+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Season 9: ** Spoilers **

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Season 9: ** Spoilers **

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3772647;
    I know exactly what you mean. After Season 1 and 2 I really didn't pay that much attention until season 7 and 8. But I am at that burn out point again.

Also while my heart does go out to the extremely overweight, I cannot relate. I would much rather see people in the 250 range who can lose enough weight that they look normal during the finale, not see people who still have to lose another 200 lbs and have massive plastic surgery before they can even fit into off the rack clothes.

There was a really good show on Discovery Health about a young man who weighted 650lbs and they showed him losing the weight and after losing even 150 lbs how much lose skin he had. I now know why the shirts go back on the men toward the end of Biggest Loser. Anyway, through diet and exercise he got down to 220lbs. But had to have several operations to get rid of over 50lbs of lose skin.
    As I've said elsewhere, I think the weight of all the loose skin is why the winners look almost "too thin" even though their weights are in the normal range for their heights...they are compensating for the skin weight by losing even more weight.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3771834;

Lastly, we're probably in for a really long season, like S7. I don't know about you guys, but the fall seasons are just about the right length. S7 clocked in at around 20 episodes. That's just way too much for my personal taste. It can get really boring after a while.
    Are we? There will be a two week hiatus in February for the Olympics and I'd imagine they'll still want the finale to coincide with May sweeps...

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3772647;
    I know exactly what you mean. After Season 1 and 2 I really didn't pay that much attention until season 7 and 8. But I am at that burn out point again.

Also while my heart does go out to the extremely overweight, I cannot relate. I would much rather see people in the 250 range who can lose enough weight that they look normal during the finale, not see people who still have to lose another 200 lbs and have massive plastic surgery before they can even fit into off the rack clothes......

There is definately something to this sentiment, I think. For me, I like a bit of closure. If these guys still have loads of weight to lose at the end of the season, it isn't very satisfying because I really don't know the final outcome. Do the players succeed? Fail?

I realize that what we see now on the finale isn't really final either because most contestants don't maintain the weight they achieve anyway, but at least the viewer learns who makes it to a healthy goal weight.

These are people who, after months of airtime, I come to support and who I want to succeed. Not knowing how things pan out is simply frustrating.
    Last edited by Jexter; 12-20-2009 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3772856;
    Are we? There will be a two week hiatus in February for the Olympics and I'd imagine they'll still want the finale to coincide with May sweeps...
    Yup, I'm expecting the finale to be in May. And with the premiere on January 5th, we're in for a good 5 months of TBL! Even with the 2 week Olympic hiatus (which I'm super excited for, I'm an Olympic fanatic!), that's still a pretty long time.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

"Father O’Neal Hampton, Jr., a U.S. Postal Service station manager, 51, and daughter SunShine Hampton, 24, a restaurant server, from Minneapolis, Minn.

Father Darrell Hough, a press operator and mechanic, 46, and daughter Andrea Hough, a 24-year-old executive assistant from Ann Arbor, Mich.
    "

When I first saw the "fathers" I thought they'd finally decided to have some priests as contestants.

Blame a Catholic upbringing.

Wind Dancer - I thought the same thing until I read farther.

Is this forum anything like the others - do we let people know when the contestants are home?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

WD -- I hadn't thought priest until you bolded it and then I did...freaked me out a bit as I thought the priest had a daughter!
    heartsaflutter--Are you already seeing someone from next season at home? Well, I guess that's possible... Once a new season starts there will be a thread for specifically for spoilers where you can write opening that you saw a contestant and they've obviously lost weight... or that they are obviously not holding to their diet given what you saw them eating. At this point we only have the one thread for Season 9; even though it is labeled spoilers I think most people think all it will contain is the names/weights of contestants, not anything that would spoil the ending....or who goes home early,etc., so if you have info about the progress of the season I'd use spoiler tags at this point to hide it from those who like their surprises.
    You know how to do that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3772894;
    Yup, I'm expecting the finale to be in May. And with the premiere on January 5th, we're in for a good 5 months of TBL! Even with the 2 week Olympic hiatus (which I'm super excited for, I'm an Olympic fanatic!), that's still a pretty long time.
    Oh, it definitely is. Do you remember if it started a little later last January? It ended a week earlier than it could have in May, because I remember watching the finale.

I just read a FB post from Jillian saying she had to get back to the BL house and the monkey's...

FORT Newbie

I would much rather see people in the 250 range who can lose enough weight that they look normal during the finale, not see people who still have to lose another 200 lbs and have massive plastic surgery before they can even fit into off the rack clothes.

Totally agree with this. One of my biggest complaints during the first few seasons was that the men looked "normal" at the end of the season while the women always still looked heavy. Then they must have figured something out to get the women to be able to lose enough weight to look thin and now most of the 225-250 lb. women are getting down to low enough weights that they too look "normal". I know people like Shay lost a lot of weight during the season but it is a bit of a let down to see someone at the finale still morbidly obese. I much prefer to see the moderately overweight contestants than the hugely overweight ones. But they want to be able to stun everyone with people losing 20+ pounds per week and the moderately overweight people can't do that. I personally don't care for the direction the show is taking. Thank goodness for the DVR as I basically only watch about 20% of each episode, mainly the challenges and weigh-ins.

+ Reply to Thread