+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

FORT Fogey

Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

Spockwhat--Hi--thanks so much for your concern. I really appreciate that!

BTW--it's 30 miles per day--not 50.

Lance Armstrong does 50 per day. I'm not there yet. And probably won't be since I am not aiming at being a champion cyclist but am training with the goal of passing those Physical Agility tests I mentioned above. The biking is for overall conditioning. (Something I wish they'd at least mention on TBL show.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3732131;
    Diluvlabs--hi.

Would you be interested in talking about your own work--we've been discussing the role of exercise/athletic activity vs change in diet.

would you want to tell us about your experience?
    If you would rather not--that's okay.

BTW---congratulations on your successful efforts!

Thanks! I am proud of what I accomplished. It all started because of a Biggest Loser challenge at the school where I teach. I did not want to participate...thinking I was too old and hormonal to lose any weight. Other tries had been unsuccessful; and the thought of paying money to join the challenge and compete against much younger women, did not appeal to me. But, I did...and once the weight started coming off, it motivated me to continue. I actually lost 27 during the contest, which won! Then I have lost about 15 more pounds since then.
    I did this thru a combination of diet...watching calorie intake and cutting out lots of junk; and exercise. Started out on the treadmill, walking, but now I walk and jog. I also have incorporated some strength training with weights, which has really helped with toning and raising my metabolism! Which, at age 50, can take all the help it can get! This has all become a lifestyle change for me. I am determined to NOT gain the weight back. I am loving shopping for cute clothes with my daughters now! I eat what I want, but in moderation. I don't cut any certain food out of my diet...just use common sense. I do allow myself treats...life is too short to deny ourselves of all goodies!

I just want to say that I look and feel so much better. I have energy that I haven't had in many years. I am hooked on working out...when I miss days, I feel sluggish, and can't wait to get going again! Wish I had done this years ago....Well, probably told you more than you ever could hope to ask! Sorry...I am passionate about this topic and I tend to get carried away!

Di

FORT Fogey

Diluvlabs--Hi.

Your passion is wonderful. It's what helps other people think about getting started too.

That's a great story and it shows how others can inspire/help us finally start what we keep saying we're going to do "someday."

If you do't mind another question--how did you learn about'get started with the strength-training/weightlifting? There are several very good books that I know can help beginners get started that are not intimidating and are for both men and women--and have lots of photos and illustrations and tips.

I got started lifting because I needed to be strong for some specific events--push-ups and lifting my body up while climbing/jumping fences and walls for the Physical Agility tests.

It didn't take long before irealized how much better it made me feel too! I quickly added some lifting for back strfength--that has made a huge difference not ony in my goal for the P test--but also in my daily life.

What kinds of lifting do you do?

BTW--as always---if you'd rather not answer any of my questions--don't feel that you "have to. " And you don't have to give any reason for not answering.

Sending good thoughts for the continued success of your program!

Re: 10/13 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3728705;
    There is another definition also of the 80/20 rule:

The 80/20 Diet: 12 Weeks to a Better ... - Google Books

Which basically says that 80% of the time you need to stick to good eating habits, clean proteins, veggies etc and 20% of the time , roughly 1 day during the week you can indulge your cravings.
    So.. ok... I do this. Two weekends ago I indulged and ate two pieces of pizza an a breadstick. Didn't really go over my calorie intake BUT I gained 4lbs. How the heck?!?!?! That is the issue I am having. I'm keeping track of all I eat and my workouts. I know if I were to see a doctor they'd want to see a journal. I run 3miles a day and I do light weight lifting.

Re: 10/13 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;3732391;
    So.. ok... I do this. Two weekends ago I indulged and ate two pieces of pizza an a breadstick. Didn't really go over my calorie intake BUT I gained 4lbs. How the heck?!?!?! That is the issue I am having. I'm keeping track of all I eat and my workouts. I know if I were to see a doctor they'd want to see a journal. I run 3miles a day and I do light weight lifting.
    A friend who is a trainer told me I was a carb magnet so to be careful with the portion sizes. Also something to do with carbs and water retention. But really eating only 2 slices and a breadstick? No way does that translate directly into a 4 lbs weight gain.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

CCL

When did you weigh yourself? If it was the day after the pizza-eating, it could be reflected in the gain (as pizza is quite salty).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3732431;
    When did you weigh yourself? If it was the day after the pizza-eating, it could be reflected in the gain (as pizza is quite salty).
    I only weigh once a week. Same time, same day, in same clothes

I lost 60lbs on WW from 7/07-3/08. I have kept it off until June this year. I gained 5 and now am up 15. I HATE IT! I'm trying to loose it but it's not coming off. I ran my first mini marathon in April and since then I keep gaining. Some of the gain was from injuries over the summer but now...it seems when I eat my extra "35 points" then I gain. I started to read Jillian's book Master Your Metabolism. She talks about this in there. She did the same thing. But to follow her guidance is expensive. I do a lot of what she says but I honestly can't afford to go 100% organic and home grown, home made, etc. I work outside the home full time, I have two girls, plus a boy ( I mean husband) to take care of. Not to mention all the activities we are involved in. Anyway, I started doing freezer meals this past week so I'm hoping and praying that will free up some extra time in the evenings to add an extra workout. I workout during my lunch hour here at work...we have a gym. I think I need to change up my routine some. At least that is what i'm trying this week. I just hate working out to a dvd at home.

It's frustrating now. I lost the 60...so how come I'm having problems with 15!!!!

Sorry.. didn't mean to load....

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3732229;
    There are several very good books that I know can help beginners get started that are not intimidating and are for both men and women--and have lots of photos and illustrations and tips.!
    Hi Wind Dancer - I'd be interested in your book recommendations, if it's OK to post them here. I'm very overweight. I was successful in losing quite a bit of weight on WW several years ago (with no exercise) but ended up "falling off the wagon" and haven't been able to lose weight successfully ever since. I found a "6 week plan" to work up to running a 5K online, and have been following that program for a couple weeks. It's definitely going to take more than 6 weeks for me to work up to running that far - jogging for more than 1 minute at a time is really hard for me. I'd love more information about exercises that are safe for someone who is not used to much exercise. Thanks!

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;3732460;
    I only weigh once a week. Same time, same day, in same clothes

I lost 60lbs on WW from 7/07-3/08. I have kept it off until June this year. I gained 5 and now am up 15. I HATE IT! I'm trying to loose it but it's not coming off. I ran my first mini marathon in April and since then I keep gaining. Some of the gain was from injuries over the summer but now...it seems when I eat my extra "35 points" then I gain. I started to read Jillian's book Master Your Metabolism. She talks about this in there. She did the same thing. But to follow her guidance is expensive. I do a lot of what she says but I honestly can't afford to go 100% organic and home grown, home made, etc. I work outside the home full time, I have two girls, plus a boy ( I mean husband) to take care of. Not to mention all the activities we are involved in. Anyway, I started doing freezer meals this past week so I'm hoping and praying that will free up some extra time in the evenings to add an extra workout. I workout during my lunch hour here at work...we have a gym. I think I need to change up my routine some. At least that is what i'm trying this week. I just hate working out to a dvd at home.

It's frustrating now. I lost the 60...so how come I'm having problems with 15!!!!

Sorry.. didn't mean to load....

That's okay mandmmom2. I recently read an article that said people who weigh in daily do better than those who weigh in once a week. I think the gist of it was that those who weighed in daily were more accountable. I don't know, though, since weight fluctuates so much throughout the week, I think it would drive me crazy.
    I know they say the last few pounds are the hardest. I guess you have to try something new. I don't have any tricks (I wish). I have heard that drinking milk is good for your metabolism (luckily I like milk) and that's a relatively cheap option.
    Good luck to you.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3732563;
    That's okay mandmmom2. I recently read an article that said people who weigh in daily do better than those who weigh in once a week. I think the gist of it was that those who weighed in daily were more accountable. I don't know, though, since weight fluctuates so much throughout the week, I think it would drive me crazy.
    I know they say the last few pounds are the hardest. I guess you have to try something new. I don't have any tricks (I wish). I have heard that drinking milk is good for your metabolism (luckily I like milk) and that's a relatively cheap option.
    Good luck to you.
    I think that translate to taking calcium and vitamin D together. That when you take about 1200 (vitamin units) of calcium plus vitamin D it is easier to lose weight. I read Woman's World ( i think) at the grocery line all the time and they have great articles about losing weight and then of course all the recipes to gain it back.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread