+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 4/7 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 4/7 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by addison h.;3411277;
    Has anyone read Jillian's latest book? I just finished it and it's made me think that maybe the re-casting might have something to do with her not quite being compatible with all of their product placement!

She is all about not eating any processed food - which makes sense - but she has a list of companies whose processed food is okay - and there's no general mills or quaker etc. on it. (she even talks about not using microwave in bag or boil in bag veggies)

I really hope they keep her - I love Jillian... but I wonder - are her teams really only eating the way she advocates? Or are they eating the products being pushed by the Biggest Loser?
    I wonder what the problem is with boil in bag or microwave in bag foods. Do you remember if she said? I use them all the time and just wondered if there's a health issue with them.

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3411498;
    I'm still overweight because I developed bad habits (which I'm working on through weight watchers. I lost 2lbs this week!)
    Just wanted to say a quick congrats on your 2 lb loss. Stick with the WW plan. It's a great program, in my opinion.

I was disheartened to see Sione go. Although I don't like his cousin one bit, I was a fan of Sione. He is quite an inspiration. I think I would have preferred to see Helen go. And I KNOW I would have preferred to see Ron go... but, I guess that wasn't an option.
    "They want you to do a TV show?"
    "Well, they want me to come up with an idea. I don't have any ideas."
    "C'mon, how hard is that? Look at all the junk that's on TV."
    - George and Jerry, in "The Pitch"

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3411498;
    There's a Q&A article on Tara and Helen in OK! Magazine so I picked it up at the store (more for Tara) and after reading it I can understand now why Helen was so desperate to stay at the Ranch. I still think she bullied her daughter into sacrificing herself but now it makes a little bit more sense. She said that she had gotten so depressed that everyday, after seeing her 16 year old son off to school she would go back to bed until it was almost time for him to come home and she would shower and get dressed so he wouldn't know how depressed she had gotten. I thought that was kind of sad and it made me feel bad for her. I hope that losing the weight will help her but in my experience (I was depressed off and on since I was 9 until 4 years ago) depression doesn't just go away until you get to the root of the depression. Rarely is weight the reason for the depression. Usually the weight is the symptom of the depression. I know that's the case for me. I'm still overweight because I developed bad habits (which I'm working on through weight watchers. I lost 2lbs this week!) but the depression was over when I simply refused to be depressed anymore and made the decision to get to the root of it and for lack of a better term, "I got over it". But I had to identify it to get over it. Identifying it and admitting it was the hard part. Getting over it was the easy part. It was just a decision.
    I agree with you on the depression, that overeating/weight-gain is a symptom not a cause of it. I remember an Oprah where she had people on who had had gastric bypass surgery and lost considerable amounts of weight and subsequently developed addictions to other things, alcohol, even pomiscuous sex. It was very sad. But it does confirm the fact that if there is an underlying emotional problem, loosing weight does not make it go away.

One thing I forgot to mention is that although I'm not bugged too much by the Shannon vote out until I hear more, what does bother me about Helen is her apparent lack of self-control. In both the luxury night where she was eating shrimp cocktail and tequilla shots and the temptation where she pigged out on cupcakes and other junk food for the golden ticket. She is not learning to make the tough choices yet and it doesn't bode well for her when she goes home.

She obviously can do a great job working out and loosing weight when others are right there with her preparing food and training her, she's taking no responsibility to do it on her own. Come to think of it, wasn't there an episode when she was at home going grocery shopping with her husband and it was a huge struggle for her to make healthy purchases? She isn't owning it yet and I really hope she gets to the place for herself and her kids/family.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3411723;
    I wonder what the problem is with boil in bag or microwave in bag foods. Do you remember if she said? I use them all the time and just wondered if there's a health issue with them.
    In the last year or two there has been a big scare about BPAs in plastic containers leeching into food and drink. It's mostly used in making clear, hard plastic, so I don't know how much bags are a concern. Then again, I remember hearing that the most transfer takes place when heating food in the plastics. Personally, I try not to heat anything in plastic, the idea just grosses me out after the big uproar about BPAs even though I usually try not to freak out about every little thing. To me, it's not that hard to steam veggies in a pot or warm my leftovers on a plate versus in the plastic I stored them in in the fridge. Just my personal preference. I think I remember hearing using BPA in plastic was banned in Canada, but I could be wrong.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/22/health/22well.html

Higher Urinary Levels Of Commonly Used Plastic Compound, BPA, Linked To Cardiovascular Disease, Diabetes

Plastic Baby Bottles: Do They Hold a Danger?

Good news, Ziplock says they don't use BPA in their zip lock bags. You'd have to look up other specific steam-in veggie brands. For some reason I think hamburgers are best heated up in zip lock bags, they don't get hard and crusty.

From Saran ™ : Simple Solutions ™ for Food Preparation / Clean-up
    I recently heard media reports that plastic products contain a chemical that can encourage prostate cancer. Do SC Johnson’s plastic products contain BPA (bisphenol A)?

No. A recent study conducted and published by the University of Cincinnati found that the estrogen-like chemical, BPA (bisphenol A), has been shown to encourage the growth of a specific category of prostate cancer cells. BPA is commonly used in the manufacture of certain plastic products, such as food cans, milk container liners, food containers, and water supply pipes. As a result, media have been reporting on this study and the fact that this chemical is commonly found in plastic food storage containers.

SC Johnson does not use BPA in its plastic products, Ziploc® brand bags and containers, and Saran ™ brand wraps.

SC Johnson is a leader in providing high quality products. All of its products are extensively evaluated for toxicity and safety and comply with, and often even exceed, applicable quality and safety regulations.

addison h.

I don't have the book with me but I'll look up exactly what she said when I get home and PM you!

Also - don't you guys think that the story about Helen's depression and the story about Tara feeling so out of place are MUCH more interesting than hearing YET another story about how the contestants are strategizing? I wish the producers would show us more of their backstories - even if it's just them talking about it to the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by addison h.;3411878;
    I don't have the book with me but I'll look up exactly what she said when I get home and PM you!
    Also - don't you guys think that the story about Helen's depression and the story about Tara feeling so out of place are MUCH more interesting than hearing YET another story about how the contestants are strategizing? I wish the producers would show us more of their backstories - even if it's just them talking about it to the camera.
    Can you PM me too?

Can you just post it on the thread?

Just a comment about Helen. I know she has gotten alot of negative posts because she didn't sacrifice herself for her daughter and stayed on the ranch. Well, I do think that Helen may have the bigger problem and did need the ranch more. Also when does it stop? When does a parent stop sacrificing they hopes, dreams and quality of life for their child. Shannon is old enough to take care of herself. I know lots of parents who pratically throw their kids out at 18 and expect them to take care of themselves. On the other hand I know parents who quit taking care of themselves to take care of their families. I know I did that and there comes a time when I had to realize I was being unappreciated, being used as a doormat and I didn't like myself much, was depressed and overeating. I had to stand up for myself and start taking care of me. I think this is where Helen is and I wish her the best of luck. I also noticed when I excersized regularly I didn't get depressed and I am only doing Boot Camp 2 or 3 times a week. It makes a huge difference in how I feel.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

For me, I don't use plastic wrap or plastic bags when re-heating or cooking in the microwave, because, and I can't remember where this happened, but someone choked on their food and died. It was a result of the plastic melting into the food. This was quite a few years ago, and I'm sorry I don't have all the details, but I remember it specifically and never use plastic anymore in the microwave for that reason.

addison h.

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;3412774;
    Can you just post it on the thread?
    sure - I just didn't think that many people would want to read it (unlike all of my other "brilliant" insights and information )

In reference to "bagged" foods:
    THE FIRST TIME SHE TALKS ABOUT THEM:
    she doesn't single any type of vegetable or any brand out specifically - she just says that any chemicals we put in our body become "endocrine disruptors" (basically an agent that seriously messes with our hormones/metabolism) and that boil/microwave in bag vegetables are bad because chemicals in the plastic can leach out into our food. (and then disrupt our hormones/metabolism)

THEN LATER IN THE BOOK:
    she has a list of how to prepare food to minimize toxins going into your body and the list includes things like -
    1. Remove visible fat and skin from any chicken, meat, or fish.
    10. Don't store food in plastic containers. Throw them out and replace them with glass ones.

and number 16 talks about the bagged foods...

16. Don't buy boil-in-bag or microwave-in-bag vegetables or rice.

(no further reasoning or explanation - just "don't")

------------- ------------- ----------- --------------
    (now for a quick sidenote from addison...)

just remember - she is going to EXTREMES here -

for instance - check out numbers 3, 5, and 9:
    3. Peel skins to eliminate pesticide residue from vegetables and fruits
    5. Chop off the tops of fruits such as apples and pears to avoid pesticides that might drain into the stem area.
    9. Wash fruits with gentle dish soap that doesn't contain scents or phosphates

so we're supposed to wash our fruit, then PEEL it anyway, then chop the tops off? that's an awful lot to do to one sad little apple (that's supposed to be organic in the first place)

she also says to throw out every food she thinks is toxic (there's a very long litany of these) and don't even give them to homeless shelters because "Why should a poor person eat this crappy food if you shouldn't?" -I mean... really Jill? really?

so I wouldn't freak out about the plastic leaching but she's clearly not a big fan of it

Basically the point of all of it is that there are so MANY toxins leaching into our body from plastic/processing chemicals/fake foods and EVERY ONE OF THEM messes a little with your hormones until they're completely out of whack and your metabolism becomes basically worthless.

I'm being a little sarcastic with my thoughts here - BUT - I would say it's generally a really good book. There's SO much information that it makes your head swim. However, on the flip side, it did make me go to Whole Foods and buy organic food (and I usually kind of roll my eyes about that stuff) so it did at least make an impression.

Hope that helps!

+ Reply to Thread