+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Show Discussion 4/28 *Spoilers*

Re: Show Discussion 4/28 *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3428574;
    I think part of the reason Ron has been kept around so long is he simply wasn't viewed as a threat... bum knee and shoulder and all. But he's been picking up the slack lately and he is a dark horse. If he can avoid the bottom two next week, that outside fantasy just may happen. It would just be so funny that this guy who has worked so hard for his son to win... would claim the grand prize.
    He isn't viewed as a threat because he isn't one. He's not going to win. I'm willing to bet anything on that. If he happens to make the finals, then he's going to have a lot to lose to simply catch up to the others. Then he's going to have to lose some more in order to take the lead. And this is while the other finalists are working at home, taking their own weight off also. If he wins, I'll eat a hat. Anyway, he'll probably land below the yellow line next week, as that's his second home. With America's Vote back this season (ugh, I hate that twist with a passion), viewers probably wouldn't vote for him to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;3428593;
    Based on her performance on the show, she deserves the win--has there been any other contestant ever that has never faced elimination? I'd say if you've never once failed at a weighin, that qualifies you for the title--perhaps the only legitimate finalist, since she is there based solely on her perfomance and not as a result of luck, vote-getting and "strategy". A Tara win would be a pure thing, untainted by 'gameplay'. Can't say that about Helen or Ron, or to a lesser extent, Mike.
    I don't have the statistics, so I also don't know if any other contestant has never went below the yellow line. But that's interesting, I never thought about how a Tara win would be based mostly on exercise and not on gameplay. And you'd think as a huge Tara fan, I would notice this. I know that she still played the game somewhat. She probably didn't work as hard when she had immunity. I don't think she waterloaded, but she could have laid off on the exercises a little bit. But yeah, the girl worked her ass off (literally) to get to this point. This is just one more reason why I would be very satisfied if Tara took the title.

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;3428720;
    Mike has impressed me heretofore with his maturity in other areas, though. The cocky young man attitude we've been seeing for a few weeks now might have been there all along but now is being engineered to the forefront, since Mike is nearly universally likeable, much like Michelle and Ali before him. He will most likely win, unless Tara squeaks by him by a pound or two.
    I have to disagree about Mike being in the likes of Michelle and Ali. For one thing, Ali was not that popular when she came back on the ranch during her season. I remember her rubbing some FoRTers the wrong way, much like Tara does this season. She was still well-liked, but I think Kelly was more popular than her during the season. But I will say that she probably is universally loved nowadays.

And no one will ever beat Michelle in terms of popularity. No one. Case and point: she was up against Vicky, Heba, Brady, and Ed in her season. When it came down to the finals, who was there to root for out of the group? No one except Michelle. Not only was she edited as a likable person, she looked like a saint compared to the likes of Vicky.

And lastly, if you go around to other sites, Mike has a good amount of people who hate him. Part of it is his cocky attitude, part of it is his association with his dad. And maybe some people (myself included ) just really want to see Tara win and see him as a big threat.

If I had to bet on who would win, I guess I would pick Mike, but I don't like how everyone has counted out Tara and Helen already. I know they have a less amount of weight to lose, and if they reached the 55% mark, they would be on the brink of being gaunt. But nothing is impossible with them. The ladies are just as determined as he is.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 05-01-2009 at 04:51 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3431055;

I have to disagree about Mike being in the likes of Michelle and Ali. For one thing, Ali was not that popular when she came back on the ranch during her season. I remember her rubbing some FoRTers the wrong way, much like Tara does this season. She was still well-liked, but I think Kelly was more popular than her during the season. But I will say that she probably is universally loved nowadays.
    Not by me; I still can't stand her (Ali).

And lastly, if you go around to other sites, Mike has a good amount of people who hate him. Part of it is his cocky attitude, part of it is his association with his dad. And maybe some people (myself included ) just really want to see Tara win and see him as a big threat.

If I had to bet on who would win, I guess I would pick Mike, but I don't like how everyone has counted out Tara and Helen already. I know they have a less amount of weight to lose, and if they reached the 55% mark, they would be on the brink of being gaunt. But nothing is impossible with them. The ladies are just as determined as he is.
    I'm wavering between wanting Mike or Tara to win. At this point I think I would like Tara to win whereas before I was mostly backing Mike. It is impressive how she has never been below the yellow line (hope she can keep that record next week). I can see Tara have the determination to "get gaunt" in order to win the title. Though it is kind of sad/wrong for someone to have to get unnaturally thin in order to emerge victorious (just as one of the crying brothers got way too skinny at the finale a couple of years back in an effort to win the at-home prize).
    Last edited by CCL; 05-01-2009 at 09:09 AM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3429427;
    Setting up that kind of surgery takes time and I think it is considered cosmetic so his health insurance will not cover it. Then they is recovery time, no way, no how would he have time to do this before the final weight in. Now if he won any kind of prize and did it after, that's another story.
    It may be up to the insurance, or how the doctor describes it, whatever, but I have a friend who had bypass surgery and had that apron thing that hung to her knees. It was removed and she didn't have to pay.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

This is completely off-topic of who should deserve to win... but it was a funny moment I noticed and completely forgot to mention.
    During the challenge, when each player had unloaded all their weight, they got to the end and threw their bag off the cliff. They all had these moments where they would shout something appropriate as the threw the bag over: "NEVER AGAIN!" Stuff like that.
    When Ron finally got to the end, he throws it over and shouts:
    "See you later!"

Omg.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3431182;
    This is completely off-topic of who should deserve to win... but it was a funny moment I noticed and completely forgot to mention.
    During the challenge, when each player had unloaded all their weight, they got to the end and threw their bag off the cliff. They all had these moments where they would shout something appropriate as the threw the bag over: "NEVER AGAIN!" Stuff like that.
    "See you later!"

Omg.
    And sadly, that may well be the case. If he doesn't stick with what he's learned he may be right back in the shape he was when he started. I hope that doesn't happen.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard
    He isn't viewed as a threat because he isn't one. He's not going to win. I'm willing to bet anything on that. If he happens to make the finals, then he's going to have a lot to lose to simply catch up to the others. Then he's going to have to lose some more in order to take the lead. And this is while the other finalists are working at home, taking their own weight off also. If he wins, I'll eat a hat. Anyway, he'll probably land below the yellow line next week, as that's his second home. With America's Vote back this season (ugh, I hate that twist with a passion), viewers probably wouldn't vote for him to stay.
    Oh, I agree... that's why a win by him would be an "outside fantasy." It's so unlikely that if it did happen, it would blow everyone away.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3431182;
    "See you later!"

Omg.
    Like I said before, I think in Ron's mind this journey is about his son winning TBL--not him (winning or getting healthy!).

Everyone else made strong statements- NEVER AGAIN, indicating that they are serious and despise what happened to them. Ron nonchalantly sauntered up and practically said...see you guys (lbs.) again soon. I really think Ron has been so caught up in Mike that he is not realizing his full potential. His body, also, has not changed in appearance in an extreme way (especially compared to the others)...I think that is yet another obstacle for him. I would not be surprised if Ron has reached the mentality that a heavy weight is inevitable and unescapable for him (he has even had some moments where he has said that was ALWAYS his mindset..hard to break that).

Plus, Ron has been with Bob the entire time...Bob who constantly enforced Ron's gameplay for a MIKEY win. Everytime you hear Bob discussing strategy with Ron it centers around "my son." Do we see a problem here?....
    Why don't we have a clip where Bob erupts and says "HELLO!!! I know you want your son to win, and we can work on that, but we have to work on YOU first!" That would be a dramatic clip and we woulda seen it...but I doubt it happened.
    Whereas if Ron was on Jillians team she woulda been delving into these psychological problems at the beginning and would not have let him avoid the issues that led to his weight gain...and never would she have allowed Ron to basically push aside HIS life in favor of his son winning TBL. We have seen in the past that Jillian always tries to get to the root of the problem, no matter how hard it is...with Laura (yes it was painful but we saw results), with Michelle (she attacked the divorce issues head-on), with Mike (youre angry...WHY?,. your dad? Let's talk about it!); we can't forget how much she stresses that people have to step outside of being parents for at least an hour or two a day to take care of themselves--and in that way benefit their kids lives. She has even brought in her mom (psychologist) to help these contestants.

So sad but I really believe Ron will be seeing his weight "later."

addison h.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3431287;
    And sadly, that may well be the case. If he doesn't stick with what he's learned he may be right back in the shape he was when he started. I hope that doesn't happen.
    I wonder what the ratio is of contestants who keep the weight off to contestants who don't.
    It's so rare that we ever see any of these people ever again.

I would love love love to see a season of past contestants who've gained it back and have to go through the experience all over again.

and sidebar I just saw someone on the street in georgetown wearing a bodybug armband - I've never seen anyone with one on in real life - it's making me reconsider getting one myself

Quote Originally Posted by addison h.;3431369;
    I wonder what the ratio is of contestants who keep the weight off to contestants who don't.
    It's so rare that we ever see any of these people ever again.

I would love love love to see a season of past contestants who've gained it back and have to go through the experience all over again.

and sidebar I just saw someone on the street in georgetown wearing a bodybug armband - I've never seen anyone with one on in real life - it's making me reconsider getting one myself
    I don't know but I think that most of them gain some of their weight back. Hopefully they don't get back to where they were before they started but I wouldn't be surprised. While it's very dramatic to lose a hundred or more pounds in just a matter of weeks, it isn't all that realistic in my opinion. And I doubt that it's considered very healthy to take that approach but since some of these folks seem about ready to keel over anyway, it has to beat what they're living with. What is hard for me to understand is how someone with the determination of a Tara ever let themselves get in that shape to begin with. You'd think that when she got 20 or so pounds overweight she would have hit the gym or whatever it took.

Mindy, I don't keep up with the trainers but does Jillian have a psychology degree or anything? I don't like her screaming in people's faces or any of the other stunts she pulls but I wondered if she has any training to help them get to the root of their problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3431533;

Mindy, I don't keep up with the trainers but does Jillian have a psychology degree or anything? I don't like her screaming in people's faces or any of the other stunts she pulls but I wondered if she has any training to help them get to the root of their problems.
    Her mom is a psychologist...she brought her in a few seasons ago to get to the real root of the contestants problems that season. I would not be surprised if Jillian seeks the opinion of both her mom and other professionals in these circumstances (she mentioned in her book that she knows and interacts with a good chunk of the doctors in the area).

But, aside from that, anyone should be able to recognize that several of these contestants have outside probelms--where eating is just the symptom. I applaud Jillian for trying to get to the root of the wieght gain, whereas Bob just seems obsessed with winning.

+ Reply to Thread