+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Testament to how hard it is to keep it off!

FORT Newbie

Re: A Testament to how hard it is to keep it off!

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3246807;
    I have a border collie. He has energy galore. He'd rather do most anything other than eat, e.g. chase after squirrels, bark at dogs walking by, etc.
    Me too! And I am in awe of him and his metabolism! He is an amazing self-regulator. If he's not getting alot of exercise, he doesn't eat. Wish *I* could be like that!

I also agree about different people and body types, even within the same family. I have a friend who has 2 daughters, as different as night and day, and one struggles terribly with her weight. She really does have to exercise twice as much and eat half as much to maintain her weight. The old formula of calories in/ calories spent does work, but I believe IMHO some people have to work a whole lot harder to get their body to respond to that formula and that their body will fight their efforts with lower energy levels, increased hunger, etc. It is a long, hard road, that's for sure!

A few observations:

Dogs: A friend of mine had two dogs and one is obsese and the other skinny. The skinny one is a high energy dog, always wriggly when he is around you. It was as if he was burning off the calories as you watched he was in such constant motion.

Keeping it off: I have always had an incredibly hard time loosing weight but was able to maintain what I had lost for yrs. I always envied those who said taking it off was so easy it, it just melted off.

I do know that the US gov keeps track of people who have lost weight and been able to maintain it and it all goes to making a permanent lifestyle change in food and activity. The majority of successful dieters keep a 5lb margin in mind when they weight themselves. If their current weight is 5lbs over where it should be they really watch the amount of food they eat and make sure they are getting their daily activity.

I know several friends who have successfully lost weight and kept it off. One lost 140lbs and the other two 70lbs each. The one who lost 140lbs has kept it off for over 8 yrs and the 70lbs'ers have kept it off for over 3yrs. How do they do it. They weight and measure all their food. Put it in containers and they know exactly what they are having for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Also no sugar and no white flour. I also know that they have a support group they belong to and that they also meditate and try to find the underlying issues as to why they overate. They approached the problem from a mental, physical and spiritual aspect. What is amazing is that they did it without incorporating physical activity. I know before I get hammered about the lack of activity was that initially the idea of the program they are on was to put a stop to out of control eating and once you reach your goal weight you can start including other activities.

In one sense I think Biggest Loser is an amazing show. But the contestents have 20 or 30 yrs of very bad eating habits to overcome. While on the ranch they have this incredible 24/7 support system. They have a chance to learn how to work out and how to prepare their food. But is that enough? Do they work on why they overeat? What are their stressors? Do they late night eat? Are they emotional eaters? These issues need to be addressed and a method developed for the individual to recognize they what they are doing and how to stop it. This is not easy and being on national reality tv show which is a competition for money is perphaps not the key to keeping the weight off permanently. If you look as some of the competitors who are voted of very early they never lose more then what they did the ranch.

I do wish the producers of Biggest Loser would have a reunion show of all the seasons to see where everyone is know. Some I know probably have kept all the weight off and I hate to think that others have gained it all back but I think some have.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3247376;
    I do know that the US gov keeps track of people who have lost weight and been able to maintain it and it all goes to making a permanent lifestyle change in food and activity.
    THIS is Ali Vincent (and a few others who don't get the same kind of press).

A few observations:

In one sense I think Biggest Loser is an amazing show. But the contestents have 20 or 30 yrs of very bad eating habits to overcome. While on the ranch they have this incredible 24/7 support system. They have a chance to learn how to work out and how to prepare their food. But is that enough? Do they work on why they overeat? What are their stressors? Do they late night eat? Are they emotional eaters? These issues need to be addressed and a method developed for the individual to recognize they what they are doing and how to stop it. This is not easy and being on national reality tv show which is a competition for money is perphaps not the key to keeping the weight off permanently. If you look as some of the competitors who are voted of very early they never lose more then what they did the ranch.
    I think that Jillian does a great job of this. She has always made a point of trying to unlock the issues. She even had her mom come in and provide counseling for her team. Bob and his team thought it was a waste of time.

I think there has to be something to it though. Bob's only win was the one season Jillian sat out.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

FORT Newbie

I do wish the producers of Biggest Loser would have a reunion show of all the seasons to see where everyone is know. Some I know probably have kept all the weight off and I hate to think that others have gained it all back but I think some have.
    That would be great, because it would enable the contestants who had made successful transitions back to "real life" to share the things that worked for them. Life on the ranch is a bit unrealistic, with 6+ hours a day of exercising, no real life stresses, schedules and challenges.

I lost track when I ignored that 5 lb margin I'd operated within for 3 years. It's a good guideline to hold onto because 5 lbs doesn't seem overwhelming and you can stop yourself before things go too far. IF you stop yourself.

My problem was I became less active and did start to have a couple of glasses of wine a few nights a week. It's amazing how many calories are in alcohol and if you eat on top of that, well, there you go!
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fogey

A few observations:
    I do know that the US gov keeps track of people who have lost weight and been able to maintain it and it all goes to making a permanent lifestyle change in food and activity. The majority of successful dieters keep a 5lb margin in mind when they weight themselves. If their current weight is 5lbs over where it should be they really watch the amount of food they eat and make sure they are getting their daily activity.
    What is amazing is that they did it without incorporating physical activity. I know before I get hammered about the lack of activity was that initially the idea of the program they are on was to put a stop to out of control eating and once you reach your goal weight you can start including other activities.

Losing weight is 70% diet and 30% exercise. Exercise is for heath and should not be used to burn calories as the major reason. Exercise bullimia is as much a problem as annorexia. It is no wonder so many regain a good portion of their weight. No one can or should exercise this much. Your metabolism adjusts to your activity level along with calorie consumption.

Weight is also tied to genetics. I believe that somewhere down the line it will be discovered that obesity is not an emotional issue but rather a hormone problem. Those who are obese and do not have a family history have skewed their chemistry by life style in some way. I believe those who battle weight are really battling hunger which is a hormone regulated function.

Interesting that we are not the worlds fattest country. Below is a list from Forbes magazine. For the complete list of the top 50- World's Fattest Countries - Forbes.com

Rank Country %
    1. Nauru 94.5
    2. Micronesia, Federated States of 91.1
    3. Cook Islands 90.9
    4. Tonga 90.8
    5. Niue 81.7
    6. Samoa 80.4
    7. Palau 78.4
    8. Kuwait 74.2
    9. United States 74.1

It is hard for me to believe the Island countries, known for their very round bodies, all suffer from emotional eating. Some of it is cultural, to be sure, but weight is a huge problem for natives of Hawaii as well. Their culture is closer to ours.

In an interview with Ali we saw that she still weighs and measures everything that goes into her body and what she eats is extremely limited and austere.

A friend of mine who is tiny eats a lot by comparison and she gives no thought to calorie content. I watch her. Her hunger is satisfied easliy. Her brain gets the message that her hunger is sated long before those who battle weight.

I don't think Biggest Loser will ever host a reunion. It would be difficult to fill a show with those who have maintained their loss because I don't believe many can. I bet a lot are way down from when they began the show but much higher than their finishing weight. It would undermine their show to admit that their efforts are not really all that successful.

Last edited by shoepie; 12-12-2008 at 07:19 AM.

my dog asks, "Got Milk?" MidwestMama's Avatar

You're all having an interesting discussion! I agree with many of the points made here, esp. that there are body types with different metabolisms/energy levels just as seen in dogs. But I have a beef with people making too much of the "it's genetic" reasoning. And I consider myself to be a low-energy person, but I've stayed relatively thin and lost weight when I had to (like after each of my babies).

America's population used to be thinner. A change has happened here, it can't be denied. I think its 2-3 main things:

One, fast food and processed food became more widely available and acceptable (i.e. it's in the schools MUCH more than it was when I was a kid; I'm 37). Cooking from scratch with whole foods is the rarity whereas it was the norm for my grandmothers' generation.

The second thing I'm less sure of, but I think I've read how physical activity is less required in schools today. More schools have had to cancel recess and gym classes to make time for the academics. And that can't be helping.

Third, and this may sting, but I don't think it's arguable: there used to be more moms at home, and I think a big key to raising healthy people is having someone set appropriate boundaries to food when children are young! My mom was conscious of what made up nutritious meals and although she allowed desserts and some junk, and she worked 4 nights a week so we had our share frozen dinners, for the most part she SHOWED us children daily what made up a healthy meal. We weren't allowed to snack all day. And the fact that she allowed treats in moderation has helped too, as it's not all-or-nothing.

When I'm with families today, it seems like the norm is for children to help themselves to junk food ALL DAY LONG. There's no sense of asking permission. And the parents seem to have no idea why their children are overweight. I think those parents didn't learn from their own parents what healthy boundaries w/ food are, and so they see how they've been obese all their lives. and their parents and children are obese, so it must be genetic... somewhat, perhaps, but I think it's more of a lifestyle that's been passed down. It's not helping anyone to clasp to the genetic reasoning too closely. Bodies differ but you can't put in all those calories, not move much, and blame it on your bad luck. I'm a mom to five children and I have always been in charge of what they eat, while at the same time explaining about protein, carbs, fiber, calories, fat, sugar, diabetes, exercise, vitamins, etc. As we eat most meals together, they make lots of comments about the ingredients in boxed foods, about the food groups, etc., and my scientific 13yo loves to do calculations based on the nutrition panel info. I think they're getting it. And they love to watch Biggest Loser.
    Last edited by MidwestMama; 12-12-2008 at 09:12 AM.

FORT Fogey

But I have a beef with people making too much of the "it's genetic" reasoning. And I consider myself to be a low-energy person, but I've stayed relatively thin and lost weight when I had to (like after each of my babies).
    I agree totally. My point above, which I did not state clearly, and it is only my theory is about hunger. You can inherit a propensity to have a hormone problem and you can also create one yourself, which has clearly happened in this country. I think research will show that no amount of therapy will help a chemical imbalance in the body. Some eat emotionally, surely, but obesity is blamed on this far too often.

MidwestMama you made some very good points. Growing up I had a regular breakfast, lunch and dinner which my mom made. I don't remember snacking very much at all, except for grocery day. My mom would always buy a big bag of potato chips but my siblings and I would go through it and hardly any would be left for her at all. That was it for the week. I also watched my aunt raise her kids and it was the same thing. They had a garden and she made soup from scratch everyday. The kids had homemade breakfast, lunch and dinner all they way through high school graduation. My aunt lives in Canada and the kids can come home for lunch. All my cousins are slim and I think much of this is because of the habits instilled for the first 18 yrs of their lives. My problems started when I went to college and I had the freedom to eat what I wanted when I wanted. I let my sweet tooth rule and I made some bad decisions. Also at 5'4" and 118lbs I thought I was fat (I blame Seventeen magazine, I grew up with images of these tall thin girls and I thought there was something wrong with me because I didn't look like that) for some reason I was determined to be 110lbs and I have had problems with my weight ever since. Now that I can look back at what I did, if I just had stuck to having 3 meals a day with one or two healthy snacks I would not be having any weight problems now. Also do agree genetics does play a part in it because I inherited a bit of roundness from my grandmother and I do see it in 2 other cousins on my dad's side of the family. Still it is a combination of eating right, exercise and genetics that give you your body. The numbers I have always heard were 80% nutrition, 10% genetics and 10% exercise.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast