+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Show Discussion 4/28 *Spoilers*

Re: Show Discussion 4/28 *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3431951;
    Oh, gosh, here I go again.
    They do get mighty thin for the finale, but I don't think any of them look much thinner than Jillian or Bob... I wouldn't say Jillian or Bob are an 'unhealthy' weight. And I've found most of the finalists look fantastic just the way they are. There have been a few exceptions where the weight they lost made them look gaunt... but on the most part, by medical standards... none of them would have been what would be considered "unhealthy."
    Sorry to nitpick on that words "healthy weight"... but unless a person is annorexic or bulimic, being thin isn't unhealthy. Dehydration is though..
    The bold part is my point. To get to their desired weight for the finale, they abuse their bodies to get that point. They do things like dehydrate themselves just so that they can win (just look at Heba at the finale). They may not be at an unhealthy weight like, say, 95 lbs for a person who is 5'5". But what they do to get to the point they are/were at is definitely unhealthy. The show can say that they only exercise and diet to take off the pounds, but that's totally untrue. I remember the first winner revealing that he didn't eat before the finale, and when he did, he just threw it back up.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I can't remember where I read it, and right now I'm too lazy to look it up, but I saw an article where a couple of the past contestants did enemas, the Master Cleanse, and ate nothing but asparagus in the days/weeks prior to the finale. One guy went to such extremes that he had blood in his urine the day of the finale. My. God. One of those guys might have been Matt, and Kai might have been the one who ate the asparagus, but don't quote me. Don't want to falsely accuse. Regardless, that is NUTS.

One reason I love Michelle is because she looked truly healthy and happy at the final weigh in. I love how she seemingly did everything right, followed the rules, didn't act like an a**wipe, and was rewarded with the win.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

My impression is that generally the official weigh in is well before the one we see on TV (not saying the contestants know the #s, just that the producers do--so they can arrange the taped weigh in for maximum drama). I don't know if that's true for the "live" finale or not, but if it is that means they could have had time to rehydrate at least some before they are actually on stage. So I think any gauntness is more than just lack of water in their bodies.
    I would guess that the producers want them to have eaten and drunk before the show so no one faints or something on stage that would give the show a bad name.

CCL

They do get mighty thin for the finale, but I don't think any of them look much thinner than Jillian or Bob... I wouldn't say Jillian or Bob are an 'unhealthy' weight. And I've found most of the finalists look fantastic just the way they are. There have been a few exceptions where the weight they lost made them look gaunt... but on the most part, by medical standards... none of them would have been what would be considered "unhealthy."
    Sorry to nitpick on that words "healthy weight"... but unless a person is annorexic or bulimic, being thin isn't unhealthy. Dehydration is though..
    I don't know, Bob has looked pretty gaunt this season facially. My co-viewer said he went vegan over the summer and that is what led to the change in his appearance.
    I wouldn't say any of the finalists have been unhealthily thin at the finale (at least in the seasons I have seen). But some of them have appeared unnaturally/uncomfortably thin (meaning that they're at a weight that doesn't seem to suit them). That's why, as CrossingGuard mentioned above, they often gain a bit after the finale to get to a more natural (for them), sustainable weight.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fogey

I agree. Some of them look like they could take a little more off, too. Logic tells me that most of them gain some weight back because of the speed of loss.

The week before the finale you know they eliminate salt from their diet, reduce their calorie intake and pop a diuretic or two the night before weigh in. They also back off on weight training and go for aerobics. Given that they all gain weight in the few days following the final weigh in!

This season I refused to watch them all lose weight while I held onto my extra pounds so I lost with them and dropped 40 pounds. I am now at my goal weight and expect to keep it off since I gained this weight in the last few years.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Congrats, shoepie!!! When does the next season start? I've actually taken baby steps... gotten out some weights that I wave around during TV watching, gotten a pedometer (the thing looks more complex than my vcr remote, but am determined to figure it out!), gotten some earphone things I can wear when watching tv and walking on the walking machine, and gotten a promise from my kids to resurrect it from the basement.... My work load and stress lighten dramatically in about two weeks, so that's my goal for a serious start date, but using TBL as a "partner" is a good idea! We can all weigh in together!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Woah, I suspected they were drastic before the finals, but I never expected them to go so far... it's kind of sad.

Congrats, shoepie! I had to lose 40 a few years back, and have maintained it since. It feels great, yes?!

PWS, I think baby steps are the way to go anyway... it's really all about making those small changes that are managable anyway... and become a part of your life so you don't even think about going back. I'll be rooting for you!

There is a video of Both have put a lot of weight back on. Local Biggest Loser Finalists Visit School - Wake County - MyNC.com

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3432906;
    Woah, I suspected they were drastic before the finals, but I never expected them to go so far... it's kind of sad.

Congrats, shoepie! I had to lose 40 a few years back, and have maintained it since. It feels great, yes?!

PWS, I think baby steps are the way to go anyway... it's really all about making those small changes that are managable anyway... and become a part of your life so you don't even think about going back. I'll be rooting for you!
    Thanks, spockwhat! I can use all the encouragement I get! I'm even going to halftime at work next year so I can be less stressed and spend more time on my health.

FORT Regular

yeah they aren't at an unhealthy weight but they do drastic things prior to the finale that are extremely unhealthy. i remember reading an article last year about past contestants saying they lived on jello and diet drinks. crazy things that would never be allowed on campus or in any legitimate weight loss program. sadly, they look thin and sick and not trim and healthy. i'm not surprised at those that gain the weight back in large numbers.

+ Reply to Thread