+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 156

Thread: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

  1. #81
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    435

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    I'll admit to not understanding why you can't have fruit....it is such a different category from "the whites." I could see not being able to have fruit JUICE...but having to give up fruit....that sounds like a no-carb plan to me.

    Did your trainer friend provide rationale about the fruit?

  2. #82
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,381

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by JulieAnn;3741305;
    I'll admit to not understanding why you can't have fruit....it is such a different category from "the whites." I could see not being able to have fruit JUICE...but having to give up fruit....that sounds like a no-carb plan to me.

    Did your trainer friend provide rationale about the fruit?
    Sensitivity to glucose?

    Perphaps reset the pancreas?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  3. #83
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    435

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3741312;
    Sensitivity to glucose?

    Perphaps reset the pancreas?

    I had never heard of resetting the pancreas. I did a search and what I found was rather "fringe." I'd appreciate being pointed in a direction of more scholarly (e.g., not trying to sell something) articles.

    Thanks!

  4. #84
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    16,381

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by JulieAnn;3741671;
    I had never heard of resetting the pancreas. I did a search and what I found was rather "fringe." I'd appreciate being pointed in a direction of more scholarly (e.g., not trying to sell something) articles.

    Thanks!
    By the term reset, I meant that after eliminating sugar and white flour from your system it gives the pancreas a change to behave as it should breaking down food into glucose instead of shutting down insulin production when too much sugar is ingested or trying to restart insulin production when the body is suffering from a sugar low.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  5. #85
    Go CATS!!!! mandmmom2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,780

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    This is what I was told in a nutshell.... fruit has fructose which is sugar. It can make me crave wrong kind of sugar...high glycemic index fruits cause same insulin reaction as some candy. After a week of no sugar whatsoever I can add certain fruits and I will get to build back up to all fruits but still have to limit how many a day.

  6. #86
    FORT Fogey ElizabethG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    801

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    What were some of the higher fructose fruits? I have heard watermelon is high on the glycemic index, what are the highest and lowest?
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

  7. #87
    Go CATS!!!! mandmmom2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,780

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG;3742155;
    What were some of the higher fructose fruits? I have heard watermelon is high on the glycemic index, what are the highest and lowest?
    Do you want high sugar fruit or fruits high on teh glycemic index? There is a difference which I never knew until this week. Watermelon is high on glycemic indext but low in sugar. The reason is because the little sugar it has causes a surge of insulin to process. Berries are suppose to be the best for you all around.

  8. #88
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    435

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3741791;
    By the term reset, I meant that after eliminating sugar and white flour from your system it gives the pancreas a change to behave as it should breaking down food into glucose instead of shutting down insulin production when too much sugar is ingested or trying to restart insulin production when the body is suffering from a sugar low.
    Ah, okay. That makes sense. Thanks.

  9. #89
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    There is always a new diet chemisty discovery that negates the previous splash on the nutrition news front. And I have certainly gotten caught up in most of them until now. It is a big business and that is much of what this is about. Buy my book, listen to me, watch my videos, tivo my show and on and on. All anyone has to do is cut calories and move more. We all know what healthy choices in food are, unless we have been under a rock for the last 5 decades. I am living proof this works well and fast. I peeled off 40 pounds in less than 3 months and have kept it off for 6 months now by counting what goes in my mouth and walking daily. That is all. Sometimes we make way too much of things because we are hammered into thinking there are tricks to make us lose faster or better. I call the [mod edit] flag on most of it, only because I have gotten caught up it it, stopped paying attention and just did what made sense. Eat less and exercise more. It is really that simple. climbing off now.
    Last edited by Critical; 11-04-2009 at 02:59 PM.

  10. #90
    FORT Fogey ElizabethG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    801

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;3742228;
    Do you want high sugar fruit or fruits high on teh glycemic index? There is a difference which I never knew until this week. Watermelon is high on glycemic indext but low in sugar. The reason is because the little sugar it has causes a surge of insulin to process. Berries are suppose to be the best for you all around.
    I really didn't know there was a difference! Shows how much I know! I suppose just the best and worst for you as a whole. And by berries do you mean all berries? (Straw,blue,etc.) Thanks!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.