+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 11/17 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Re: 11/17 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Congratulations LovetheRoses!

(I figured you deserved a post all by itself!)

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3752766;
    Rudy is cool:

1. He's undramatic. Jillian is throwing crap at him left/right/center and he's totally like, um hum.

2. He actually gives a real reason when he votes someone out. Not the usual lies like "I love you, and this was a hard decision, but I have to do what's best for me" or "*wah, sob, wah* blah blah *blubbering* blah *wah*" or "I know you can do this at home". Good for him. And it's not like he's mean in how he says things. He just says them how he sees it. "I don't trust you, Rebecca" In other words, I know you would vote me out if you had the slightest chance. And she would.

3. He's undramatic. He wins challenges, he breaks records, and he does it without a lot of "oh my g, I can't believe I did that, did you see how amazing I AM?" No conceit there.

I fear that the public is being somewhat harsh on Rudy. If he makes final three, I would hate to see him voted out. He's played a good game and done it by staying above that yellow line... with no egotistical remarks or drama. He definitely deserves a shot at the big prize.

I agree with you. I think Rudy and Danny deserve to be the final two...it would be a good competition at that point. They both have worked their butts off and have stayed above the yellow line. Their one is conceited that editing shows us and they have been blunt and honest.

Quote Originally Posted by LovetheRoses;3752723;
    This is the first season I am watching BL, and I did not like the makeovers.

Rudy had me so mad. Up until last week, I was rooting for him. Now, I just want him to leave.

I am glad Rebecca is doing so well at home. She was one of my favs. I can't see her and Daniel together though.

I do the gym after work. I put my son in the daycare there. I wish I could get up before work, but I am up at 5:30 as it is. I also go to bed early. 10 ish. I did stay up late last night to watch Rebecca though.

I am on Jenny Craig and i have lost 78 lbs so far. When the contestants ran in Washington, I had not started running yet. I was walking, biking, cross-training and strength training. I was too intimidated to run. Well, last night I ran 1 1/2 miles, walked another mile, then ran another half mile. When I was running the second time I pictured Jillian yellling at me because I wanted to stop. I love this show and what it inspires me to do!
    I have to imagine Jillian yelling at me when I run...it's the only way I get over that mental block.

Congrats!!!

CCL

I did think Rudy at the elimination was a little mean...but I still like him overall and am rooting for him to emerge victorious.
    I did like how he wasn't falling for Jillian's baiting of him regarding his sister's death...you could see she was practically salivating at the speeches, just waiting until she could confront Rudy and get him to admit that his sister dying was the cause of all his problems.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I get why Jillian was so mad that Rudy didn't tell her about his sister.

They have said over and over on the show that if you don't get to the root of why you let yourself weigh over 400 pounds then you will never conquer your weight problem. That might not be why he eats so much but he should at least explore it - and he did say food was the one constant in his life.

Yes - some people eat b/c they love food - I am like that but then again I only have about 40 pounds to lose NOT 240 or more. You don't get that huge without some low self esteem issues. This show has proven time and time again that the contestants that conquer the emotional and physical parts of weight loss are the most successful!

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3752766;
    Rudy is cool:

1. He's undramatic. Jillian is throwing crap at him left/right/center and he's totally like, um hum.

2. He actually gives a real reason when he votes someone out. Not the usual lies like "I love you, and this was a hard decision, but I have to do what's best for me" or "*wah, sob, wah* blah blah *blubbering* blah *wah*" or "I know you can do this at home". Good for him. And it's not like he's mean in how he says things. He just says them how he sees it. "I don't trust you, Rebecca" In other words, I know you would vote me out if you had the slightest chance. And she would.

3. He's undramatic. He wins challenges, he breaks records, and he does it without a lot of "oh my g, I can't believe I did that, did you see how amazing I AM?" No conceit there.

I fear that the public is being somewhat harsh on Rudy. If he makes final three, I would hate to see him voted out. He's played a good game and done it by staying above that yellow line... with no egotistical remarks or drama. He definitely deserves a shot at the big prize.
    AMEN to that! I agree 100% with your comments! Go RUDY!!!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Food, especially some of the ones that aren't that good for your weight, affects your serotonin levels...so it literally makes you "feel good". It's a form of self medicating, just like alcohol, for depression, tiredness, etc. AND it tastes good.
    I'm glad the guys got rid of their beard/soul patch facial hair...not great looks.

Good point the stylist made about now your face is NOT round, so you need a different look.

I flipped into Leno during the Good Wife commercials and caught Rebecca and the love the best friend comment and the long phone calls discussion. Apparently he told her he had "feelings" for her first. I hope she is not just leading him on for the publicity and the awww factor. She really did look great on Leno....but frankly way too glam for Daniel and a youth pastor's wife, unless he wants to deal with the MILF factor in his pastorees.... But, hoping for the best, and that judging a book by its cover is really not appropriate here!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by cape;3752929;
    I get why Jillian was so mad that Rudy didn't tell her about his sister.

They have said over and over on the show that if you don't get to the root of why you let yourself weigh over 400 pounds then you will never conquer your weight problem. That might not be why he eats so much but he should at least explore it - and he did say food was the one constant in his life.

Yes - some people eat b/c they love food - I am like that but then again I only have about 40 pounds to lose NOT 240 or more. You don't get that huge without some low self esteem issues. This show has proven time and time again that the contestants that conquer the emotional and physical parts of weight loss are the most successful!
    I agree and disagree. Certainly anyone who is morbidly obese has self-esteem issues. I know I did. But the self-esteem issues did not create my obesity. They were a result of my obesity. I think most people have things happen in their lives that are hard and they need to deal with the emotion of that. The problem I have with what Jillian does is that it plays into the whole idea of blaming your problems on your life circumstances. I'm obese because my mother was a heroin addict. I'm obese because my sister died. I'm obese because my father abused me when I was a child. No, I'm obese because I chose to eat too much. I made the choice. I wasn't forced into it. I think it's critical for anyone trying to change their life to own their choices instead of finding some emotional issue to blame it on. If I chose it, then I can choose something different. I was able to lose 150 lbs and keep it off only when I decided by my choices to stop eating myself to death. The reason I love Abby so much is that she acknowledged that she needed to deal with the pain of losing her whole family, but she never once blamed her obesity on that loss. She was clearly obese before she lost her family.

The other problem I have with what Jillian is doing is that she is not a licensed psychologist. She's obviously very qualified to train these people and they develop trust in her because of that, but just because they trust her as a trainer does not mean that they want to have her be their counselor/confesser. When she insists on having them spill their emotional issues with her, I think she is crossing the line. Rudy had no obligation to tell her about his sister and she had no right to insist that he tell her about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MomAt40Pls;3753398 View Post
    I agree and disagree. Certainly anyone who is morbidly obese has self-esteem issues. I know I did. But the self-esteem issues did not create my obesity. They were a result of my obesity. I think most people have things happen in their lives that are hard and they need to deal with the emotion of that. The problem I have with what Jillian does is that it plays into the whole idea of blaming your problems on your life circumstances. I'm obese because my mother was a heroin addict. I'm obese because my sister died. I'm obese because my father abused me when I was a child. No, I'm obese because I chose to eat too much. I made the choice. I wasn't forced into it. I think it's critical for anyone trying to change their life to own their choices instead of finding some emotional issue to blame it on. If I chose it, then I can choose something different. I was able to lose 150 lbs and keep it off only when I decided by my choices to stop eating myself to death. The reason I love Abby so much is that she acknowledged that she needed to deal with the pain of losing her whole family, but she never once blamed her obesity on that loss. She was clearly obese before she lost her family.

The other problem I have with what Jillian is doing is that she is not a licensed psychologist. She's obviously very qualified to train these people and they develop trust in her because of that, but just because they trust her as a trainer does not mean that they want to have her be their counselor/confesser. When she insists on having them spill their emotional issues with her, I think she is crossing the line. Rudy had no obligation to tell her about his sister and she had no right to insist that he tell her about it.
    Except - they chose to go on a showing KNOWING that is how things are handled there. Jillian has the best weight loss record over Bob. We can all sit and criticize what she does but season after season she is the one with the best results.

Jillian operates on the principal that people choose to eat too much b/c for some reason they are seeking emotional comfort in food and her goal is to help them find out why. They have to believe they deserve to be happy and that this will be worth all the effort or they will never follow through.

They have psychologists on campus and I am sure once Jillian talks with them then they go and spend time with the psychologists.

Quote Originally Posted by cape;3753419;
    Except - they chose to go on a showing KNOWING that is how things are handled there. Jillian has the best weight loss record over Bob. We can all sit and criticize what she does but season after season she is the one with the best results.

Jillian operates on the principal that people choose to eat too much b/c for some reason they are seeking emotional comfort in food and her goal is to help them find out why. They have to believe they deserve to be happy and that this will be worth all the effort or they will never follow through.

They have psychologists on campus and I am sure once Jillian talks with them then they go and spend time with the psychologists.
    not to mention that this is what makes good tv. drama. emotion. who will the viewer empathize with - the contestant who snacks because they are bored and lazy, or the contestant who has some underlying drama?

i think they look for people with some thing in their past that jillian can eventually unearth. she might not have known about rudy's sister, but i wouldn't be surprised if casting did.

not every contestant on the show is pegged as having an emotional issue (eric (bob's winner) worked in a deli and ed (of ed & heba) was a chef, right? they were both just snacking at work) but many are, because it makes better tv
    _(Moo!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast