+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

Hey ElizabethG... you are totally right. I actually came back to back off my cynical position I made earlier, or at least to temper it a bit. I certainly did not mean to say that weight loss is easy, it's not. I just find sometimes that there is an overwhelming amount of products and information out there, and it's really easy to get caught up in the latest thing... And sometimes by getting caught up in techinical little things we can lose focus of the basics of weight loss.

I didn't mean to sound critical of anyone who uses different methods to lose weight, like, watching their glycemic index, or carb intake, OR fat intake, etc. Everyone needs to find what works for them, but when it comes down to it, after all the weight is lost, they need to find a balance in food and exercise. It's almost impossible to resist temptations forever, and when we've restricted ourselves completely from something, we will feel like failures if we give in to their temptations. It shouldn't be that way. When Shay was on Leno, she actually had a great point. She hasn't cut out what she's loved, but made replacements.

And ElizabethG, I think that is fantastic point that how we look at food is a major key...

All of that said, I still hate that weight loss has become such a 'product'. Some of the information and stuff out there is helpful and well intended, but I get downright annoyed that so much is about making money. How are those who need help supposed to wade through all that stuff? Because of the love of money, they have made weight loss even more daunting with the overload of information.

Quote Originally Posted by natamars;3749511;
    I have put on 30 lbs. over the past 2 years, mostly related to a life change and injury. I've been trying for months now to lose the weight - gym 5-6X/week, cutting calories. I went down to 1500/day - no results. Dr. suggested I try 1200 - still nothing. I cut carbs about 2 weeks ago and am down 7 since then. Very tough for me as I LOVE carbs, and usually eat the good ones. Also, I won't eat artifical sweeteners. As I lose I will slowly add stuff like oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat pasta back. I'm not much of a meat eater, but am having some turkey or chicken every day as well as vegetables, egg whites, and low-fat cheese. Still trying to keep my calories at 1200 but most days I don't even get that many in. Just last night I tried some 90% cacao chocolate. Really just a tad sweeter than baking chocolate - 2 squares had about 100 calories and 7 carbs.

madmmom, how are you doing with your detox?
    Not too good. I've been sick for over a week now...bronchitis. I have not eaten as much sweets as I was doing but still more than I should. But I lost 3lbs last week. Even though I've been sick I've made sure to eat even though I don't want to. I'm not craving the sugar near as much as I was. So, maybe the week I didn't have any sugar helped. But I've had some since but nothing like I was. Not sure if I am making any sense. I will loose this weigh I put back on. It may take a while to loose it but that is fine with me...as long as I loose it and start feeling better physically.

FORT Fogey

I know that not everyone can have the same experience due to variations in metabolism etc--but from my own expeeirnce doing at least one hour of moderate to intense exercise at least five dsays a week will amount to steady slow weight loss. And there is no need for all those calculations.

Just eat the kind of diet in the standard (new) food/dietary scheme the federal goivernment puts out.

More legumes than meat, more veggies and fruit than fats and starches.

It's the metabolic burning of calories through exercise that gets rid of excess weight for most people.

If there is any "magic number" or "magic formula" that's it.

Burn circa 6000 calories a week and lose two pounds.

Running, swimming, biking, fast walking are the best ways to do that. It really is all about moving your body to burn calories.

(realage dot com has an excellent chart for showing how many calories are in which foods and how much activity/exercise will burn how many calories .)

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3753400;
    {snip}

Burn circa 6000 calories a week and lose two pounds.

Running, swimming, biking, fast walking are the best ways to do that. It really is all about moving your body to burn calories.
    Aside from the numerics of this (insofar as 3500 calories is about a pound... and two would be 7,000 calories) you need to burn about 7,000 calories more than you're taking in in order to lose about two pounds. I'm sure that's what you meant but I still wanted it to be kinda clarified.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M;3753621;
    Aside from the numerics of this (insofar as 3500 calories is about a pound... and two would be 7,000 calories) you need to burn about 7,000 calories more than you're taking in in order to lose about two pounds. I'm sure that's what you meant but I still wanted it to be kinda clarified.
    When you look at that and consider how few calories an hour of even running burns, it is AMAZING that these contestants are losing double digits week after week... or even 4 or 5 lbs. Yes, they exercise up to 8 hours a day, but they do NOT eat that low a calorie intake.
    To lose 10 lbls in a week, you'd have to burn 35,000 fewer calories than you eat. That's a "shortage" of 5000 calories a day. Even if you exercised 10 hours a day you'd have to be burning at least 500 calories an hour. There are not a lot of exercises that burn at that rate....and I think even on TBL people don't exercise for 10 straight hours. The one thing going for them is that at their weights they burn a lot more calories than a "normal" sized person working at the same rate, especially when doing something like running. I guess that's why we see them on the treadmill so often.

I am very confused about aerobic vs. anaerobic exercise and how heart rate during cardio plays into weight loss. I jog several times a week for 45 minutes at a slow speed (5 miles/hr) and my heart rate can get up as high as 192-195. I am 39 yrs old with a minimum of 20 lbs to lose. I'm not at the point I feel like I'm ready to throw up or pass out, otherwise I would stop exercising. I sweat a lot, too. I've heard it's not good to have your heart rate this high b/c that means you're burning muscle, not fat. If I slow down, I don't feel like I'm getting a good work out. Any guidance would be appreciated.

FORT Fogey

One thing I haven't heard (unless I missed it) is the importance of water in the weight loss process. I know they talk about cutting out sugary sodas and fruit juices, but isn't the consumption of 8 oz. of water important for weight loss?

I heard Dr. Oz say not to worry about water because the food we consume is mostly water.

Quote Originally Posted by OneSillyGirl;3754771;
    I am very confused about aerobic vs. anaerobic exercise and how heart rate during cardio plays into weight loss. I jog several times a week for 45 minutes at a slow speed (5 miles/hr) and my heart rate can get up as high as 192-195. I am 39 yrs old with a minimum of 20 lbs to lose. I'm not at the point I feel like I'm ready to throw up or pass out, otherwise I would stop exercising. I sweat a lot, too. I've heard it's not good to have your heart rate this high b/c that means you're burning muscle, not fat. If I slow down, I don't feel like I'm getting a good work out. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    What are you using to measure your heart rate? Lots of room for error if you're just taking your pulse.

Sweating a lot is great, though, nothing wrong with that.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3754871;
    What are you using to measure your heart rate? Lots of room for error if you're just taking your pulse.

Sweating a lot is great, though, nothing wrong with that.
    I'm using the hand grip monitor on the treadmill at the fitness center.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by OneSillyGirl;3754771;
    OSG--hi.

I know how confusing it can be.

First you need to look at Maximum Heart Rate charts to see what yours is for your age.

Generally speaking the recommended Maximum Heart Rate (MHR) is to take the number 220 and subtract your age from that.

The remainder is the recommended heart rate and all you need to do is 60-75% of that.

so--if you're 40 years old--

220-30=180.

And then do 60-75% of that
    as your target for 10 to 15 minutes.

BTW--the heart rate really doesn't have anything to do with weight loss. Weight loss is dependent primarily on how many calories you burn.

Heart rate has to do with cardio-vascular health--that is--making your blood vessles and heart more resliient and more open and elastic through taxing execise ("cardio")

If any of this doesn't make sense--just ask and I'll do my best to explain it a diffent way.

Also I highly recommend the 'realage dot com' website as having all this info plus charts and even exercises to do.

Also they have a lot of info about the various aspects of food.

I have found it to be one of the best sites for basic info.

(And don't feel bad about being confused about any of this--most people are when we first get started. )

+ Reply to Thread