Closed Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2/3 Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Re: 2/3 Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

I really want Carla to take the 100k because she really got the short end of the stick being paired with her so called friend who could care less about the whole thing. It's no wonder Joelle still lives with her mother. I cannot imagine living with someone who only thinks about themselves!
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fogey

I think one reason that many of the other teammates came down so hard on Joelle was that in her being only into her OWN needs, she actually made THEM work that much harder...I remember during Bob's rants, it wasn't only Joelle that had to keep doing the high speed run for 30 seconds it was ALL OF THEM. i don't blame them for being frustrated...in the training area they did somethings as a team, and she was never a team player.

FORT Fogey

As a late comer to this season, would someone please answer questions for me? How come Carla went home the first week, and Joelle stayed at the ranch? Who decided which teammate went home? Honestly, Carla would have utilized the ranch experience far more than Joelle did. Joelle certainly seemed distant from the entire experience (sort of vague and emotionless most of the time).

Quote Originally Posted by MomAt40Pls;3303530;

Aubrey's 2-lb loss in 30 days and then her excuses made me crazy. But thank you Bob and Jillian for trashing those excuses! They made me want to stand up and cheer. But, then we get the scenes with Aubrey on the bike and Jillian talking to her. She asks Aubrey how much time she spent in the gym. Aubrey says 4-5 hours a day. Jillian asks her why she didn't lose more, and Aubrey says it's the food. So, here's the perfect lead-in for Jillian to actually talk about what to eat and about the fact that 70-80% of weight loss comes from what we eat rather than how much exercise we get. And what's Jillian's response? "Aubrey needs to learn to ask for help." Say what? Not, "okay, tell me what you've been eating." Not, "let's discuss what you should be eating." None of that. Just, "Aubrey needs to learn to ask for help." Lame!

Marilyn
    I find it very hard to believe that Aubrey was in gym 4-5 hours a day. I think she meant 4-5 hours a week. That and totally not doing the food would explain the 2 lbs weight loss in 30 days.

I totally agree that diet is 80% behind successful weight loss. Exercise just helps excelerate the process and maintains what ever muscle mass the contestents have.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I missed the first episode, but my impression is each team that had to send someone home (most of them) decided themselves who would go and who would stay. Apparently silver felt that Joelle needed the motivation of the ranch more than Carla (which was probably true).
    You all know the concept of "piling on"? From sports? When the obviously winning team just runs up the score? That's what I felt about last night's show and everyone's treatment of Joelle. Way too much--Joelle was annoying but her treatment was brutal. And no way in hell would I ever be friends with someone who talked to me the way Carla does to Joelle, justified or not.
    Re Aubrey of the 2 lb. loss and over the top speech to Joelle---I was waiting for Joelle to point out that Aubrey was in NO positiion to talk. Carla certainly would have!
    I also note that the previous week Joelle had had her biggest loss of the season; even though it wasn't much by some people's standards it was by hers, so I wasn't surprised her # would go down. To zero... ok, a bit much...but maybe she'd really dehydrated herself the week before.
    At least Ron died back the tears a bit this time. I think he could see that if Bob's 3 voted for silver even if Jillian's 3 voted for brown they'd be safe as silver had lost even less. Which, by the way, is probably why Jillian's voted for silver--even though they'd benefit by having brown gone, there was no way to do it, so why not do the emotionally satisfying thing of voting out Joelle? Or, who knows, maybe they feared what Carla could do once the teams split, while they knew neither brown player was that great.
    And, by the way, WHAT a surprise that the immune team barely lost a lb.! The trainers looked disgusted, but clearly there is nothing they can do about the waterloading issue. All of which makes immunity a two week prize instead of a one week one.

Aubrey's 2-lb loss in 30 days and then her excuses made me crazy. But thank you Bob and Jillian for trashing those excuses! They made me want to stand up and cheer. But, then we get the scenes with Aubrey on the bike and Jillian talking to her. She asks Aubrey how much time she spent in the gym. Aubrey says 4-5 hours a day. Jillian asks her why she didn't lose more, and Aubrey says it's the food. So, here's the perfect lead-in for Jillian to actually talk about what to eat and about the fact that 70-80% of weight loss comes from what we eat rather than how much exercise we get. And what's Jillian's response? "Aubrey needs to learn to ask for help." Say what? Not, "okay, tell me what you've been eating." Not, "let's discuss what you should be eating." None of that. Just, "Aubrey needs to learn to ask for help." Lame!

Marilyn
    I find it very hard to believe that Aubrey was in gym 4-5 hours a day. I think she meant 4-5 hours a week. That and totally not doing the food would explain the 2 lbs weight loss in 30 days.

I totally agree that diet is 80% behind successful weight loss. Exercise just helps excelerate the process and maintains what ever muscle mass the contestents have.

This would have been a perfect opportunity for a scene showing Aubrey how to prepare her food and show us the viewing audience. I do wish they would do this occasionally.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 02-04-2009 at 01:09 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

[QUOTE=MomAt40Pls;3303530;] But I also cannot defend Carla's behavior toward Joelle. It's one thing to confront someone. It's yet another to constantly berate that person. My opinion, based solely on what they showed between the two of them, is that Carla is a bully.

I don't agree that Carla is a bully, we don't know, but if she was the one who applied for this life-altering opportunity, and talked Joelle into joining her, and sacrificed due to the decision they had to make - I'd be mightilly pissed off and want to try to wake my friend UP. To help her realize that it's my life on the line TOO.

I know lots of people like the Brown team, but the dad keeps pulling low numbers. He keeps harping on the fact that he's working hard in the gym. But I want to know what he's eating. He should be losing more weight if he is eating right. The dad's impassioned pleas for his son are getting a little old with me.

OLD for me too! The dad had a gastric bypass, which should give him the advantage eventhough it didn't initially work - so he should be pulling big numbers. He does need to figure out the eating part of it - I'll bet he's not eating enough (due to the malabsorption result of a bypass), and Bob may not realize this?

I whole heartedly agree that they NEED to show us more about what to eat when doing that much exercise - especially with Aubrey as a prime example, there are so many ways they can work this in (with or without the product endorsements).

Nancy

CCL

First off, MomAt40Pls, excellent post about Joelle and Carla.

I know lots of people like the Brown team, but the dad keeps pulling low numbers. He keeps harping on the fact that he's working hard in the gym. But I want to know what he's eating. He should be losing more weight if he is eating right. If they are below the line again next week, I see them being the next to go. The dad's impassioned pleas for his son are getting a little old with me. If he's so concerned about his son staying there, he needs to start figuring out why he's not losing as much weight as the others on a consistent basis.
    I can think of two reasons why Ron has been slower at losing weight. 1) His age. People typically lose at a slower rate the older they get. I believe Ron is the oldest person on campus. 2) His poor health. Didn't Mike say something about his Dad having problems with his knees? Maybe he hasn't been able to give in the gym as much as the others.
    That said, I do think the brown team are in trouble if they land in the bottom 2 again. They've managed to scrape by two times now. And purple seems to be consistently near the bottom (they were third from last this week) so I can see them possibly being in trouble soon, too.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by babymay;3303676 View Post
    I am hoping that Carla and/or Dan have the chance to return to the ranch.
    I agree!! Last night my hubby and I said that they should Carla and Dan come back as a team since they both had partners who didn't care about being there.

Marilyn
    My husband and I had a long discussion about Aubrey's crap that came spilling ot of her mouth and we have pretty much determined she was flat-out lying. Here is the break-down (estimations, but they are good ones):
    *For a woman her size, depending on the exercise, she would burn circa 500-900 calories/hour doing cardio. When you do cardio (any given time) you burn calories and increase your metabolism (experts are currently arguing over how long the boost lasts and if endurance training or spurt training is better). The point here is that the body is burning calories and fat. I had a friend who just did cardio for 40 minutes a day, ate like a horse, and lost 20 pounds. So, whatever the experts decide, cardio does work.
    *More importantly, you can at least double that metabolic rate increase when you work on building muscle, i.e. strength/resistance training for muscle bulding (most agree on 48 hours worth of an increase).
    *Now--Yes, muscle does weigh more than fat but when you build muscle your body literally turns into a fat-burning machine--eating the fat up!
    * On average, a person should take in about 2000 calories/day and cut back a bit if you want to lose weight. Without any exercise if you cut back calories (from your average) by eating lean proteins, grains etc (like another poster mentioned they did-DIET ALONE) you WILL LOSE WEIGHT!
    *So, lets look at Aubrey, who claimed she worked out 4-5 hours/day. That would mean, if she was just doing cardio, that at the very least she would have knocked out 2,000 cals (AT THE VERY LEAST!) So, even if she was taking in 3,000 calories those other thousand would easily be burned during her daily activities (I mean hey, you are burning calories just walking to your car) and she would have lost more than 2 pounds--BUT WAIT!!!
    * Aubrey claimed she was focusing on muscle building and working on endurance training. That was her excuse she gave on the scale and both Jillian and Bob knew it was crap. Why? Because, that would mean, overall, that her body would have been in overtime burning fat (if she was truly building muscle). That is why we always see Jillian and Bob making the contestants lift weights and do strength training, it speeds everything up and allows those on the ranch to literally lose 2-5% of their body weight each week. And, like I said, muscle does weigh more than fat, but Aubrey has far from reached the point where her body (a lean, trim one) would make that transition (you usually have to lose most of the fat on your body before you start gaining weight due to muscle mass). So, to reiterate, as Jillian said, no way!

And, if you are wondering how I know about all this craziness my husband is a Health and Phys. Ed Professor and a former collegiate athlete. I am a runner and have worked with personal trainers (and kudos to Jillian who called crap trainers out for giving clients excuses about why they are not losing weight!) so I am lucky enough to be surrounded by people who know the science and stuff behind the work.

So, in all, Aubrey you are full of crap and a vile human being for rudely calling out Joelle (and I dont like Joelle either but that was just uncalled for) when you are lazy and a liar! I officially do not like the yellow team! Whining, complaining, and being a hypocrite=not good. In fact, as much as I hate it, I am pulling for Bob this year (and Jillian is my favorite) because he is training the Blue team (and I love those guys, no excuses, nice, and proved their dedication by losing the weight at home too).

Boo to Aubrey and yay for the Blue Team!

Closed Thread