+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

If I did pushups for the duration of each commercial break, I would die.

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/13 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3726987;
    If I did pushups for the duration of each commercial break, I would die.
    Start out with whatever amount you can do--and add another one every few days.

I started out doing ONE--and now I can do 200.

And it took me a while to even be able to do that first one.

It is truly mind over matter. Almost all worjk outs/conditioning is.

That is one of my biggest problems with this show--the negative attitudes of so many of the contestants.

Good workouts/conditioning get done by people with positive can-do attitudes.

That is one of my problems with "trainers" yelling at the contestants. Intermittent positive reinforcement works much better--as many studies have shown.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3727390;
    Start out with whatever amount you can do--and add another one every few days.

I started out doing ONE--and now I can do 200.

And it took me a while to even be able to do that first one.

It is truly mind over matter. Almost all worjk outs/conditioning is.

That is one of my biggest problems with this show--the negative attitudes of so many of the contestants.

Good workouts/conditioning get done by people with positive can-do attitudes.

That is one of my problems with "trainers" yelling at the contestants. Intermittent positive reinforcement works much better--as many studies have shown.

While I agree with the "start with one", it's not all mind over matter when it comes to push-ups. Making yourself begin and continue trying is mind over matter, but the actual Push-ups are HARD and we all have different levels of upper body and core strength. It takes TIME to build up that strength for most of us, especially women. Some people start with wall push-ups like Bob showed in Trainer tips, some start from their knees (girlie push-ups), I found that just being faithful everyday to do whatever number I could worked. It might take some time though.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3727434;
    While I agree with the "start with one", it's not all mind over matter when it comes to push-ups. Making yourself begin and continue trying is mind over matter, but the actual Push-ups are HARD and we all have different levels of upper body and core strength. It takes TIME to build up that strength for most of us, especially women. Some people start with wall push-ups like Bob showed in Trainer tips, some start from their knees (girlie push-ups), I found that just being faithful everyday to do whatever number I could worked. It might take some time though.
    NCLurker--hi.
    I agree that not everryone has the intiial strength to do a lot of push-ups.

That's whyt I said to start with one and to add one every couple days.

BTW--it's only "hard" ultimately if one thinks it is hard.

If one decides it can be done--then it will be done.
    Listen to the very best athletes--like Tiger Woods--talk abiout why they do so well in their sports.

Tiger Woods says--"Success in atheltic endeavors is 95% ATTITUDE. And the other five percent is luck."

And he ought to know.

I come from one of the world's least athletic families--and yet I have trained myself to run, to climb and to do real weightlifting for strength--as well as for specific events on physical agility tests like dragging a 165 lb dummy 50 feet.

You start with the amount you can drag--and build up from there. I could have said "That's too hard. I can't do that"--because I never had done that befor. But nowe I can drag a 190 lb dummy.

I started at 40 lbs.

It is almost all attitude.

if one thinks it is too hard--then it will be too hard.

It's that simple.

BTW--"women's push-ups" (on the knees instead of on the toes) are valid. they are used on some physical agility tests. I started with those and now I do full push-ups. I did weightlifting for building up triceps strength.

It can be done.

The "trick" is to forget about preconceptions like "It's hard" and to just do it step by step.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3727490;
    NCLurker--hi.
    I agree that not everryone has the intiial strength to do a lot of push-ups.

That's whyt I said to start with one and to add one every couple days.

BTW--it's only "hard" ultimately if one thinks it is hard.

If one decides it can be done--then it will be done.
    Listen to the very best athletes--like Tiger Woods--talk abiout why they do so well in their sports.

Tiger Woods says--"Success in atheltic endeavors is 95% ATTITUDE. And the other five percent is luck."

And he ought to know.

I come from one of the world's least athletic families--and yet I have trained myself to run, to climb and to do real weightlifting for strength--as well as for specific events on physical agility tests like dragging a 165 lb dummy 50 feet.

You start with the amount you can drag--and build up from there. I could have said "That's too hard. I can't do that"--because I never had done that befor. But nowe I can drag a 190 lb dummy.

I started at 40 lbs.

It is almost all attitude.

if one thinks it is too hard--then it will be too hard.

It's that simple.

BTW--"women's push-ups" (on the knees instead of on the toes) are valid. they are used on some physical agility tests. I started with those and now I do full push-ups. I did weightlifting for building up triceps strength.

It can be done.

The "trick" is to forget about preconceptions like "It's hard" and to just do it step by step.
    All I can say is Wow! What a great post. Thanks for the inspiration.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3727670;
    All I can say is Wow! What a great post. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Guardian Angel--you're welcome. Someone helped me get started when I thought that I was "not athletic" --or even physically able--and I try to pass on some of what I've learned in my own journey.

If anyone wants any other tips/helpful hints/support for getting started--just PM me.

I promise that--unlike Bob/Jillian--I don't yell.

FORT Fogey

Shoepie--hi.

In part you say--

"Tracy.

Since losing weight is 70% diet she will lose weight consistantly by just eating less. It is entirely possible that when she is released to really work hard in the gym, she will hit a plateau.

Splitting teams and ripping some away from their favorite trainers was a foolish move. She may survive another elimination because good numbers on the scale insure safety but she has created an impossible situation for herself as far as harmony and team support goes."

I've not heard this "70% diet" figure before. My own experience is quite different.

So I am wondering where this figure comes from? I would be interested in reading the research behind it.

Thanks in advance for background/source on this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Shoepie and Wind Dancer:

If I may respond to this... a pound is a pound and it equals 3500 calories. So whether you take that 3500 cals out of your diet or you burn it, you should lose a pound.

For most people, it is easier to take 3500 cals out of their diet over the course of a couple of days than it is to burn it over the same time period. If you are say, 320 lbs, and sedentary, it takes 3200 cals a day to just MAINTAIN that weight. For a large person, it is easy to lose weight through diet, because you need such a large amount of calories to maintain.
    So, if you put a 320 lb. person on a 1200 calorie diet... that is 2000 cals a day in their favour! 2 days of that and they have lost more than a lb.
    The smaller you get, the more you need exercise to keep up the weight loss.
    A person who is 140 lbs and sedentary needs only 1400 cals a day to maintain their weight, so they NEED to burn calories through exercise to continue to lose weight quickly.
    A 140 lb person on a 1200 calorie diet, is only seeing a deficit of 200 cals a day. They need to burn a lot to keep up weight loss.
    I think that is why Shoepie says that dieting it 70 percent?
    Tracey really needs to start working out soon, because diet won't cut it for too many more weeks.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 10-15-2009 at 09:38 AM.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3728301;
    Shoepie and Wind Dancer:

If I may respond to this... a pound is a pound and it equals 3500 calories. So whether you take that 3500 cals out of your diet or you burn it, you should lose a pound.

For most people, it is easier to take 3500 cals out of their diet over the course of a couple of days than it is to burn it over the same time period. If you are say, 320 lbs, and sedentary, it takes 3200 cals a day to just MAINTAIN that weight. For a large person, it is easy to lose weight through diet, because you need such a large amount of calories to maintain.
    So, if you put a 320 lb. person on a 1200 calorie diet... that is 2000 cals a day in their favour! 2 days of that and they have lost more than a lb.
    The smaller you get, the more you need exercise to keep up the weight loss.
    A person who is 140 lbs and sedentary needs only 1400 cals a day to maintain their weight, so they NEED to burn calories through exercise to continue to lose weight quickly.
    A 140 lb person on a 1200 calorie diet, is only seeing a deficit of 200 cals a day. They need to burn a lot to keep up weight loss.
    I think that is why Shoepie says that dieting it 70 percent?
    Tracey really needs to start working out soon, because diet won't cut it for too many more weeks.
    Great insight, and it makes total sense. The thing is, though, that Tracey weighs what - 250? (or less) So she needs 2500 pounds to maintain. Even if she's only eating 1000 calories a day (which is getting into the unhealthy range), it would take her 2+ days to lose a pound. And yet she's consistently losing 7 lbs a week. I realize she exercised more this week than before, but still not at the level of the other contestants. It's certainly possible to lose weight by dieting alone, but not at that speed. I don't understand how she's doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    I'm sorry, but I decided I couldn't stand MOST of them the moment they all turned into the "Boo hoo Bob isn't my trainer so I want to die" squad.

And even moreso acting like their former partners, who they'd known less than a month DIED instead of just moved across a gym.

I have trouble respecting that level of willing codependency. The reason Jill's people tend to win in this game? She breaks them of that habit.
    I don't disagree that the whining over both trainers and partners was over the top. But that makes them annoying. For me, it doesn't change the fact that overall, they are simply a nice group of people and I like the way they treat each other (except for Tracey - she isn't nice and no one treats her nicely, either).

And I posted somewhere in this thread the reason why I think they get so attached to their partners. Given the nature of the show, I can sort of understand that. The attachment to Bob I don't understand. They've been training with both, and Jillian is the one who usually trains the winner, so what's the problem if you get her? I think the ones that were unhappy are just afraid of her.
    Last edited by sjjmom; 10-15-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Adding to post

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3728276;
    Shoepie--hi.

In part you say--

"Tracy.

Since losing weight is 70% diet she will lose weight consistantly by just eating less. It is entirely possible that when she is released to really work hard in the gym, she will hit a plateau.

Splitting teams and ripping some away from their favorite trainers was a foolish move. She may survive another elimination because good numbers on the scale insure safety but she has created an impossible situation for herself as far as harmony and team support goes."

I've not heard this "70% diet" figure before. My own experience is quite different.

So I am wondering where this figure comes from? I would be interested in reading the research behind it.

Thanks in advance for background/source on this.

I have heard this from several trainers but the figures are more like 80% diet 20% training. I know from personal experience that excercise alone will not get you the body you want. It helps but if you do not adjust your eating you will become fitfat.

As a sidenote I know several people that have done FA (Food Addicts Anonymous) that have successfully lost 60, 70 and 140lbs and have kept it off for years just by eating right. They have 3 meals a day. Write everything down and report daily what they eat and attend meetings. I think the support system is key to the success of the program. No white flour, no sugar.

Yes, exercise is key, it maintains muscle and helps build muscle and helps with calorie burn and helps maintain heart health. Tracey if she can stick to the diet will continue to lose weight, but she does need to start excercising if she wants to see some bigger numbers.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast