+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: 3/25 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Re: 3/25 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2876808;

I think this show is doing MUCH better this season about talking about the realities of losing weight. "Don't cut your food too low or you won't lose weight" has been a major reoccuring theme this season to the extent that I believe the point has gotten across to most viewers. And discussions about the need for carbs, etc. I fully commend them for the education that they have managed to put in... something every single show.
    I think they're doing much better too this season. There seems to be a better balance between entertainment and education. I think entertainment still rightfully outweighs education, but there's definitely more learning involved. If only the product placements didn't get in the way . Though some of them are great like the steamed Ziploc bags!

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2876827;
    I think they're doing much better too this season. There seems to be a better balance between entertainment and education. I think entertainment still rightfully outweighs education, but there's definitely more learning involved. If only the product placements didn't get in the way . Though some of them are great like the steamed Ziploc bags!
    This is my first season watching so I can't make any comparison to this season and previous seasons.

What, you don't love the product placements, canadian_angel? My favourite was when they were working out in the gym and all of a sudden the camera zoomed to a lonely package of Extra gum sitting on a shelf.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

You can always tell what product they're hyping on any given night. They don't even try to hide it. This week was the Oatmeal!

One thing I love about this season and I've noticed it more in every episode is they're actually showing the contestants drinking water. In past seasons I never once saw a contestant drink on screen. I thought it was utterly bizarre. So I'm happy that they're hyping up the importance of water. Like this week with Jillian's tip about drinking enough of it.

The trip to Australia they mentioned managed to confirm for me my suspicion that Bob & Jillian were filming part of the Australian Biggest Loser, that they are also involved in, at the same time as the US one, and the editing has simply been hiding it.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2876984;
    You can always tell what product they're hyping on any given night. They don't even try to hide it. This week was the Oatmeal!
    If Bob's mouth is moving, and nobody is exercising in front of him at the time, he's usually selling something.

I did notice that Jillian has been getting the trainer tips that seem to offend her less this season. I mean she had a tip about WATER this week, and Britta wasn't even a sponsor!

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2877227;
    The trip to Australia they mentioned managed to confirm for me my suspicion that Bob & Jillian were filming part of the Australian Biggest Loser, that they are also involved in, at the same time as the US one, and the editing has simply been hiding it.
    Wow, I had completely forgotten about that. What an excellent point! I wonder how much of the trip was because of this. I'm betting a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2877227;
    If Bob's mouth is moving, and nobody is exercising in front of him at the time, he's usually selling something.

I did notice that Jillian has been getting the trainer tips that seem to offend her less this season. I mean she had a tip about WATER this week, and Britta wasn't even a sponsor!
    Isn't that the truth?!

The producers may assume that they are 'entertaining' me with the convoluted challeges, whether they are food-based or physical. Actually I suffer through the challenges, whatever they are in order to get to the weigh-ins, which is where the true entertainment value lies. As long as I get to see the weigh-in and the elimination, I feel like I've seen the best bits!

I think there is a finite number of interesting challenges to do in this format and they've hit that ceiling some time ago. The challenges are a big fat YAWN to me. This format is tired--we've seen it all before. They started this season with a more interesting concept in the 'couples', but it didn't take very long for them to abandon that in favor of same-old same-old. I kinda doubt I'll be watching the next installment, especially since Bob has revealed himself to be such a weenie underneath the smurfy Zen smiles. It's all bogus. I do applaud HostAli for doing a good job with what she's given, however.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

My favorite type of challenge is the kind where they have to haul around all the weight they've lost. Best of all would be repeating a challenge they did early in the season, say the first week, like a race, and have them redo it with and without the weight on them... to show that even if they'd regained the weight they are still in way better shape than they were when they came. That is, if they came in at 300 lbs. I'm betting they can run faster now if they weigh 240 (of course), but also if they weigh 240 and are carrying 60 lbs. of weights.
    Re sponsors...you mean Britta and whoever makes those water bottles are not sponsors this season? I thought for sure someone was paying for that product placement for those translucent water bottles!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

O.k, I'm a lot late to the party, but do have a few comments.

I have always liked the blue team, but I felt they acted liked pigs at the challenge... it was justice that they were slapped down in the weigh-in.
    I'm not quite getting the Dan hate. I find that his confessional comments (ex. about the bike challenge) are meant to be humourous. Perhaps people aren't getting that and are taking him literally? I also sensed some negative feelings towards Jackie and Dan due to their wealth, which I don't understand either. I admire Dan and Jackie for running the kids program that they run... there aren't enough people out there who are willing to give back to their community like that. I loved Jackie right from the beginning for her competitive spirit and determination to "play" the game, not just hide behind the emotional facades that we see other contestants take advantage of at times.

The blue team has a tendancy to nauseate me sometimes with their commitment to the "boy's club", but I've never found them to have a "ha, ha, we got you" attitude towards the others. Sure, they blow hot air all the time about themselves, but they don't rub it in after someone is voted off. The girls, on the other hand, were the complete opposite. Even though they PROVED time after time that they could beat the boys, they continuously cried that they could never win, had no confidence, and then rejoiced when they did win weigh-ins. We saw many times in the confessionals that they were gloating about kicking out one of the blue guys... which was bs, really. They had already proven many times that they could do it.
    I find the "I'm pretending to be an underdog even though I'm not and then I can act like an ass afterward" attitude to be far more nauseating than a cocky one.

As for the entertainment vs. education debate, I think this show is definitely about making money. Most shows are. I think it's too bad that they promote cooking in plastic, (yuck!), but they ARE doing a great job in INSPIRATION. Even though it's there to make money, if it gets some people off their couches and getting more exercise, I can't fault it completely. I just wish they'd promote glass as a way to cook, and as something to drink out of.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 04-01-2008 at 10:27 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789