Closed Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Vicky -The Biggest Loser: Families

FORT Newbie

Re: Vicky -The Biggest Loser: Families

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3253415;
    I am now reading this thread for the first time (anything to keep from cleaning house).
    As I read your post it summed up perfectly what I was thinking!
    Last night my VERY opinionated DH remarked that Icky's actions of wanting to stay at the ranch away from her family and then not wanting to get home until bedtime for her children are that of a inner fat B and she will gain the outer weight back.
    I didn't think that was what she was saying at all. The pressure she had to be feeling considering all the venom and hatred people have been spewing about her and her family probably put a lot of pressure on her. I think it's unfair to say she doesn't care about her children. Sure she wasn't very nice to people on the show, but does she really deserve to be treated with such contempt?

I always find it interesting that people wish that people gain their weight back. Does that mean being fat is a punishment?

Quote Originally Posted by realLAgrl;3253572;
    I didn't think that was what she was saying at all. The pressure she had to be feeling considering all the venom and hatred people have been spewing about her and her family probably put a lot of pressure on her. I think it's unfair to say she doesn't care about her children. Sure she wasn't very nice to people on the show, but does she really deserve to be treated with such contempt?
    Yes, actually I do think she deserves to be treated with contempt. Not because she's a working mom or has a competitive nature and really wanted to do well at this game, but because she wasted no opportunity to treat other people with contempt.

That old saying, "Pretty is as pretty does"? Vicky is a case of "Ugly is as ugly does." I find it ironic in the extreme that Vicky has chosen a 'helping' profession, where she is charged with helping to heal the sick and vulnerable. Her temperament doesn't match up with her work. I have sympathy for working moms everywhere, including, yes, even Vicky. Looking at her daily schedule made me exhausted--I'm sure I couldn't have maintained that regime for more than 2 days, and I have no children.

I wouldn't presume to question why Vicky's the one who works while Brady stays home; I applaud it if it's using each parent's natural gifts to their full extent to benefit the family. But it doesn't surprise me, given their dynamics on the show that Brady takes the subservient role to his more domineering wife. Does she appreciate just how much he makes her career possible by what he does at home? Let's hope so. I didn't see gobs of evidence that that's so, but we only saw a snippet of their lives.

I don't want anybody to gain their weight back. But even more important than maintaining weight loss is finding self-awareness. Vicky and Brady seem lacking in that very essential quality. Without it, they will not be the best parents or human beings they could be, even if they can fit into smaller clothes. The Biggest Loser really isn't about just being smaller, but being better. I think perhaps with Vicky, bitterness over not winning the prize she's been telling everyone for 3 months that she 'deserved' may just crowd out any possibility of self-reflection. That is contempt-worthy in my book.

Biggest Loser’s Vicky Says She Was Misunderstood
    December 17, 2008

Vicky Vilcan, a nurse from Louisiana, went from 246 lbs. to 145 lbs. on The Biggest Loser: Families, but dropping 41.06 per cent of her body weight wasn’t enough to win the competition. The Biggest Loser title — and the $250,000 prize — went to Michelle Aguilar, a fan favorite, who lost 110 lbs., or 45.45 per cent of her body weight. Although Vicky says she’s still a winner, she also admits she is “so relieved that this show is over.” In fact, Vilcan says, “the show airing has not been kind to myself and my family.” In an interview at the show’s finale Tuesday, Vilcan talked to PEOPLE about being misunderstood on Biggest Loser, what you didn’t see on the show and how she’ll maintain her weight-loss during the holidays. – Rebecca Gross

Does America have the right perception of Vicky?
    America has the absolute correct perception. If I was one of those reality TV people like I was before I got on this show, I’d hate myself too. But they’ve been given the wrong picture. They’ve been given a one-sided story and they have made a judgment based on that.

Why is that?
    It’s both the editing and the game playing. I never lied to anybody. I never smiled when people got on the scale and gained weight. I’m a nurse and I’m kind. Even when I voted Amy off, there were no vindictive feelings because she was one of my best friends there. I was mad when she voted Brady off but everybody is human and everybody gets angry but we had made up. There were just a lot of things that were one-sided that America didn’t get to see.

What’s something that you wish they would have aired?
    I wish that America did see exactly how injured I was. And how I would wake up when everybody was sleeping and work out. And how I would swim four hours a day. I don’t think they ever did show me swim one time on the show. I’m a working mom and I managed to fit it all in and I think that should inspire working women everywhere.

How are you going to maintain your weight-loss?
    I workout an hour every morning and an hour every evening after the kids are asleep. It’s very manageable for me and it empowers me and it gives me confidence.

Any plans to splurge on a big meal now that the show is over?
    Christmas is coming up so I think I’m going to wait until then. At work, everybody is going to bring in a dish and I’m very excited to taste a little of everybody’s food.
    Link

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;3253641;
    Yes, actually I do think she deserves to be treated with contempt. Not because she's a working mom or has a competitive nature and really wanted to do well at this game, but because she wasted no opportunity to treat other people with contempt.

That old saying, "Pretty is as pretty does"? Vicky is a case of "Ugly is as ugly does." I find it ironic in the extreme that Vicky has chosen a 'helping' profession, where she is charged with helping to heal the sick and vulnerable. Her temperament doesn't match up with her work. I have sympathy for working moms everywhere, including, yes, even Vicky. Looking at her daily schedule made me exhausted--I'm sure I couldn't have maintained that regime for more than 2 days, and I have no children.

I wouldn't presume to question why Vicky's the one who works while Brady stays home; I applaud it if it's using each parent's natural gifts to their full extent to benefit the family. But it doesn't surprise me, given their dynamics on the show that Brady takes the subservient role to his more domineering wife. Does she appreciate just how much he makes her career possible by what he does at home? Let's hope so. I didn't see gobs of evidence that that's so, but we only saw a snippet of their lives.

I don't want anybody to gain their weight back. But even more important than maintaining weight loss is finding self-awareness. Vicky and Brady seem lacking in that very essential quality. Without it, they will not be the best parents or human beings they could be, even if they can fit into smaller clothes. The Biggest Loser really isn't about just being smaller, but being better. I think perhaps with Vicky, bitterness over not winning the prize she's been telling everyone for 3 months that she 'deserved' may just crowd out any possibility of self-reflection. That is contempt-worthy in my book.
    I think a lot of your comments are things YOU have projected on to Vicky and Brady just by little snippets of information you've heard. If you look at the Biggest Loser Website, it says Brady is a pharmacist so I don't think he stays at home and even if he did that wouldn't mean Vicky was selfish, or didn't love her children, some women like to work and they have children and they raise them to be happy, healthy productive members of society.

As for the dynamics of their relationship, can you honestly justify what you said? Let's face it two hours of a tv can't give that much information, again I would say you're projecting based on the negative feeling you have towards her. They've been married for 18 years and obviously they are happy together.

As for her temperament not matching up with her work, have you been to a hospital lately? Lots of Doctors and nurses tend to be very arrogant and love to talk down to their patients. Being a medical professional does not require sainthood it's just a job for some just like any other profession.

I have to admit I'm surprised that you feel having contempt for Vicki is okay. How is what you're doing any different than what Vicky did?
    Didn't that kind of behavior make Vicky so hated in everyone's eyes? Part of the problem I had with this season is the bitterness and anger a lot of fans had. I mean shouldn't we rise above that kind of hatred and contempt and be better than that?

While I'm by no means excusing Vicki's behavior, I think it's just as bad to treat her with contempt and then say it's okay because she acted that way first.

As for the biggest loser, it's not about changing lives for everybody, for some it's about playing the game, and for others it's about boosting their careers, and for others it's about pushing themselves. But let's be honest for the producers it's about making millions of dollars off of all the desperate overweight people who dream of being thin.

FORT Fogey

Vicki can cry one-side editing all she wants, and while it may or may not be true, the fact remains she put a sign on her door that spoke of revenge. That wasn't editing, and even if it was the only nasty thing she did, it was enough to make Vicky icky.

Plus, it's curious to me that she crys editing, but when asked what she wished was shown more, she talks about her workouts - not how she was not icky.

The closest she gets is saying she "made up" with people and that everyone behaves unfavorably when when hurt. Vicky doesn't even deny that she was icky.

And....Vicki under estimates the value of being a decent, kind, and forgiving person. It's kind of like IQ vs. EQ. The smartest person in the world won't make it in society if he/she is a jerk. Same rule applies with Vicky. So what if she worked out the longest/hardest on the show. She's a jerk, and it doesn't endure her to others. This in turn, makes her anything but inspiring.

The fact that she doesn't get any of this makes her clueless on top of being a jerk.
    Last edited by Jexter; 12-17-2008 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by realLAgrl;3253740;
    I think a lot of your comments are things YOU have projected on to Vicky and Brady just by little snippets of information you've heard. If you look at the Biggest Loser Website, it says Brady is a pharmacist so I don't think he stays at home and even if he did that wouldn't mean Vicky was selfish, or didn't love her children, some women like to work and they have children and they raise them to be happy, healthy productive members of society.
    They're already having trouble with this one. And to pull your comment from earlier about it being unfair to say that Vicky doesn't care about her children, what else are we to glean from someone who openly admitted to not caring enough about a video from home to put forth any real effort in the comparatively simple task of walking around a balance beam. It's not like she was being asked to hold up 900 lbs of water, do laps up and down a mountain, or anything like that. She had to walk around in circles and the ability to see her kids wasn't worth the effort. What kind of person says that?

And that's before we consider the fact that she allowed her four year old daughter to balloon to 70 lbs.

I have to admit I'm surprised that you feel having contempt for Vicki is okay. How is what you're doing any different than what Vicky did?
    Didn't that kind of behavior make Vicky so hated in everyone's eyes? Part of the problem I had with this season is the bitterness and anger a lot of fans had. I mean shouldn't we rise above that kind of hatred and contempt and be better than that?

While I'm by no means excusing Vicki's behavior, I think it's just as bad to treat her with contempt and then say it's okay because she acted that way first.
    Here's the thing about reality tv in general. If you don't say it, if you don't do it, then they can't use it against you. Vicky might not be thrilled with the way she's been edited, but at the end of the day, she's responsible for her own actions. She's the one who chose to go on this show, she's the one who chose to say the things she said and do the things she did. In doing so, she opened herself up to criticism. If she went into this being so naive as to believe that the producers would show her in her most flattering light, it's her own fault. If you don't give it to them, they can't air it. She may have plenty of other sides to her, but she couldn't control the uglier ones very well.

Her fifteen minutes seem to have come at a price she may or may not have been prepared to pay, but that doesn't mean that the viewing public should be expected to chalk it all up to a couple bad days. Plenty of other contestants have passed through this show without posting revenge notes on their walls, or admitting to spending the week calling a "teammate" a backstabbing bitch. Is it admirable that she lacked the maturity to carry herself in even a moderately respectful and dignified manner on national tv? I say no, and for that, I'm not going to think of her in the same light that I would think of Michelle, for example, or Ed. I'm not going to automatically respect her for the simple fact that she went on a reality tv show. Respect is earned, not blindly granted, and the 20 hours of her behavior that I've seen certainly led me to think less than positively of her.

Vicky has received death threats:

In an interview after the show, Vicky said she was unfairly depicted on the show. While she said the producers could have portrayed her positively as a mother struggling to balance work and family and improve the health of her two children, they chose to portray her as a schemer.

To hear her tell it, it was all camerawork.

She has been so widely reviled that she had to change her phone number because she was receiving death threats, and to this day continues to receive letters telling her what a horrible person she is.

"Most people hate my guts," Vicky said, later adding that perhaps so many people disliked her because she was a determined competitor who knew what she wanted and wasn't about to let anyone stand in her way. "Women need to be strong and they need to use their heads."
    Honestly, it's just a reality show! I don't understand why people have to react so negatively by giving her death threats.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I only cared enough to want her not to win. I don't care how she does in her career, I don't care if her daughter slims up, I don't care how much she is with her children. I can't imagine sending a death threat to anyone, but she wouldn't be worth it in my book.

Top TV Reality Villan: Omarosa or Vicky?

Both claim foul and say they were given unfair edits. Well, they can only edit what you give them.

The Unholy Trio: Omarosa, Vicky and Heba. The thought of that is enough to give you nightmares.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

The editors are editing Vicky's words to make it sound like she has an excuse for everything bad that comes her way.

Closed Thread