+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Ron & Mike : Father & Son

Re: Ron & Mike : Father & Son

I had posted this in the 4/14 site, but realize it should have been posted here:

I just found this on ali's blog on the officials site. It was a few weeks ago, after the cotnestants went home.-
    "I hope that Max was inspired by Mike’s success. Mike told me that he helped Max quit his job at a fast food restaurant (which is where Mike used to work, with too much access to all that crap food) and put him on a fitness plan. So I am so hopeful to see Max on the right track at the finale!"

I hope that Max has taken what his brother has given him and used it.
    Judging by his reaction the other night, I do not think he has. Quitting his job was a good first step though.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by babymay;3417345;
    I had posted this in the 4/14 site, but realize it should have been posted here:

I just found this on ali's blog on the officials site. [B]It was a few weeks ago[/B], after the cotnestants went home.-
    "I hope that Max was inspired by Mike’s success. Mike told me that he helped Max quit his job at a fast food restaurant (which is where Mike used to work, with too much access to all that crap food) and put him on a fitness plan. So I am so hopeful to see Max on the right track at the finale!"

Judging by his reaction the other night, I do not think he has. Quitting his job was a good first step though.
    I'm not following your logic here... if he quit his job AFTER Mikey went home then he might well be doing other things as well. The reaction you refer to was from BEFORE Mikey went home--Mike's still on the show.
    Re Mikey's makeover...it did help (the hair) to see that cheekbones are starting to show...soon he won't have that babyface any more and we'll all start calling him Mike instead of Mikey!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by babymay;3417345;

I just found this on ali's blog on the officials site. It was a few weeks ago, after the cotnestants went home.-

Max got a glimpse of things to come when they did a short visit home earlier in the season. That would have been the time for Max to gather his wits and start a program on his own. FF to the make over episode and Max was the same tearful boy, envious of his brothers success. I think we will hear he has started a healthy diet and exercise program but he would have to have been doing that for quite awhile to see a change.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Ah, got it, thanks!

I hope that one of these men makes to the end and is declared the BL. I like Ron for being a good father who also is losing the weight, yet will do anything to promote his son further in the game.

I like Mike for being who he is. He's becoming quite the catch and I wish him well in his life.

And mostly, I hope they do help Max lose the weight. That would be a true testimony to what they've learned on the ranch and what they've learned about about each other.

There is still something in this family's dynamic that bothers me. It came out in last night's show that the mom had a weight problem until a few years ago. Then she finally got fed up and lost the weight. AGain, I say, why did she not help, no INSIST on helping her sons lose the weight at that time!!??? She seems a little head in the sand for my liking! She and Ron are the adults in the family, they should have tried harder, IMO.
    Like Jillian said to Mike....they are the parents, you were a CHILD. Ultimately, they have to accept much fault and blame for the shape these boys are in!

I know many don't agree with me on this...but just had to re-state my opinion.

That being said...Mike for the win!

I am guessing when Ron had his gastric bypass, mom did too, but was able to actually work and keep the weight off. Even with the surgery a person has to exercise and diet. My ex had one and gained a lot back (after our divorce)
    There's no place like home!

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by diluvlabs;3421994;
    There is still something in this family's dynamic that bothers me. It came out in last night's show that the mom had a weight problem until a few years ago. Then she finally got fed up and lost the weight. AGain, I say, why did she not help, no INSIST on helping her sons lose the weight at that time!!??? She seems a little head in the sand for my liking! She and Ron are the adults in the family, they should have tried harder, IMO.
    Like Jillian said to Mike....they are the parents, you were a CHILD. Ultimately, they have to accept much fault and blame for the shape these boys are in!

I know many don't agree with me on this...but just had to re-state my opinion.

That being said...Mike for the win!
    I'm torn on this. My first reaction, especially as a mom, is that I would try *something* anything. I would only keep healthy food around that house, make absolutley nothing else available. Sure, they could have their own money to spend on, especially with Max working at a fast food place, but it would help. There is only so much you can do, but you can try and I'd guess controlling what is at home would have had at least some better results. Also, the exercise aspect. Family hikes, walks, at least household chores to get them moving. Again, something.

BUT on the other hand, I know it's not that easy. I had a friend in high school whose mother was extremely concerned about her weight. She was on Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig or something. I remember she'd have to go get weighed in order to have permission to go out on the weekend. To the fraction of the pound her privelges were tied. When we went away to college she ballooned up very soon after... You can teach and teach and teach and it will not always work.

Also, as a mother, kids can use food as a weapon very, very young. Now, my kids are on the opposite side, almost underweight, so it's very, very hard getting healthy food in them, they'll just not eat. And you can't force them to eat. It's very frustrating and worrisome when they are playing mind games (when young and unreasonable, ha!) and you are worried about their health, or other issues or are teaching them other things like schoolwork, table manners, etc. I don't know, I'm just saying that parenting isn't easy, it surely isn't as easy as you think it is until you are there, so I sympathize!

Not that it's an excuse not to try, I just think we don't know how much the mother did try, but it doesn't always work, especially if you have another parent not going along with what you are doing...

You know the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." You can't make anybody lose weight. They have to want it bad enough. That's how I see this family.

Quote Originally Posted by gauc_girl;3422413;
    I'm torn on this. My first reaction, especially as a mom, is that I would try *something* anything. I would only keep healthy food around that house, make absolutley nothing else available. Sure, they could have their own money to spend on, especially with Max working at a fast food place, but it would help. There is only so much you can do, but you can try and I'd guess controlling what is at home would have had at least some better results. Also, the exercise aspect. Family hikes, walks, at least household chores to get them moving. Again, something.

BUT on the other hand, I know it's not that easy. I had a friend in high school whose mother was extremely concerned about her weight. She was on Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig or something. I remember she'd have to go get weighed in order to have permission to go out on the weekend. To the fraction of the pound her privelges were tied. When we went away to college she ballooned up very soon after... You can teach and teach and teach and it will not always work.

Also, as a mother, kids can use food as a weapon very, very young. Now, my kids are on the opposite side, almost underweight, so it's very, very hard getting healthy food in them, they'll just not eat. And you can't force them to eat. It's very frustrating and worrisome when they are playing mind games (when young and unreasonable, ha!) and you are worried about their health, or other issues or are teaching them other things like schoolwork, table manners, etc. I don't know, I'm just saying that parenting isn't easy, it surely isn't as easy as you think it is until you are there, so I sympathize!

Not that it's an excuse not to try, I just think we don't know how much the mother did try, but it doesn't always work, especially if you have another parent not going along with what you are doing...

+ Reply to Thread