off, but I found her despicable, not for playing the game, but being so smug and enjoying getting rid of other players. That was nasty.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 01-15-2010 at 12:52 PM.

  3. #173
    chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: 1/12 Show Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by sjjmom
    If that's the case, then Melissa is really hurting her ultimate chances in the game. Two weeks of losing nothing can't all be due to waterloading, a fair amount of it is due to simply not losing weight. And in the overall weight loss percentages, she can't afford to have taken 2 weeks off.
    Respectfully, I disagree. Melissa, at 214 pounds, has far less weight to lose than many of the other competitors. If she went hard right away she could reach her goal weight far too early. She could end up with those crappy percentages that happen near the end of the show for lighter people. By delaying her big weight gains she is giving her team an advantage numbers wise. Also, Lance lost a more than respectable 8 pounds the second week, which works because he has more weight to lose and he can maintain their numbers.

    The only way I can see it hurting their team is if the other contestants villianize them for making the most out of their immunity wins. It will be interesting to see if they do... you can be sure I'll be watching for evidence of waterloading from the rest from then on!

  4. #174
    To the Point
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: 1/12 Show Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3797506;
    Respectfully, I disagree. Melissa, at 214 pounds, has far less weight to lose than many of the other competitors. If she went hard right away she could reach her goal weight far too early. She could end up with those crappy percentages that happen near the end of the show for lighter people. By delaying her big weight gains she is giving her team an advantage numbers wise. Also, Lance lost a more than respectable 8 pounds the second week, which works because he has more weight to lose and he can maintain their numbers.

    The only way I can see it hurting their team is if the other contestants villianize them for making the most out of their immunity wins. It will be interesting to see if they do... you can be sure I'll be watching for evidence of waterloading from the rest from then on!
    The waterloading is not what concerns me with Melissa. Melissa came right out and said that she saw no reason to push herself since she didn't need a big loss (can't remember the exacting wording but that was the message). That's just stupid. Working out hard would still give them a big advantage later. Her muscles would be stronger and burn more fat later. Her attitude is just saying all the wrong things IMO.

  5. #175
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    281

    Re: 1/12 Show Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3797506;
    Respectfully, I disagree. Melissa, at 214 pounds, has far less weight to lose than many of the other competitors. If she went hard right away she could reach her goal weight far too early. She could end up with those crappy percentages that happen near the end of the show for lighter people. By delaying her big weight gains she is giving her team an advantage numbers wise. Also, Lance lost a more than respectable 8 pounds the second week, which works because he has more weight to lose and he can maintain their numbers.

    The only way I can see it hurting their team is if the other contestants villianize them for making the most out of their immunity wins. It will be interesting to see if they do... you can be sure I'll be watching for evidence of waterloading from the rest from then on!
    Because of her starting size, Melissa has virtually no chance to win the 250,000. She simply won't be able to match the percentages of some of the other contestants without turning herself into a skeleton.

    That said, I think the best strategy is to work hard and earn the respect of the trainers and the other competitors. That's best for her health and weight loss success, and it's the best way to move her husband forward in the game. I just don't think "taking it easy" is ever a good strategy on this show. The other competitors are gaining stamina, muscle strength, etc, and she's not, or at least not nearly as much. That's very different from waterloading. That's my opinion only, of course. We'll have to wait and see how it goes. Of course, the red team seems unpopular with most fans, and if they are as unlikable in person, they may be booted as soon as the rest of the teams have the opportunity, regardless of any strategy.

  6. #176
    FORT Fogey Missyboxers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,038

    Re: 1/12 Show Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3797483;
    Ninja Ashley kind of cracked me up too.



    My trouble with this notino is how do we decide who is "only" in it for the money? Personally, I really doubt anyone is only at that Ranch hoping to win the cash... though some may be more gameplayers than others. It's a sliding scale to be sure. Unfortunately, we tend to "villianize" those who are upfront about their gameplay and allow those who claim to be there mostly for the weight loss off scot free. And quite often the lying ones are the ones that annoy me most, mainly because of the hypocrisy. For example, Shay got ticked at others for playing the game, but her partner probably waterloaded the week he had immunity. He didn't admit to it, but that doesn't mean he's better than anyone else. He's just lying better.
    Everyone HATED the brown team with Ron and Mike. Most thought Ron would never maintain the loss because he was "only" there to play the game. But he's proven everyone wrong about that. He was playing the game, for sure, but he was also serious about changing his life. I just don't think we should get to decide who is there for what reasons.
    Vicky also has kept the weight off, but I found her despicable, not for playing the game, but being so smug and enjoying getting rid of other players. That was nasty.
    What? Plenty of people around here LOVED Mike, and a lot of people didn't like Ron because every time you saw him in the elimination room, he acted like the Godfather or the angel at the gates of heaven with all that "it's your time" business. And Ron was there so that his kids, especially obviously Mike, could have a chance at losing the weight. The reason we all thought Ron was going to gain the weight back was because he'd lost much of his weight several times before, only to fail and gain it back.

    Frankly, I think we villainize the people who are annoying. Most of the people we label as game-players seem to be, for one reason or another, incredibly annoying and in your face about it, like Melissa even though as others have noted, she has no shot at winning this thing. I don't think any of the women who started under 250 lbs has a shot.

    And I do think some of them wake up thinking, "What do I have to do today so that I can lose the weight and win the game?" And others, less so, especially those who are realistic about their chances.

  7. #177
    chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: 1/12 Show Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

    Sorry, I did not mean to offend anyone with my opinions, they are just that.

    I just think that if Melissa has "no shot" at winning, then she's taking a great strategy to help her husband get further.

  8. #178
    Anarchist AJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charming
    Posts
    9,357

    Re: 1/12 Show Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3797576;
    The waterloading is not what concerns me with Melissa. Melissa came right out and said that she saw no reason to push herself since she didn't need a big loss (can't remember the exacting wording but that was the message). That's just stupid. Working out hard would still give them a big advantage later. Her muscles would be stronger and burn more fat later. Her attitude is just saying all the wrong things IMO.
    That attitude really bugs me, too. Melissa is among a lot of very, very heavy individuals at the ranch and it could be skewering her perception of herself, but the fact is that at 214 in the real world she is a seriously overweight woman. I may be in the minority but I would far rather benefit from the training and nutrition advice that the show provides than spend my energy scheming about how I could win the prize money. I've always thought that in their place, I wouldn't even think about the money unless I was one of the top 4 or 5 people remaining. Maybe Melissa thinks if she can help Lance win some money she can just get lipo done or something.

    spockwhat, your post about health food and Jillian spitting out the nachos reminded me of the time years ago my brother & I were eating a couple of Burger King Whoppers. For some reason we pulled apart the burger, and the bread and lettuce were saturated with brown grease. We were both so disgusted we tossed them out, and neither of us have ever eaten at Burger King again. It's very rare for me to eat fast food at all now - not just for wanting to eat healthy, but as I get older I find that kind of food doesn't agree with my system - so whenever I get the urge I just have to think of that greasy Whopper and the craving goes away.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

  9. #179
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,846

    Re: 1/12 Show Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

    Gaming to extend the effect of having won immunity for an extra week doesn't necessarily mean you are mostly there for the money...it can also mean you are desperate to stay at the ranch to help you lose. And if you do it by waterloading you haven't really lost ground overall. The problem comes if you win immunity two weeks in a row....I don't think you can really waterload enough to compensate for two weeks of weight loss if there's really weight loss.

  10. #180
    FORT Fanatic Oceansands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    666

    Re: 1/12 Show Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

    I don't like the whole concept of sending people home. They should be eliminated from winning the money but be allowed to stay at the ranch. This show should stop trying to copy other reality shows. Waterloading is ridiculous but BL seems to think drama is what brings ratings in. I would enjoy the show more if Jillian would knock off the drama, stop trying to be a star, and contestants would knock off the tears. They should stick to health and fitness for those of us who are interested in those subjects. All the other junk becomes boring and phony after a few episodes. So far, the only interesting part of the show is the end showing actual results.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.