+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Jillian Michaels - trainer

Re: Jillian Michaels - trainer

She posted on her FB status late yesterday about this. Let me see if I can get there through my cell......

Can't find it now...sorry....but in a nutshell she said that she loves kids and it isn't that she doesn't want any...it's that she has had body image issues since she was little and she'd rather adopt.

I think adoption is wonderful as there are so many kids out there that need adopting but I can't imagine not having my own either. I have body image issues but it is so worth having unconditional love every morning and the kisses and the hugs and everything else.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;3884049;
    She posted on her FB status late yesterday about this. Let me see if I can get there through my cell......

Can't find it now...sorry....but in a nutshell she said that she loves kids and it isn't that she doesn't want any...it's that she has had body image issues since she was little and she'd rather adopt.

I think adoption is wonderful as there are so many kids out there that need adopting but I can't imagine not having my own either. I have body image issues but it is so worth having unconditional love every morning and the kisses and the hugs and everything else.

See, there is a different (although obviously less popular) viewpoint shared by many regarding not birthing your own children.

1 - being pregnant DOES change your body, mostly for the worse, and I don't see anything wrong with choosing not to undergo that transformation. A lot of women feel that they HAVE to have children. There is a lot of societal pressure to have your own babies and I feel as though that is unfortunate. It probably leads to a lot of children being born that aren't as wanted and loved as they should be.

Personally, if I birthed a child and it made by breasts bigger and then saggy, left me with stretch marks, any scars, or weight gain I would actually hold some resentment towards the child for that. It is extremely unpopular to admit that, but I think it is an honest part of post-partum depression that people should be allowed to express.

2- For myself and a limited number of others, (and I know most people disagree with this next comment), a child is not worth those changes.
    I have a very fit and athletic body. If something happened to change that, I would feel badly about myself. Perhaps that's selfish, but it's honest.

I have no body issues, and I have no insecurities. I'm not perfect, just like everyone else, but I'm very happy with who I am and what I look like. I'm not interested in changing that for anyone else; not a boy, not a baby, not 100 million dollars. I'm very content the way I am.

It's kind of like how some people would live in a cardboard box to be able to afford a baby to love them, while others would rather live comfortably and not sacrifice enough to have a baby.

There are all sorts of valid reasons to choose not to have a baby, and I don't think that makes anyone unqualified to personally train others. I'm sure Jillian isn't trying to push other people to make her same decision.

As far as Jillian considering overweight people to not be in a good place mentally, I think she's 100% right! It's not healthy to be overweight, it shortens your lifespan! Being unhappy or depressed when you are unhealthy is what motivates you to make positive changes - that's just self preservation!! This new attitude that you should be happy with yourself no matter what your size is really hurting people out there. It's probably partly why there is a big problem in North America with obesity!!!

It's publically acceptable to heckle smokers about how they are making unhealthy choices that are shortening their lives, and I completely think that it should be ok to do the same thing for people with a food addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimbo;3884166;

As far as Jillian considering overweight people to not be in a good place mentally, I think she's 100% right! It's not healthy to be overweight, it shortens your lifespan! Being unhappy or depressed when you are unhealthy is what motivates you to make positive changes - that's just self preservation!! This new attitude that you should be happy with yourself no matter what your size is really hurting people out there. It's probably partly why there is a big problem in North America with obesity!!!

It's publically acceptable to heckle smokers about how they are making unhealthy choices that are shortening their lives, and I completely think that it should be ok to do the same thing for people with a food addiction.
    I agree with you pretty much as far as JIllian/pregnancy her choice. And overweight and having issues. About the only thing I disagree with is the overweight and heckling part of it. Trust me fat people get all kinds of judgments placed on them every single day by the general public. I am a former smoker and current fatty working on my issues and have to say the fat part of it is much worse than anything I ever got while being a smoker. A smoker can SOMEWHAT hide their addiction, a overweight person cannot.

PLUS quitting smoking is very much a black/white issue that once you quit you don't have to deal with it again unless you want too. But food? we have to eat in order to live..so all those issues must be dealt with or else they'll rear their ugly heads down the road. Isn't there like a 95% rate of failure with weight loss?
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm not sure castigating either smokers or fat people helps them. It's not as if smokers and fat people don't know that those issues are bad for their health. I can see telling a smoker you live with that it can't take place in the house...after all, 2nd hand smoke is bad for YOU....or that you don't like kissing someone who has been smoking (because it really smells bad)...those have to do with how it affects YOU. But what someone else eats doesn't really affect YOU unless they are literally eating you out of house and home... or if their job in the family dynamic is cook and they are refusing to cook healthy food... short of that leave them alone. Yes, it will make yu sad if they die early, but that's a very distant effect--it's not affecting YOU right now. Anyone who tries to diet or quit smoking for OTHER people isn't doing it for the "right" reasons, by which I mean that they are unlikely to be able to stick with permanent changes in their lives. It's hard enough when you are doing it for yourself. Plus if you make people miserable by nagging them and calling them names they are likely to turn to good sources of brain altering chemicals, like food (or tobacco), to get happy again.
    Re Jillian....and the poster above who thought she would resent the baby for changes in her body... my opinion (not that that matters to you!) is that you shouldn't go through pregnancy. I could tell you I think you are both wrong, that any changes are worth it, and frankly don't seem very important compared to your relationship with the baby and the whole amazing experience of growing and feeding with your body another person, but you and Jillian know yourselves best, and I"d hate to guess wrong and have a baby suffer. And it isn't as if there aren't plenty of babies in the world who need homes if you/she want to make those other (VERY) extensive changes in your life that come with parenting. I doubt that Jillian's opinion will influence anyone who wasn't already thinking that way anyway, and as re the smokers and fat people....it's her body to do with as she wants.
    I'd be sad if that would get her kicked off the show.

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;3884049;
    She posted on her FB status late yesterday about this.
    Jillian Michaels | Facebook
    There is a misunderstanding circulating in the press on my personal choice to not get pregnant. I think that pregnancy is admirable and selfless. For myself, I have remnant body issues left over from childhood which leads me to make adoption my personal choice down the road.
    Jillian Michaels | Facebook
    I appreciate all the support on here and while I know I don't have to justify my position it is necessary to clarify it. I NEVER said I was anti pregnancy or that pregnancy ruins a body. I said that "I can't put my body through it". There are emotional issues and physical LIMITATIONS that have resulted in that conclu...sion - some I have discussed publicly and some I haven't.

I think in general, Jillian has been pretty upfront about the weight issues she faced as a child, and the image issues surrounding that, so she's exactly the person you'd want doing the Biggest Loser: someone who has been there and gotten through it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Also, in J's favor given her own feelings about pregnancy, it seems to me there have been people on the show in the past whose goal was to lose weight just so that they could safely get pregnant. There was never any hint that she said things like, WHAT? And ruin all the work I put into perfecting your body? She definitely seemed on board with people making their own choices.

I'll echo here pretty much what I said on Facebook - women have the right to choose, and that right includes the right to choose parenthood or adoption. Period.

It's not the politically correct thing for her to say, but maybe it's not a bad idea getting it out in the open. It's kind of a forbidden subject, not wanting to become pregnant because of the physical toll. I'm only sorry that Jillian feels the need to clarify her stand. Her body is her livelihood, and if she doesn't care to chance the possible results of a pregnancy then it's quite understandable. I love my kids - they are my everything and I have not regretted having them for one second, even as I mourn my stretch marks - but I would defend to the death a woman's right to choose not to have her own, regardless of the reasons.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Newbie

I really think the rational discussion here is great.
    So many women agreeing that it's every woman's right to give birth, adopt, or go childless all without judgement is wonderful.

Also, everyone is right of course in the smokers vs. obesity comparison. "Heckling" was definately too strong a word there. The right word is hard to find. What I mean to get across is that the idea everyone should be happy in their bodies "whatever" size it is might to more harm than good to some individuals. It's a good idea to a point but if a person is unhealthy due to his/her size, they should have negative feelings about their body, realize something is wrong, and be motivated to do something about it. If anyone has seen this 600lb woman who's actively trying to get to 1,000lbs, it's obvious that in some cases it's grossly misused.

Good for Jillian for clarifying but not going too far to defend her decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3885168;
    I think in general, Jillian has been pretty upfront about the weight issues she faced as a child, and the image issues surrounding that, so she's exactly the person you'd want doing the Biggest Loser: someone who has been there and gotten through it.
    Oh! I agree and I don't fault her for not wanting to carry a baby. That is her choice, which I may not understand but it is still her choice. There are so many babies and kids in foster homes that need adopting and I think it's awesome if one chooses to adopt. My previous post didn't come out right and I apologize. She is my favorite trainer on this show and I would hate for her to not return.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

+ Reply to Thread