+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 10/20 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Re: 10/20 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

I'm wondering why they sent Dina home- maybe she didn't gel with the others?? I would have thought Amanda would have gone- isn't she the smallest? If she isn't, she looks it. As much as I adore Daniel, I really think it was his time to go. Dina was right- he has been on the show twice and I think he knows what he needs to know and could do it at home. He doesn't have a wife or kids, so he could devote the time needed. That being said, I think Dina looks great, although I wish she'd have taken a little more hair off in length and maybe given her some layers in the front instead of so much forehead. She will look fabulous at the finale!

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie;3732881;
    I'm wondering why they sent Dina home- maybe she didn't gel with the others?? I would have thought Amanda would have gone- isn't she the smallest? If she isn't, she looks it. As much as I adore Daniel, I really think it was his time to go. Dina was right- he has been on the show twice and I think he knows what he needs to know and could do it at home. He doesn't have a wife or kids, so he could devote the time needed. That being said, I think Dina looks great, although I wish she'd have taken a little more hair off in length and maybe given her some layers in the front instead of so much forehead. She will look fabulous at the finale!
    That's what happened last season. I would rather see him stay just because I he needs to deal with the emotional issues he has on the ranch in Jillian's tender care.

Does anyone realize that Daniel has lost a total of 177lbs from his original start weight of 454. I for one am very glad the producers are giving him the chance to lose all the weight he needs to lose and that is around 300lbs and he is only at little more than the halfway mark.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 10-20-2009 at 11:45 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

I know Shay is a whiner, talks smack, and doesn't lose a ton of weight. It's really for all these reasons that I want her to go further in the competition. She really has a long way to go - both emotionally and physically.

And while Daniel hasn't lost a ton of weight either, I think the same thing about him. He is no where close to realizing his inner demons. I don't think the breakdown about his mother is all that is going on....not that he has a story like Shay's or Abby's, but there is something holding him back.

I also really want Tracey to go further. She is so motivated just to be able to participate that I can't help but root for her. So many contestants have blown this huge gift they've been given and Tracey appreciates every bit of it.

I would like to see Daniel win (although I think Rudy will take the title this year).

Regarding Dina's departure.....she wasn't as "robust" about this experience as others seem to be and she really didn't seem to connect closely with people. I'm not surprised she got voted off. I was extremely impressed by her post-show snippet, though. Is she married or was the guy she went home to her husband? Either way, he seemed like an insensitive ass. I was glad that he wasn't shown in Dina's final scenes. Hopefully she broke it off with that dweeb and finds someone who rises to her level. I never connected with Dina on screen, but I believe Shay's assessment is correct. Dina could be/do anything she wants in life. The fact that she is a janitor making what I'm sure is a pittance is an outright shame.

I also like that she treated herself to a makeover. Makovers (on this show or any others) seem to be life-changing experiences. That fact that Dina did this for herself says she is starting to take care of - and believe in - herself. Go Dina!
    Last edited by Jexter; 10-21-2009 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieAnn;3732865;
    Is it ego or co-addicts or enablers? My take on Shay is that she is very good at manipulating people with her victim archetype behaviors.
    I totally agree...and what is it called when you can find fault in others but not yourself (where you point out their failures yet seem to miss that you had/experienced the same shortcomings).

I would LOVE to hear you elaborate on your take about Shay and the others if you have the time (and before someone complains that this is all editing I will preface the analysis as 'based on what we have seen").

And, I just want to add that I love Abby too...she is such an inspiration! Not only is she trying to pull her life together but she is the only contestant that has refused every temptation in this game! For me, that speaks volumes about her character.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3732927;
    I totally agree...and what is it called when you can find fault in others but not yourself (where you point out their failures yet seem to miss that you had/experienced the same shortcomings).

Projection.

I'm on the West Coast and just now watching the scene with Shay and her friends at the Subway. I could swear that I have met the dark-haired friend somewhere (which would not be surprising given that both Shay and I live in Southern California). I think I either met her at a conference or we used to work at the same university.

Tracie is still an enigma to me. She is being driven by something that I think even she doesn't know how to contain. Unfortunately, this personal demon makes her seem (according to the editing) impulsive and selfish.

Alan seems to be all business. Rudy is tenderhearted. Danny wears his heart on his sleeve (and probably had a lot of groupies when he was younger).

FORT Newbie

Couple of things I just couldn't let slide from last nights show:

First, with Dina, it was inappropriate and dangerous for her son to be at the gym with her. When she was letting him sit on the one machine she was lifting with her legs, I almost couldn't believe what I was seeing. I don't know of any gym that allows people to bring children into the actual workout area. I felt sorry for her son having to sit there and read a book while she was on the treadmill. That didn't win her any points in my book.

Second, the whole food issue while they were home. I can only imagine the restaurant scenes are set up because I can't believe these families would be so insensitive to order a table full of unhealthy food right in front of the person they are supposed to be supporting. And although I applaud Danny for not going to a restaurant and making the kebabs at home, did anyone else feel the amount he made was enormous for a family of 4? Unless they were saving some for later and even accounting for the ones that were all veggies, the amount of meat kebabs on that grill looked like enough to feed 8-10 people.

Third, I have to disagree with the people who feel Shay should still be there. For her size of 400+ pounds, she should be losing a lot more weight than she is. Since it is the percentage of weight loss that counts, she is negatively impacting her team every time she only loses 4-5 pounds when the women who weigh half her weight are losing 4-5 pounds. I applaud her for getting healthy, but she is way too annoying and self-centered for me.

k-mom, I thought a lot of the same things. The gym I go to is for 14 years and older, and the 14 year olds are required to complete a small course that makes sure they know how to operate the equipment before they are allowed in. Actually, all new members are encouraged to participate in this, but obviously some have prior knowledge. It would have absolutely caused a lot of heads to turn if anyone saw a child "riding" on the equipment. Not safe. And yes, that was a lot of food for a family of 4, so maybe people came over? Shay annoys me too for some reason. I think it is because they have cast her as "the whiner".

Kiz

All great observations, k-mom.

My teen-aged son who is an athlete and a gym rat happened to be in the room when they showed Dina and her son at the gym. The first thing he said when he saw her little boy on that equipment was, "Wow, that's really dangerous." I have to believe that was a photo-op, but it was a stupid move on the part of the show. I can't believe the gym would allow that either.

I also wondered about the amount of food on Danny's grill. I thought maybe he was cooking extra to reheat for quick meals later. By his weight loss, he sure wasn't stuffing himself while he was home.

I also think the restaurant scenes were set ups. Obviously, many of these families have deep rooted food issues, but I don't believe that they'd be going out to eat like that when the BL hopeful was there for a week long family visit. That's a little too far fetched.

Shay is definitely dragging her team down percentage wise. If the black team continues to lose the weight challenges, and Shay's weight loss doesn't increase, I wonder how long they'll keep her around.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Well, I think the black team has really shown that an alliance is far more important than actual weight loss numbers and percentages. Shay should have been the one to go home in order to keep that team strong and more competitive in weigh-ins, but the little alliance is only looking out for itself.
    The scary thing is, Danny does not appear to be a part of that alliance, and he is an obvious strength to the black team. He better watch his back. If they lose again, and Danny does not win immunity, he'll probably be doomed. Which would be the black team just digging a great big ol' hole for themselves to get out of.

Despite the Bob factor, I have more respect for the blue team. When Mo chose to go home, they did what was best for their team to keep them strong in weighins. And I will take Tracey bemoaning a 4 lb. loss over Shay celebrating a 5 lb. loss any day. The blue team is just more competitive minded, I think, while the black alliance team members are self absorbed and manipulative. They'll twist things to make them look like they deserve to be there whether they're water loading or pulling plus ones or poor percentages. And in the end, it's just alliances.

+ Reply to Thread