+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

FORT Fan

Re: 10/13 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3729933;
    Just read an interesting article about calorie restriction vs. exercise effects on normal weight people. Apparently cutting your calorie intake 25% dramatically improves heart health, blood sugar, inflamation, etc. etc., meaning it is unlikely you will die of a coronary event. Exercise is also good for you of course, but nothing like the dramatic effect of calorie restriction. On that you lose weight for about 6 mo and then level off... thin but not concentration camp level. The subjects were people who were normal weight or just slightly above normal... a 2 year experiment. They emphasized that you would likely not see those effects in overweight people (other than weight loss)--you really have to get down to "thin" before it kicks in.

Grew out of work on calorie restriction and life extension in rats, etc. (retricted rats live much longer). This was a survey ariticle in the NY Times magazine a couple of weeks ago....had food /weight/dieting type stuff on the cover.
    I'm confused. If you are already a healthy weight, why would cutting your calories by 25% be good for you? This would almost imply that the "anorexic model" type look is what's best for you, because certainly you would lose weight under this plan, right?

I understand why it would be good for you to eat fewer high-fat, high-cholesterol, high-sugar, etc foods, but not why it would be good to just eat less, period, if you are already healthy.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sjjmom;3731314;
    I'm confused. If you are already a healthy weight, why would cutting your calories by 25% be good for you? This would almost imply that the "anorexic model" type look is what's best for you, because certainly you would lose weight under this plan, right?

I understand why it would be good for you to eat fewer high-fat, high-cholesterol, high-sugar, etc foods, but not why it would be good to just eat less, period, if you are already healthy.
    I don't blame you for being confused---it was a surprising finding initially. But it seems to be very well supported in animal research, and they are now doing studies with human volunteers. Of course to see if living a calorie restricted life would actually extend human life beyond the maximum of about 120 years we see now you'd have to have a very, very long study....so they are just doing shorter studies of calorie restriction's effects on other measures, such as heart and circulatory health. The subjects eat a "good" diet generally...veggies, fruit, fiber type carbs, small amounts of meat.... But if they plan to "binge" at a wedding for example, they cut way down the rest of the week. One of the findings was that people start to really love apples...apples taste totally delicious. Given a choice of alcohol and apples they "want" the apple. If I can find a link to the NY Times Sunday Magazine I'll post it here, but I've had problems doing that successfully in the past. By now I would imagine that your local library might have it. The cover picture made it clear the focus that week was going to be on food/diet/health stuff.
    In the article they had some speculation as to what was happening in the cells biochemically and how it would make sense in evolutionary terms for there to be this response to "food shortage", and it made sense to me as I read it, but sadly not enough sense to recall it!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

It is surprising but it is true! Those who are slightly underweight will live longer.

The question is, at what cost? I'm smack dab in the middle of the healthy weight range for my height, and ideally should be a little less because I am small framed. But to live longer and with a healthy diet, I would have to be far thinner still. Like 20 lbs so. Yikes!
    As long as I'm healthy and enjoying life, and my weight isn't causing any health problems, I think I'll pass on a couple of extra geriatric years.

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Weight Loss and Exercise Discussion

Please use this thread to discuss weight loss and exercising. Please don't clog the show discussion thread with non-show discussion.
    Wake up and be awesome

FORT Fogey

Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

Great idea to have this thread.

Thanks!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3731935;

Thanks!
    And I speak as one of the offending cloggers!

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3731935;

Thanks!
    I also like this idea...I recently lost over 40 pounds thru diet and exercise, so looking forward to more discussion on this topic!

FORT Fogey

Diluvlabs--hi.

Would you be interested in talking about your own work--we've been discussing the role of exercise/athletic activity vs change in diet.

would you want to tell us about your experience?
    If you would rather not--that's okay.

BTW---congratulations on your successful efforts!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3732002;
    And I speak as one of the offending cloggers!
    PWS--you would not be alone in that. I do like our being able to talk about the issues that the show brings up--especially as they apply to our own lives.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3731289;

Spockwhat
    --hi. Of course you're curious--most people are.
    It's very natural and not at all rude.

I am training/conditioning for specific Physical Agility tests which include running and jumping and climbing fences and walls as well as dragging a 165 lb dummy 50 feet.

(Anyone who trains/conditions knows to incorportae rest days in their schedule. For example muscle growth/strength happens when one is NOT lifting weights but when the body is repairing the muscles that you've challenged/broken down by lifting slightly more weight than your muscles actually can.

That's how you get stronger.)
    Interesting!

Sorry, I wasn't sure because you often say things like, I burn 1500 cals every day, and I do 50 miles of biking every day, so you'll have to forgive me for taking you literally... I was concerned you would end up with injuries.

+ Reply to Thread