Closed Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Vicky -The Biggest Loser: Families

FORT Fogey

Re: Vicky -The Biggest Loser: Families

Quote Originally Posted by realLAgrl;3249352;
    I may get cyber stoned for what i'm about to say, but I kind hope Vicki wins this season. Even though she wasn't that nice, she might be the greatest player ever on biggest loser. She managed to manipulate the game from start to finish and no matter how hard the powers that be tried to get her out of the game, she still managed to hold on and make it all the way to the finale.
    No one cyber stones anyone here. All opinions are welcome.

This isn't Survivor or a game of that kind. It is a competition and she bullied many to get where she is.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3249396;

This isn't Survivor or a game of that kind. It is a competition and she bullied many to get where she is.
    I think that's why Vicky has so few supporters here--game playing and manipulation haven't the point of this show in the past, as they are of so many others. What has made this a popular show are the heartwarming and inspirational sides. If it becomes all about the gaming in an obvious way it will lose its original audience, and I doubt it will gain many new viewers who can see the same behavior on shows with "sexier" contestants.

You know, PWS, that's a great point. Seeing such scheming and manipulation in a show with people that many people stereotypically find "unattractive" just magnifies the stereotype. Some people (most?) need that balance of something to root for... you can't have both inner and outer unattractiveness or the show is rendered unenjoyable.

I don't know if I'm saying it as clearly as I'm thinking it, but your post definitely hit on a very important and interesting point.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3249396;

I think the current structure makes the show very "Survivorish". I know they promote it as a life changing show and say it's about getting healthy, but the tone of the show, with the voting off, team alliances and stuff your face with junk food to win prizes makes me wonder.

I still love the show, but I think game play is a necessary part of the process.
    Last edited by realLAgrl; 12-11-2008 at 06:39 PM.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3249439;
    I think that's why Vicky has so few supporters here--game playing and manipulation haven't the point of this show in the past, as they are of so many others. What has made this a popular show are the heartwarming and inspirational sides. If it becomes all about the gaming in an obvious way it will lose its original audience, and I doubt it will gain many new viewers who can see the same behavior on shows with "sexier" contestants.
    I think game play has always been a part of the show. Remember when Matt gained 25lb in season 2, and Neil and the "water incident" in season 4.

Amy from season four also did a lot of game playing. Remember when she got Bryan to vote for Phil causing a tie, and thenthe blue team voted to send him home?

There was also big game play last season as well when Brittany, Jackie, Maggie, Bernie and Dan threw the weigh in, in an attempt to get the black team out of the game.

I think the difference lies in the personalities of the contestants this season. Had they been nicer people, I don't think it would have made everyone so angry.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3249450;
    You know, PWS, that's a great point. Seeing such scheming and manipulation in a show with people that many people stereotypically find "unattractive" just magnifies the stereotype. Some people (most?) need that balance of something to root for... you can't have both inner and outer unattractiveness or the show is rendered unenjoyable.

I don't know if I'm saying it as clearly as I'm thinking it, but your post definitely hit on a very important and interesting point.
    I think you said it better than I did!

FORT Fogey

There has always been game play in TBL, and there always will be with a $250k prize at the end. It's a paradox though. Without the cash prize and the fame of winning, how many of these people would work as hard as they do to stay in the game?

The show needs something to motivate the players (and therefore to get us to watch). And as inspired as players are to be able to have this great opportunity to lose weight, and as inspired as we are to watch them, very few, if any, would work as hard as they do without the prospect of winning fame and fortune at the end. Not that they wouldn't lose weight or work at doing so, they just wouldn't work as hard or lose as much. Nor would they engage in all the personal drama we see on TBL.

In a way, the cash prize and media attention makes the weight loss almost a secondary objective, but the weight loss is, in theory, the whole point of the show.
    Last edited by Jexter; 12-12-2008 at 09:07 PM.

FORT Fogey

Game play is certainly part of it. Water loading can work for some senarios, choosing a team carefully when that twist happens is key, voting off your biggest threat is smart but do it with integrity. You always have to have an eye on moves that keep you there. However, there is no reason to pin revenge notes on your wall to "get the lying bitch". Work hard to lose weight, base your eliminations on your biggest threat, not your buddy and above all be respectful. I know, I know, take the needle out of my arm.

shoepie, you hit it exactly-no integrity! All I feel for Vicki right now is "naa, naa, naa, naa, boo boo!" You reaped what you sowed!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3249450;

I am now reading this thread for the first time (anything to keep from cleaning house).
    As I read your post it summed up perfectly what I was thinking!
    Last night my VERY opinionated DH remarked that Icky's actions of wanting to stay at the ranch away from her family and then not wanting to get home until bedtime for her children are that of a inner fat B and she will gain the outer weight back.

Closed Thread