+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 4/7 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 4/7 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

P.S. Just a shout-out to anybody out there losing weight on their own and has a 2 or 3 pound loss on the scale--that's awesome! I feel this show tends to distort our perception of what a 'good' weight loss number is. On BL, a 3-pound loss is cause for tears, team-hate and self-recrimination. Whereas, in "Real World", 3 pounds in one week would make you the King or Queen of the local Weight Watchers weigh-in.

"Ranch World" is NOT "Real World"--I know we know this, but I feel I have to point it out periodically in case anybody wonders how come they can't sustain 10-pound weight-losses every week for 6 weeks running. They may be feeding these people meth for all we know. In "Real World", 10 pounds in one MONTH is super fantatic amazing progress. Even 5 pounds in a month, or any loss at all, no matter how incremental, needs to be celebrated.

P.P.S. How'dya like the blatant lying by Bob last night while pimping Marley & Me on DVD last night? For those of us in "Real World", M&M DID just come out, what, yesterday? But in Ranch World, was it even Christmas yet? How'd Bob get a copy of that DVD before it was even in theatres? Oh, the magic of television . . .

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3407036;
    I was sooooo ready for Ron to go home. He is the instigator and "godfather" of this batch of biggest losers. I find his attitude a bit much to take. That being said, he still has a lot of health issues, and I think he needs to deal with them at home. I think he also needs to give his publicist a rest until the show is over. OK, I'm a LITTLE bit cynical.
    Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3407349;
    I was screaming at Ron last night to just let it go. It is a game and in the end it's really about taking off the most weight. I don't know how I would have handled the situation with Sionne but Ron should have just kept himself above the yellow line just as he did and smile it off.
    "To those of you who voted to keep me here, thank you. To the rest of you, I hope you roll over and die!" Or something to that effect. He is a nut job. He is so full of himself. I wonder if he was one of the people Jillian mentioned about asking how to go about getting an agent in the first week.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3406748;
    If I was Laura, I would have thought about keeping Sione and allying with him and Felipe and Tara. They could have gotten into the Final Four with those people.
    I was thinking this too. With those four, they could've easily voted off Ron, Mike, and Kristen. It appears blue boys didn't have anything against Kristen, but with her solid stance with Ron and Mike (even though she said Ron was manipulative), she would have most likely stayed with her original alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDiva;3406841;
    Wow, there are usually more posts at this time. A lot of people ,must be over Biggest Loser.

Well, Sione, goes home, leaving the Brown Bomber to gloat. Hopefully he will eat three packages of Snickers and be below the yellow line next week. To Kristin - WAKE UP GIRL!!
    I for one DVR'd TBL and watched AI live since voting is involved there. I had to sacrifice The Reaper though I have no idea when the CW will have it up online but that's how I'll have to watch it.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;3407440;
    P.P.S. How'dya like the blatant lying by Bob last night while pimping Marley & Me on DVD last night? For those of us in "Real World", M&M DID just come out, what, yesterday? But in Ranch World, was it even Christmas yet? How'd Bob get a copy of that DVD before it was even in theatres? Oh, the magic of television . . .
    I imagine he just downloaded it off the internet months ago like everyone else.

I've been doing Jillian's workouts, via DVD, for a few weeks now, and I'm no longer surprised at the extreme weight loss numbers that the contestants consistently have. Her methods are unbelievably tough, and in all the years I've spent at the gym and in aerobics classes - I even went through a jogging phase about 13 years ago - I've never worked as hard as I do during a freaking 20-minute Jillian workout. Frankly, I'm astonished more people aren't carted off to the hospital and that there aren't more injuries, given how heavy and out-of-condition the contestants are in the first few weeks. The fact that Jillian and Bob can keep them going is a testament to their skills as trainers - maybe closer to the end the money is a motivation but it must seem as far away as a winning lottery ticket in the first couple of weeks.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3407002;
    I wasn't really in suspense either, because I was thinking... "hmm, lets see if Tara wants her biggest challenge threat gone... uh... YEAH!"

I also LOVED seeing Jerry and Colleen! Jerry continued to lose weight and I can't believe how thin he is... it must make his job as cop so much easier.

I agree Laura is the dark horse now. She's been the biggest loser of the week for a couple of weeks this past while. She is an emerging threat, but I don't think people see her as such. She's in a fabulous position.

I kind of like Ron *ducks* but he should go soon. Though I admire he managed to play this game effectively... (under the line six times!?)... I feel this game is getting close to done for him.
    Sione is definitely Tara's biggest threat challenge wise but Helen is the bigger threat weight wise. This was a bad decision IMO.

I agree that it's Felipe that is the bigger jerk but they're both jerks. Sione did look really hot at home
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesgal;3407405;
    Why in the heck is Ron STILL THERE?? It baffles my mind because his weight loss is slow, he can hardly do a darn thing and he is no role model when it comes to working out and getting the job done. Anyway, I have never warmed up to Helen either- or her daughter- and I don't know why.
    Kristin was the only smart one in the group by not eating much at the challenge- its funny that no one seemed to realize what she did- you eat cupcakes, you fall below yellow line. simple. I can't stand these kind of challenges - stuff your face for a prize- ON A WEIGHT LOSS SHOW! Jillian was ticked off- but her anger should be geared towards the producers and challenge makers- not the contestants. I would probably eat the junk too- but I would be looking for the gum and money.
    If you check out Jillian's thread you'll see that she is angry at both the producers and the contestants.

Actually (and I HATE Bob by the way) he was not lying. He actually said that they were getting to see the movie a bit earlier than it is really coming out. Last week on the show Ali had just had the baby so that's why she didn't host in the beginning of the show. I think it was Tara or Kristin that made the comment about the weigh in that it had been 6 days after the baby was born. The baby was born on Jan 13 so when they were filming last night's episode it was probably the first week of Feb. Certainly WAY before the movie came out but Bob wasn't lying.

BTW: I found this picture of Ali and baby Megan on her blog

Last edited by stacerace; 04-08-2009 at 04:12 PM.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

FORT Regular

"Yak Yak Yak. Talk Talk Talk. That's all I hear. Just kidding Bob." - hahaha
    Last edited by teetoo; 04-08-2009 at 04:09 PM.

P.S. Just a shout-out to anybody out there losing weight on their own and has a 2 or 3 pound loss on the scale--that's awesome! I feel this show tends to distort our perception of what a 'good' weight loss number is. On BL, a 3-pound loss is cause for tears, team-hate and self-recrimination. Whereas, in "Real World", 3 pounds in one week would make you the King or Queen of the local Weight Watchers weigh-in.

"Ranch World" is NOT "Real World"--I know we know this, but I feel I have to point it out periodically in case anybody wonders how come they can't sustain 10-pound weight-losses every week for 6 weeks running. They may be feeding these people meth for all we know. In "Real World", 10 pounds in one MONTH is super fantatic amazing progress. Even 5 pounds in a month, or any loss at all, no matter how incremental, needs to be celebrated.

The show presents an unrealisitic way to lose weight. Going on the show is basically a last ditch effort to slim down before resorting to surgery. These players are sequestered on a ranch dedicated to losing weight, shutting them out of any activities or stresses that they would encounter in their real lives. They are able to completely focus their attention on one thing and one thing only--losing weight--whch enables them to lose the pounds faster than usual.

This is the reason as to why I have warmed up to the twist in the very first week. With the at-home players' successes with weight loss, it showed viewers that those of us who are a bit on the heavy side are able to lose the weight in an efficient amount of time while still living out our daily lives. We're not going to be as fast as the players on the show, but it's still efficient. Sure, some at-home players failed (like Aubrey), but it was to be expected. And not to mention that the 3 players that never really got a chance to come back to the ranch (Estella, Nicole, Dave) still got the chance to come back. For a while, I was unhappy that those 3 were never able to experience the ranch, so the twist was satisfying to me.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hikari

from me too!

I have a friend who is 'inspired' by this show and sets unrealistic weight goals for herself. She'll succeed in losing 20 pds quickly (she's over 300) and then lose motivation and just gain it back. I try to tell her that moderation (small lifestyle changes) rather than extreme dieting and exercise are the way to go... but she wants dramatic results.

Besides the extreme workouts, I find the attitude towards food in general to be really unhealthy. When certain foods are considered evil and completely banned, dieters are more likely to binge when they do have one of the banned foods. One can diet AND have pizza once in a while... as long as they stick to one slice and a big salad and don't gobble the whole pie. It's been proven that those people who make small, permanent changes over time are more likely to keep the weight off over the long run. And not suffer!

Losing one pound a week is only a reduction of 500 calories a day (from what your body needs). That doesn't take extreme effort and one would lose 52 pounds over the course of a year! Add another 250calories burned with some moderate exercise and a person would succeed in losing 78 pounds in one year... without a lot of pain!

I love seeing the huge transformations, but it concerns me greatly what message is sent to a general public trying to lose weight.

Sorry for the rant.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 04-09-2009 at 09:22 AM.

At least with The US show there are still some contestants to root for left. I am watching the Aussie version for the first time this season and I stopped cause thank to an alliance all the people I do not like are there and nobody to root for.

Great episode. Very happy to have Sione gone. I thought I was spoiled and that Ron was the one going. I am not a fan of him but I preferred to get one of the blues out first.

One thing I did not understand. What was the benefit of Tara falling below the yellow line?.
    Then she, her friend,would have to pick the one next to Tara. No choice. Maybe it was one of her group, or her alliance if she has any.
    If there would be 2 other people to pick from would that not be much better?
    You can pick the biggest thread?

+ Reply to Thread