+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shay - Season 8

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Shay - Season 8

Shay

Height: 5'8"
    Hometown: Newport Beach, CA

Shay grew up the youngest of three girls. She was in the foster care system from age five to 18. As far as Shay can remember, she has been overweight. In the last 10 years Shay has found that stress, emotions and learned eating habits have continued to increase her weight. Both of Shay's older sisters are overweight, and nearly all of her extended family. Family celebrations were always centered around food. Meals at home included fried chicken, biscuits, jambalaya, gumbo, fried fish, macaroni and cheese, cakes, pies, cobblers and anything else filled with starch! At a young age, Shay was expected to learn to cook and help make these meals for the family. In the family it was considered an honor to cook well.

Shay is a social worker and is always willing to do what it takes to help a client find their motivation and strength. Currently Shay holds a 4.0 in her Master's in Social Work program, which is full-time, meanwhile she works three part time jobs and holds down an internship. Lastly, Shay's weight affects her career as she works with people for whom she is attempting to motivate, and her clients look to her as an example. Shay is eager to once and for all get into shape so she can live a long and healthy life with her husband and boys.

The Biggest Loser - NBC Site

Re: Shay - Season 8

She's the most overweight contestant, male or female, to ever appear on this show.

You wanna know how I already know this already? Because her story is already being shoved down our throats through commercials. And if you watch shows like Enterainment Tonight (I occasionally do when I have nothing else to watch right before my primetime shows), then her story was also shown on those shows also.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

This fact will be mentioned no less than 10 times in the first episode.

Oh dear...

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3684128;
    She's the most overweight contestant, male or female, to ever appear on this show.
    How heavy is she?
    She has a very pretty face (I know that's one of those things they always say to heavy people...oh, but she has a pretty face. But it's true in her case). She looks like a nice person, too.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Wow, she is from my town. This was in our local paper this morning.

Newport Beach woman is among the contestants on this season’s ‘The Biggest Loser.’

By Brianna Bailey
    Thursday, September 10, 2009

Newport Beach resident Shay Sorrells knew she had to change her life when her mother died three years ago at age 48.

Like most of the women in her family, Sorrells and her mother were overweight. Years of drug use also contributed to her mother’s death.

“It was a wake-up call,” Sorrells said. “I thought ‘I’m almost 30, can I only have 15 years to live?’ I cannot fathom death being that close.”

After trying to lose the weight on her own, Sorrells went to a casting call for season eight of the hit NBC reality television show “The Biggest Loser” earlier this year.

Weighing 476 pounds at the beginning of production, Sorrells, a school social worker, will be the heaviest contestant to compete in “Biggest Loser” history when the eighth season of the show premieres Tuesday night.

Sorrells was among a cast of 16 “Biggest Loser” contestants who signed up for a rigorous diet and fitness regimen in front of the cameras this season.

“It is difficult being cut off from family and friends on the show. You can’t lean on [them] anymore,” Sorrells said. “It’s also difficult to realize your faults on national TV — you’re having these revelations in front of America. As powerful as that is, it is difficult too.”

The relationship between Sorrells, the youngest of three girls, and her mother was not always easy. The family was homeless for a time, and Sorrells was in the foster care system from age 5 to 18.

“Being homeless and not having food consistently, I would eat as much as I could, whenever I could,” Sorrells said.

She also grew up eating rich Southern foods like jambalaya, gumbo and fried fish.

Living with an aunt at one point during her childhood, Sorrells recalls blissful meals of macaroni and cheese and fried chicken.

“I remember rolling out dough for buttermilk biscuits at age 9 or 10,” Sorrells said. “You would have eight or nine things for breakfast, and that was normal.”

On the show, Sorrells learned that exercise and healthy eating made her feel better.

“It’s really about putting into practice what I’ve heard all along, diet and exercise,” Sorrells said. “I never realized how full you feel when you eat whole, natural foods.”

After the show finished taping in August, Sorrells returned to Newport Beach. She continues exercising and watching what she eats in preparation for “The Biggest Loser’s” live finale in December, when she will weigh in with other contestants from the show for a chance to win a grand prize of $250,000.

Since being back at home, Sorrells has tried to lead a more active lifestyle with her husband of two years, Gene Smith, and her two stepsons, Damari, 10, and Caleb, 5.

The family now goes on regular bike rides or to the park, and Sorrells hikes as many as six miles at a time on her own.

“It’s been amazing,” said Smith, who also has lost 20 pounds since his wife returned home from taping the show.

“Before, we would come home after work, sit down and watch TV, maybe go to a movie,” Smith said. “We were very nonactive. Now we’re bike riding and she’s hiking — it’s crazy.”

Sorrells said she’s committed to staying fit, regardless of the show’s outcome.

“The show was life-changing for me, and I realize my journey is lifelong,” she said.

“When I think about weight lost, I really think about making the best possible choice. That’s how I live every single day.”

The link:
    Daily Pilot - Serving Newport Beach & Costa Mesa, California

PWS
    FORT Fogey

If she can hike 6 miles now she must have lost a lot!

FORT Newbie

Shay, I just wanted to tell you to keep at it! You can do it, you can become your dream self!

FORT Fogey

There are a lot of Shay haters out there, but I'm not one of them. I think she is great.

I like her too!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast