+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 102

Thread: 3/4 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

  1. #91
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: 3/4 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;2827605;
    Awwww. I really like Alison Sweeney as the host. I find her much more genuine than the old host and I like the fact that she has struggled with her weight, but has also been successful in controlling it!!!
    I agree. There was a distance and disconnect with Rea. She went through the motions of host but wasn't fully present.

    When will this show end? I agree with those who are growing weary. I am glad they are bringing some contestants back because this group is not catching the viewers hearts or interest much, but they need to step up the pace. Skip the dramatic vote and just off the two below the yellow line!

  2. #92
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    185

    Re: 3/4 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by sheila;2828800;
    Guys, these people have binge eating disorder which is very very difficult to control and cure though not impossible. Neuroplasticity (a new branch of Neurology) has made great strides toward a cure, but it is very difficult, as it is a disease associated with a malfunction of the hypothalamus in their brain. Even contestants who have managed to keep most of the weight off still seem to show symptoms of the disease, since any cure of it will most definitely require literally rewiring the brain. Difficult stuff. The show certainly helps in that it contributes to the re-education of the public that is a big part in any recovery process.

    Sheila
    No eating disorder here. I just ate too much and didn't get any exercise. When I decided to take control of those things, I lost the weight. Was it easy? No. But the decision was mine to eat too much and the decision was mine to stop.

    Marilyn

  3. #93
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: 3/4 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    I cannot begin to get into what these people's lives and food cravings are. It is unfortunate and my heart goes out to all of them. I just joined WW but I only have 20 pounds to lose. That is an entire different ball game. I will probably have that off before the finale since they are bringing contestants back!

  4. #94
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,951

    Re: 3/4 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by sheila;2828800;
    Guys, these people have binge eating disorder which is very very difficult to control and cure though not impossible. Neuroplasticity (a new branch of Neurology) has made great strides toward a cure, but it is very difficult, as it is a disease associated with a malfunction of the hypothalamus in their brain. Even contestants who have managed to keep most of the weight off still seem to show symptoms of the disease, since any cure of it will most definitely require literally rewiring the brain. Difficult stuff. The show certainly helps in that it contributes to the re-education of the public that is a big part in any recovery process.

    Sheila
    Huh, not that I watched from the beginning. All the contestents have been diagnosed with this disorder? I don't think so. While I was having a good time being snarly with ChristoferHawke it was not meant to be hurtful. Still I don't like it when people say they are fat because they have a disorder its an excuse not do something about it. I have attended several FA (Food Addicts Anonymous) meetings and people are there because they need help, need to get on a food program and stick to it with the support of a group. There are remarkable stories of people losing 100, 200, 300 lbs and keeping it off. The trouble with food addicts is you cannot permanently quit eating your drug of choice; food. That is why I love Celebrity Fit Club, every episode is like being at AA, you hear every excuse in the book as to why the contestent didn't diet, didn't workout. I don't believe any of it because I have told myself the same thing. I recently wore a pedometer to see if I was getting my 10,000 steps a day like I should. Nope. The numbers were scary and eye opening. I got to my shape by not eating right, and not moving my behind. Yes, I have used food to hide behind emotional pain. I got to where I am all by myself and the only way to resolve that is by not lying to myself how I got there.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  5. #95
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,951

    Re: 3/4 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by MomAt40Pls;2830784;
    No eating disorder here. I just ate too much and didn't get any exercise. When I decided to take control of those things, I lost the weight. Was it easy? No. But the decision was mine to eat too much and the decision was mine to stop.

    Marilyn
    Totally, totally luv you and support you. Great answer.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  6. #96
    FORT Fogey canadian_angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    the province with the really long name
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,714

    Re: 3/4 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2831134;
    Huh, not that I watched from the beginning. All the contestents have been diagnosed with this disorder? I don't think so.
    I've been watching from the beginning and this is honestly the first I read/heard of any of them having a disorder. While I don't doubt it may be possible a contestant or two does, I definitely agree not all of them do.



    Quote Originally Posted by MomAt40Pls;2830784;
    No eating disorder here. I just ate too much and didn't get any exercise. When I decided to take control of those things, I lost the weight. Was it easy? No. But the decision was mine to eat too much and the decision was mine to stop.

    Marilyn
    What a wonderful answer. How often I struggle to articulate my own weight loss in terms. But really this sums it up. Yes, I had "reasons" for over-eating. Yes I was an emotional eater, but it was MY doing. Not an eating disorder. It's all about hitting that point. That point where you say to yourself, wow, I NEED to make a change for ME. Not for any other reason. You really have to want it. Like so many of these contestants do. You have to make the commitment to change because it isn't easy and it may very well never be for the rest of our/their lives.

  7. #97
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,951

    Re: 3/4 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2831234;
    I've been watching from the beginning and this is honestly the first I read/heard of any of them having a disorder. While I don't doubt it may be possible a contestant or two does, I definitely agree not all of them do.





    What a wonderful answer. How often I struggle to articulate my own weight loss in terms. But really this sums it up. Yes, I had "reasons" for over-eating. Yes I was an emotional eater, but it was MY doing. Not an eating disorder. It's all about hitting that point. That point where you say to yourself, wow, I NEED to make a change for ME. Not for any other reason. You really have to want it. Like so many of these contestants do. You have to make the commitment to change because it isn't easy and it may very well never be for the rest of our/their lives.
    Exactly, I saw one of my siblings do that. He lost 60lbs following FA guidelines. No sugar, no processed white flour and 3 measured meals a day. Trouble is he would let the stress of work mess up his food plan. He would tell me how great he felt without the sugar and processed white flour in his diet (the first 2 or 3 weeks were hell) how much energy he had, how clear headed he felt. For the next 4 yrs he put back 30 lbs and lost it again every yr like clock work. I was concerned because yo yo ing is harder on the body then just staying at a weight. He finally had to make the decision to make it a permanent lifestyle. Hopefully he has dropped that last 30lb for the last time. He is fortunate that his wife has lost 60 lbs and maintained it for 3 yrs now, although she too went through a similiar yo yo phase for over a 3 yr period before she too decided to make it permanent.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  8. #98
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,129

    Re: 3/4 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Well.....I try really hard to keep an open mind about things. I know my opinion is just that, and that there are as many other opinions as there are people on the earth.

    I started to write about my own experiences, but honestly, I get tired of hearing it in my head and it's not anything anyone else wants to hear. Suffice it to say that it's easy to imply that all one needs to do is diet, and voi la. In my opinion, that is a very naive attitude that doesn't come close to hitting the heart of the matter (at least for me, and I'd guess many others).

    Who cares if these people have a neurological disorder or not. Either way, they have MANY issues to deal with that make weight loss and management much more than a simple diet.
    Last edited by Jexter; 03-09-2008 at 09:56 PM.

  9. #99
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    185

    Re: 3/4 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;2832660;
    Suffice it to say that it's easy to imply that all one needs to do is diet, and voi la. In my opinion, that is a very naive attitude that doesn't come close to hitting the heart of the matter (at least for me, and I'd guess many others).

    Who cares if these people have a neurological disorder or not. Either way, they have MANY issues to deal with that make weight loss and management much more than a simple diet.
    Jexter, I don't completely disagree with you. My note was not meant to imply that it's an easy matter to lose a lot of weight. It's taken me 3.5 years, a lot of hard work, a lot of frustration, and a lot of soul-searching to lose the 134 lbs that I've lost and I'm still not done. It didn't just drop off as if by magic. At the same time, I don't think it's constructive to pass off my poor choices to an eating disorder or to emotional problems or to my parents not pushing me outside to be active or to whatever else you want to come up with. If I don't take responsibility for how I got fat in the first place, then I have no hope of ever taking it off. The very first step to losing weight is the realization that you have to change. The steps to get there may be different for everyone, but a willingness to change is an absolute requirement.

    And considering the fact that I started out at 311 lbs (a higher weight than any woman who's ever been on TBL), I think my perspective has a little bit of validity.

    Marilyn

  10. #100
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: 3/4 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by MomAt40Pls;2833045;
    Jexter, I don't completely disagree with you. My note was not meant to imply that it's an easy matter to lose a lot of weight. It's taken me 3.5 years, a lot of hard work, a lot of frustration, and a lot of soul-searching to lose the 134 lbs that I've lost and I'm still not done. It didn't just drop off as if by magic. At the same time, I don't think it's constructive to pass off my poor choices to an eating disorder or to emotional problems or to my parents not pushing me outside to be active or to whatever else you want to come up with. If I don't take responsibility for how I got fat in the first place, then I have no hope of ever taking it off. The very first step to losing weight is the realization that you have to change. The steps to get there may be different for everyone, but a willingness to change is an absolute requirement.

    And considering the fact that I started out at 311 lbs (a higher weight than any woman who's ever been on TBL), I think my perspective has a little bit of validity.

    Marilyn
    Good for you and I agree. No matter what happened in our past, the present moment is ours to create as are all the days that follow. We are the only ones responsible for our lives.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.