+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

Thank you for all the advice. One of my close friends is also my hair stylist. Her husband is a fitness trainer/nutrionist. He trains for fitness competitions and such. Anyway, he came in the shop last night right after my hair was finished and I unloaded on him. He said I need to do intervals...as all of you have said. He also told me that running is not good for me...my knees, back, ankles, etc. He then told me what I need to totally eliminate from my diet and not eat at all!! I about died! I have the biggest sweet tooth...for candy. If I eat it I count it in my points/calories but he told me I need to go without it at all. He thinks my insulin levels are screwed and candy is nothing but sugar turning into fat. So, he wants me to eat so much protein, carbs, and good fat every 3-4 hours. I'm going to start this next week. I don't think starting now would be smart b/c of Halloween and b/c I need to go to grocery in a bad way.

Thanks everyone! You all were right on! I'm so glad this thread was started!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;3738802;
    Thank you for all the advice. One of my close friends is also my hair stylist. Her husband is a fitness trainer/nutrionist. He trains for fitness competitions and such. Anyway, he came in the shop last night right after my hair was finished and I unloaded on him. He said I need to do intervals...as all of you have said. He also told me that running is not good for me...my knees, back, ankles, etc. He then told me what I need to totally eliminate from my diet and not eat at all!! I about died! I have the biggest sweet tooth...for candy. If I eat it I count it in my points/calories but he told me I need to go without it at all. He thinks my insulin levels are screwed and candy is nothing but sugar turning into fat. So, he wants me to eat so much protein, carbs, and good fat every 3-4 hours. I'm going to start this next week. I don't think starting now would be smart b/c of Halloween and b/c I need to go to grocery in a bad way.

Thanks everyone! You all were right on! I'm so glad this thread was started!!!
    Sugar and white flour. Really a good idea to detox from it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3739248;
    Sugar and white flour. Really a good idea to detox from it.
    I agree but it's going to be hard but I can do it. I have a great support group...two best friends who understand...so I think I can do this for 7 days!! WOW!!!!!

I can't have natural or unnatural sugar and white flour. No fruits and sugar free gum...

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;3739860;
    I agree but it's going to be hard but I can do it. I have a great support group...two best friends who understand...so I think I can do this for 7 days!! WOW!!!!!

I can't have natural or unnatural sugar and white flour. No fruits and sugar free gum...
    Don't be surprised if you feel really crappy and sleepy.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3739899;
    Don't be surprised if you feel really crappy and sleepy.
    Don't forget the headaches, too.

It really will feel like a detox but your system will be "clean" after a few days.

"The whites" are like heroin to me. I get the rush from eating them but then I feel all gross and then I have to detox all over again. The cravings DO eventually to away if you just avoid them. You'll be surprised at how overly sweet everything tastes after your sweet tooth becomes recalibrated to what sweet should really taste like (and not the artificial stuff).

As for the candy, I eat extra dark (almost bitter) chocolate--the kind where if you try to eat too much of it you get sick. Any other candy tastes too sweet to me now and I don't like it.

I'm on day three and let's just say....I'm so tired, sluggish, and have a constant headache. But only 5 days left. I sure hope and pray this works.

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;3741155;
    I'm on day three and let's just say....I'm so tired, sluggish, and have a constant headache. But only 5 days left. I sure hope and pray this works.
    You are breaking an addiction and it sucks. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3741167;
    You are breaking an addiction and it sucks. Keep it up.
    That's exactly what it is...an addiction. You all have really made me realize that craving sugar can be just as crazy as craving drugs. I now know that sugar IS MY DRUG. I'm going to do like mandmmom2 and go cold turkey on sugar and refined carbs and see what happens. Here's a question and I'm not entirely joking...are there rehab or detox places for people with food addictions like there are for drugs and alcohol? Just wondering...
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG;3741186;
    That's exactly what it is...an addiction. You all have really made me realize that craving sugar can be just as crazy as craving drugs. I now know that sugar IS MY DRUG. I'm going to do like mandmmom2 and go cold turkey on sugar and refined carbs and see what happens. Here's a question and I'm not entirely joking...are there rehab or detox places for people with food addictions like there are for drugs and alcohol? Just wondering...
    I don't know that they would phrase it that way, but a lot of the stricter health spa type places probably serve sugar and white flour free food only.

I think the hardest part for me right now is that I can't even have fruit. Usually when I want candy I grab grapes. BUT can't this week. I just received an email from our department head saying she brought goodies in for everyone since it is our busy week here at work...great!!! Wonder if I could ask her to not send me those emails... I'll just avoid the "food shelf" here....and eat lots of ice....

+ Reply to Thread