+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Show Discussion 4/28 *Spoilers*

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Re: Show Discussion 4/28 *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata
    Outside fantasy win: Ron. I don't think Ron has a chance and it would be hilarious if that happened.
    This occured to me as well. I think part of the reason Ron has been kept around so long is he simply wasn't viewed as a threat... bum knee and shoulder and all. But he's been picking up the slack lately and he is a dark horse. If he can avoid the bottom two next week, that outside fantasy just may happen. It would just be so funny that this guy who has worked so hard for his son to win... would claim the grand prize.

I'm not crazy about a Tara win. I'm not totally sure why, because she has proven herself to be an intense competitor, has never under the yellow line, and so it would be fitting for her to win the whole thing... and yet, I just don't LIKE her. Lord knows I've tried... I usually want to get behind those of my gender who can stick it to the boys... but she makes it so difficult.

Helen, I'd be ok with winning... I think she's a pretty funny lady (that whole business with her hair last night just had me laughing so hard) and I LOVE that she is FORTY-EIGHT and kicking butt in this game. But her voice can be so grating.

I want Mike to win, he's a great kid. Sure, he's a little like Ron, but that's both good and bad, cause Ron is both good and bad. When Ron speaks, a lot of times he just sounds so rational and has some wisdom... and he owns that his kids are overweight because of him... without a lot of sniveling and drama. Maybe that's why he appeals to me... he's a matter-of-fact guy, not overly dramatic. (I think that matter-of-fact personality turns others off because he seems unfeeling). But I would take the vulcanish Ron over the overly dramatic, nonsensical Tara any day of the week.
    Weird. They are like polar opposites now that I look at it. Tara wins challenges, Ron quits challenges. Tara is unbelievably dramatic and can be so earnestly silly when she speaks, and Ron is gruff and matter of fact and completely undramatic.

All I can say after that, I guess, is GO MIKE!
    Last edited by spockwhat; 04-29-2009 at 09:56 AM.

"Grating" is an excellent descriptor for Helen. That lady has rubbed me wrong since Shannon got sent home. Which is a real shame, because I'm only 5 years younger than Helen, and otherwise would've been in her corner to thrash all these twentysomethings and take the prize, if I didn't dislike her so much. Others may disagree, but I think Helen is actually looking more aged, not less, with all the weight loss. I think she now looks older than her actual age.

Something has happened to Tara's face in the last few weeks. Up until recently, I thought she was the more attractive of the two former-model friends, and commented several times on what I saw as a resemblance to Kate Winslet (another tall, famously curvy blonde). Tara looked beautiful in her makeover dress. However, it appears to me that since then, her face has gotten so gaunt or rabbity or something--all I see now are teeth. Her face has lost so much weight that it is no longer attractive, and I have revised my opinion--I think Laura is the cuter one by far. Certainly Tara has demonstrated, by routinely kicking the asses of all these guys, that she is a superlative natural athlete and steely competitor. Based on her performance on the show, she deserves the win--has there been any other contestant ever that has never faced elimination? I'd say if you've never once failed at a weighin, that qualifies you for the title--perhaps the only legitimate finalist, since she is there based solely on her perfomance and not as a result of luck, vote-getting and "strategy". A Tara win would be a pure thing, untainted by 'gameplay'. Can't say that about Helen or Ron, or to a lesser extent, Mike.

Ron--the big man's in the finals! Though I don't like him much, a win by him would certainly be an interesting and inspirational outcome, for all those folks at home considering bypass surgery as their 'only' hope. It wouldn't exactly make for a 'hot' finale reveal, because, let's face it--Ron may get smaller, but he will never be 'hot'. However, I think Ron is the most at risk for not succeeding at home, due to his disabilities and the rather toxic dyanamic that exists there with his other son. People have ruled him out as disabled from the get-go . . .and then he goes and drops 9-pound losses on the scale. Helen's 'strategy' may have backfired on her, but we shall have to see how they fare at home.

Helen's already freakin' 154 pounds. So small for all intents and purposes. I think there's no way any of them will be able to duplicate ranch weight loss at home, and the smallest people will see the biggest slowdowns. I predict this will be a battle between Tara and Mike for first place.

I want Mike to win. I don't care for either of the women left and I don't see it happening for Ron, so Mike it is.

Too bad Ron can't get all that skin removed before the finals. He'd lose many more pounds, wouldn't he?

Bearcata, I just had a terrible flash of Ron with the skin gone, a scar down the middle and one nipple in the middle of his chest.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3428485;
    3 hours for the finale.

We will have to watch their journeys yet again. They have reviewed this too many times already; last night was overkill.

I didn't understand Bob's outrage at Kristen being gone. There is no way she could have stayed and Ron did not plan it. Ron just told his son to create a tie to maintain their relationship. Did Bob prefer to have Mike vote for Kristen? He only had two choices, both of which would send her home.
    Ron totally planned it. He told his son that he should vote for Kristen to go and then there would be a tie. Since Kristen had the lowest percentage she would be the one to go home. By engineering a tie, Ron was able to "save face" and not write down Kristen's name but still make it so that one of his son's biggest competitors was eliminated. You can bet that if he couldn't have made it a tie (if, say, there were only three votes to cast, not four), Ron would have voted off Kristen in order to give his son a better shot at the title.

I'm so glad that the mentioned that Helen was 48 over and over again on the show last night. You'd think she was 84 or something. Helen does grate (as mentioned by others above).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I was looking hard at Tara's eyes last night, since so many people have pointed out that they seem 'off'. Well, to be honest, I was more distracted by her enormous teeth, but yes, I agree that her eyes seem a little wild or glassy or something. Malnutrition, maybe? Or it could just be that her eyes are quite light and film that way. I think since all the weight loss, everything on her face seems more prominent, and not in a flattering way. Her pale eyes now look even more enormous, and that contributes to their sometimes glazed or wonky looking effect. (Which I believe someone else referred to as 'hitting the sauce'. Which she wouldn't--too many calories.)

Anyway, along with Helen, I don't think Tara is looking super-good these days. Yeah, the bodies are looking fab, but the skin, the hair, the facial features . . .not so much. I'm sure after 17 weeks, they are exhausted and depleted, and their faces show it. In fact, Tara's hair looked like it hadn't even been washed all week. They are probably vitamin and electrolyte depleted with this amped-up pace and are in a sort of pseudo-starvation induced euphoric state. Ergo the glassy eyes and constant mantras. Very like a cult, actually. Which is why I beleive they have stayed on the rance FAR too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch;3428559;
    I think Tara would be nuts to date Mike. Think about it, Ron, the chess master, would still want to advise (or control) all his moves. Uck!
    Tara is 23 why would she date 18yr old Mike? Kinda yucky.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3428608;
    Plus, wouldn't you rather not date, or marry someone with the same hangups as you? That couple who met on the show and married, didn't they gain a lot of their weight back? I really don't expect many of these folks to keep all the weight off permanently but to be living with someone who is going through the same struggle could get old, and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3428608;
    I was kind of reacting to the thought of Tara and Mike dating because of a couple of earlier posts. I agree a 23 year old woman who has traveled the world (she purchased her black dress in Europe) probably wouldn't be too interested in a shy 18 year old boy. Also, I think Mike will want to enjoy a lot of the experiences he's been missing due to his weight.
    If I get too cranky, would someone wipe the drool off my chin and send me to the home!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Mike and Tara? Mike can do way better, and saner, now.

Mike isn't quite as likeable now that his inner teenage cocky boy is coming out...kind of preferred more insecure Mikey, but I agree it's better for him. And, man, he is looking great.

Have to say when Felipe went home he looked gooood! Too bad about his dad, but glad it got him to pick up the pace again.

What's with him and Kristin though---don't they want to compete for the in home prize? It's no small potatoes, and they have the advantage of all those extra weeks on the ranch over people who went home earlier.

Tara is one of those people where it comes off the face first. Her body could still use some loss, but her face is more than "done"--presumably things redistribute once her weight settles down a bit. I have to say I didn't think she looked that great in that dress....yes, she was clearly thinner, but something about the combo of her and the dress didn't do it for me. Helen though, in those jeans, wow! Even Mike noticed!

Re THREE hours---remember, we have to weigh in all those at home people--and this was the biggest cast ever. And select that prize. And reveal who was demoted to "at home" and who stayed in the top 3. And no doubt do still more stuff about life at home, tell sad/happy stories about who's out due to a heart attack or a pregnancy, etc. Plus of course we need to allow time for dramatic bursting through paper images of the contestants and all the repetion of whatever was said before the commercials surrounding the weigh ins. So, yeah, 3 hours, I can see it. If they get 2 hours out of a regular show, then definitely 3 for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3428614;
    Plus, wouldn't you rather not date, or marry someone with the same hangups as you? That couple who met on the show and married, didn't they gain a lot of their weight back? I really don't expect many of these folks to keep all the weight off permanently but to be living with someone who is going through the same struggle could get old, and fast.
    Yes, Suzy and Matt both gained a lot of weight back. Suzy had a baby, but Matt doesn't have that excuse. I haven't heard the latest word, but last I knew, Matt had regained something like 60 or 70 pounds of the 100+ he lost.

Back in those days (Season 2), a 100-pound lost was seen as astronomical. Nowadays, it's just a run-of-the-mill achievement--you're practically seen as a failure if you lose less than 100 pounds.

Couples will certainly reinforce each other's issues and habits, whether positive or negative. In the case of the severely overweight/emotional eaters, food constitutes a substance abuse problem. Just like two drug addicts trying to stay clean, two food addicts can either stay strong together or fall together. The problem with food as an abused substance is that you can't quit it cold turkey the way you can with other drugs--that makes it easy to slip. Your drug of choice is always in the house and available legally for purchase everywhere else. Married people tend to eat more than singles, too--shared meals make it easier to eat more, and misjudge the portions (especially for the wife keeping pace with her bigger husband), and married couples also get more social invitations to food-related events, too. Matt and Suzy represent the what, 90% of dieters who end up gaining most or all of their weight back, so they are not alone. But it must be particularly demoralizing to have starred in and won a weight-loss competition that made you internationally famous--only to fail at actually staying thin.

This just underlines how artificially controlled the BL contestants' weight loss is. They are undoubtedly doing the work to get there, but I think it's much harder for them to maintain the losses because they haven't contended with many real-world obstacles on their way down. Also, I believe they get addicted to the rapid results on the show, where basically they are told exactly what to do every step of the way, from what to put in their mouths to how many reps to do on a particular machine. Coping with autonomy in the real world is what got them so heavy in the first place, so when they are flung back into it, they are much smaller in body, but their head has not necessarily prevailed over their inner demons.

+ Reply to Thread