Closed Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 1/27 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fan

Re: 1/27 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by CupidGuest;3291437;
    Did Shanon tell her mother that she was in jail for a few hours? LOL
    She might have because she did get arrested a few weeks back because she threw flour in the face of one of her tenents, but the timing is off because I read about her getting arrested only a few weeks ago. Maybe she is a chronic jail bird. Personally I don't like this team and I'm not sure why- they both just bug me.

Hi there. Water loaded. I have heard people talking about this but never really understood what it meant?

so they drink a lot of water before the weight in?

To be honest I was glad they voted the orange team off and that the silver team was not in the bottom 2.
    I am very curious to see how Carla will act in the group and how they will behave towards her.

Dan was not working as much as he could have, he was in the bottom 2 last week as well and the other guy , his friend who stayed home, well we all knew he did not do much exercise and ate a lot.

Yes it is true that dad and son would probably have it easier dieting outside the ranch but I never like that reason to "evict" someone.
    so if you are weak you are allowed to stay but if you are fighting they say "Oh he/she can do it at home"?

This show was indeed cheesy as usual. Too bad cause the first 3 episodes were less cheesy than normal.

Not sure what to think of the green girl. I do know she will lose the weight and will be thin in a few months.

FORT Fan

Here are my comments on the show and on what others here have said in no particular order:

Dave and Dan going home didn't surprise me nor did their respective results. When Dave talked about being "trapped" at the ranch, I think he meant that they are very isolated. They don't have TV, internet or cell phones. They are very sheltered, and I think that would be a very hard thing to live with. Even if you know and understand before you get into it that it's going to be that way, it's going to be hard to prepare mentally for the reality of it. My personal feeling is that Dave's heart was never really into losing weight. I think he went on the show to help out Dan, who clearly has a lot of determination. I don't know them, so I could be completely off base with this, but my impression from the very first was that Dan was very committed and Dave came along because Dan needed a partner to get onto the show.

I absolutely adore Tara! It's because of her determination and spirit that I like her. Does she NEED the ranch? Well, I probably sound like a broken record here, but NO ONE NEEDS the ranch to lose weight. Does it help some people get started? Sure. But anyone who wants to lose weight and is willing to work at it can lose weight. There's not some magic that happens on the ranch that enables people to suddenly lose weight. The people who do well at the ranch do so because they WORK at it. I love the show, but I hate the way it fosters the belief that people can't lose weight at home. That's one of the reasons I loved the twist this season. I'm hoping that when we see the weigh-in's of those sent home the first week, we'll see that many of them (maybe even most of them) have lost weight at home.

When Shannon got back to the ranch (after being at home for a month), she hadn't been arrested yet. The show started filming in September. The incident that led to her arrest happened in December and the actual arrest happened in January. So there was nothing to tell her mother when she arrived back at the ranch.

I would love it if this show would focus more on the food aspect of losing weight. I always enjoy the shows where they have a guest chef who shows them how to cook their favorite foods in a more healthy way. The chicken kabobs on the rosemary skewers looked interesting, but I'd have to come up with a different sauce. I hate honey-mustard. If you want to see the recipes from this show, you can find them here.

I know that many seem to suspect water loading whenever a contestant has immunity in a particular week, but I don't believe that a low number in an immunity week is clear evidence that water loading occurred. In Tara's case, she had immunity in Week 2 and in Week 3. Yes, her loss in Week 2 was only 1 pound, but that could just as easily have been an evening out that occurs frequently in Week 2 after a big loss in Week 1. She lost 21 lbs in Week 1, so a much smaller loss would normally be expected in Week 2. Also, she had immunity in Week 3, yet she lost 8 lbs. As for Helen, she lost the same number in both Weeks 3 and 4. She had immunity in Week 4, so I can't see any evidence that she played any games. But, for the record, I see nothing wrong with trying to win the money. It is a competition, after all.

I know it is not quite fair (and it makes me mad too!) but if I won immunity I am pretty sure that I would water-load (it is a game, after all).

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3296816;
    I know it is not quite fair (and it makes me mad too!) but if I won immunity I am pretty sure that I would water-load (it is a game, after all).
    I don't understand the advantage of water loading? This is only my 2nd season and I understand that Ed did it last season to keep his wife in the game but other than that, I don't see the advantage.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

FORT Regular

on weeks you have immunity, you waterload, that way next week when you dont have immunity, its like 2 weeks of weightloss. sounds pretty straight foward to me

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3297236;
    I don't understand the advantage of water loading? This is only my 2nd season and I understand that Ed did it last season to keep his wife in the game but other than that, I don't see the advantage.
    HEY! I was a bit confused at first too:
    so, say you weighed 200 last weigh in and you have immunity that week. Let's see you actually lost 5 lbs. that week. But, before you go weigh in you drink as much water as possible (and the body can hold quite a bit!). So, instead of weighing 195 that week, you actually weigh in at 198 (3 extra pounds in water weight, which you easily get rid of (peeing, sweating)). That means next week your starting weight is 198 instead of 195, the three pounds are an extra cushion (a give-me, if you will).
    So, say you lose 5 lbs. the next week too, if you waterloaded the week before your total weight loss (for the week) would technically read as -8 instead of -5, because your starting weight would be 198, instead of 195.

Contestants have done this in the past, even water-loading to such an extent that they actually put on weight from week to week.. then the next week they have a huge loss because it is actually how much weight they really lost in 2 weeks.

Hope this helps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3296816;

Absolutely! It is game and it also benefits your health to stay at the ranch as long as you can. Water loading helps on both counts. It is all about surviving one more week.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang03gt;3297626;
    on weeks you have immunity, you waterload, that way next week when you dont have immunity, its like 2 weeks of weightloss. sounds pretty straight foward to me
    That doesn't sound very straightforward to me. mindy384 answer was a little more clear but I still didn't fully understand how it's an advantage. It just seems stupid and risky to me. It's not that important to me to understand but I kept seeing it mentioned here so I thought I'd ask the question.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

FORT Regular

Sorry if you took that the wrong way, I didnt mean to make it sound rude.

Closed Thread