Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Season 9: ** Spoilers **

Re: Season 9: ** Spoilers **

I will agree with that.
    There's no place like home!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3770157;
    A water-based treadmill...is that under water do you think, so he isn't supporting all his weight? My knees and ankles like that idea!
    Maybe we will see more pool use this season.
    I want to SEE that water-based treadmill, wish my gym had one!! The pool is one area (plus real kitchen/cooking/refrig items) that we have seen so little. With everyone so big, I hope we really do see it this season.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3770876;
    People keep saying that the TBL method is not the best way...I'd like to know what IS the best way. All they do is exercise and learn to eat properly.
    They could do it slower, I suppose, but why is that better? The quicker the weight comes off, the quicker the blood pressure goes down and the risk of diabetes drops. Not to mention the multitude of other health issues that go along with carrying a hundred or more extra pounds.
    Is it better or safer to undergo weight loss surgery? There's a lot of risk with gastric bypass surgery, and the dangers are greater the heavier the patient is. I think that the time spent at the ranch - which, admittedly, is not possible for everyone, but if one opts for surgery they're looking at 6-8 weeks recovery time if there's no complications - under doctor's care, with a program set up by professional personal trainers, and being taught how to cook and eat healthily, is the best possible way. The contestants are very fortunate to get that opportunity.
    Many of the complications and long recovery times are associated with the bypass surgery. I wish that the show would at least mention the option of the lap-band surgery. It has only an overnight in the hospital (vs. 2, and some areas do it same-day), 1 week before going back to work, is adjustable, does not rely on malnutrition (no dumping or change of tastes), is slower (20-30 pounds in the beginning, then 2-3 pounds per week maybe if the person exercises like they should, less if not), it is ADJUSTABLE as the person loses weight. It is a tool to that allows people to feel full on much less food; and feel full longer because the food has to make it's way through the band (which is outside the stomach, so no cutting/rearranging). For people needing to lose 100+ pounds, it's a great option, and does not have that "shed weight" look...while it IS slower, lap-band folks (research shows) get to the same place as bypass re: weight loss within 3-5 years, and are more successful in keeping it off.

I think so many people are desperate to get on Biggest Loser that they are gaining weigh to get on the show because being 60, 80, 90 lbs overweight is not enough. We are looking at 200lbs plus over weight. With this trend of having Daniel at 454 and Shay at 479 and a season 9 contestant weighting 500 plus pounds will we be seeing a 600lb and 700lb contestants for season 10 and a 1000lb contestant for season 11? I would not be surprised.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I wouldn't be surprised either.

As we get closer to the premiere, I'm becoming less excited for it. It has already been said, but I'm getting tired that the producers deem it necessary to one-up themselves by getting heavier people each season. I really hated how everyone would say how much Shay needed the show more than the others. Sorry, but even though she weighed a lot more than the others, everyone who has been on the show needed the experience. It's not just the heaviest people that need it. But the show makes such a huge (no pun intended) point of it that it gets shoved down our throats. It gets tiresome.

I hate that they no longer accept people who are around 200, as it's at more of a lighter weight than usual. 200 lbs? That's still overweight! I know they probably have no chance at winning the show, but it would be nice to see the show reach out to more than just the people who weigh at 350+. I know they promote the at-home weight loss, with people sharing their personal stories on the website and such. But people want to go on the show, and that causes them to stuff themselves so that they can get fatter. I've read other forums with posters that have friends who have done that. What kind of message does that promote?

Lastly, we're probably in for a really long season, like S7. I don't know about you guys, but the fall seasons are just about the right length. S7 clocked in at around 20 episodes. That's just way too much for my personal taste. It can get really boring after a while.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I'd like to know the #'s of over weight people over 250 and the # of overweight people under 250. My guess is that even though we are the top one or two (can't remember) country with obseity most of them are probably closer to the under 250 lb mark. Not over 250 or even 300. I could be wrong though. I may have to do some research on that.

For me, it's more motivation to see someone loose the weight that started off around 200lbs v 300lbs. I will watch this upcoming season but it is disgusting to know that people gain weight just for this show. I'm up 15lbs and am disgusted with myself. Can't imagine gaining tons of weight just to be on a show!!!

To the Point

I totally understand how this has become about bigger and bigger people, however, I think the show is running a very real risk at losing it's appeal to those viewers who may really struggle with weight, but no where close to this extreme. Honestly, though I realize that everyone becomes overweight one pound at a time, it becomes very difficult for me to relate. It's less about the average struggle with weight and more about the extreme. I think it has become a very different show.

These people DO need the help, and for many, this may be their last ditch effort before surgery, it just makes it a very different show.

I had read a tweet from Jillian in November that she was freezing in Colorado filming the next season of BL. It doesn't appear any of the contestants are from CO.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

FORT Fogey

I think they run this show too often. I need a little down time before the new season kicks in.

I REALLY enjoyed this season but I've missed several past seasons just because I was burned out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3772484;
    I think they run this show too often. I need a little down time before the new season kicks in.

I REALLY enjoyed this season but I've missed several past seasons just because I was burned out a bit.
    I know exactly what you mean. After Season 1 and 2 I really didn't pay that much attention until season 7 and 8. But I am at that burn out point again.

Also while my heart does go out to the extremely overweight, I cannot relate. I would much rather see people in the 250 range who can lose enough weight that they look normal during the finale, not see people who still have to lose another 200 lbs and have massive plastic surgery before they can even fit into off the rack clothes.

There was a really good show on Discovery Health about a young man who weighted 650lbs and they showed him losing the weight and after losing even 150 lbs how much lose skin he had. I now know why the shirts go back on the men toward the end of Biggest Loser. Anyway, through diet and exercise he got down to 220lbs. But had to have several operations to get rid of over 50lbs of lose skin.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread