+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 1/29 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 1/29 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2776091;
    From what i've read, you can absolutely gain weight from not eating enough calories, particularly if you are exercising a lot (as the contestants are doing, of course). Your body reacts by trying to preserve the calories it is getting instead of burning them off. I hope they focus more on food next week - that will be interesting.
    Wow, I did not know that at all...I always thought the less you ate the lighter you became...but then this proves to me that the Couples need to start keeping journals of what they eat and this needs to be discussed.

FORT Fogey

Aside from Pauls mistake of not eating enough, over training can result in water retention. I don't believe Paul gained 3 pounds of fat. Bob has been criticized by the blonde trainer for overtraining before a weigh in or challenge. One tends to feel bloated and sluggish afer exercising beyond a reasonable amount, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2776309;
    Weight loss does tend to balance out.
    I didn't realize that changing routine can cause a plateau. I was always under the impression that doing the same routine for an extended period of time can cause plateau. I know when I went home I changed what I did and when I came back for school, I found that the change actually helped my own progress rather than plateau it.

It's so interesting and frustrating, how our bodies work!
    It's our biology. It adapts to the strain of any exercise over a period of time that is why every 6 weeks or so, you are supposed to change your workout routine. It can be something so simple as doing cardio first then weight training, or vice versa. Doing pushups instead of chest presses. Something new to surprise the body. Some nutritionist even recomment eating a different level of calories each day. 1200 day one, 1500 day two, 1600 day three and repeat. Just so the body does not adapt to the routine.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;2776320;
    Wow, I did not know that at all...I always thought the less you ate the lighter you became...but then this proves to me that the Couples need to start keeping journals of what they eat and this needs to be discussed.
    There is a certain point usually around 1200 calories that if you eat less then that you trigger your body's anti starvation mode. If your body thinks it is starving it will slow the metabolism down, it will canabalize muscle instead of fat for food. It keeps fat in starvation mode because that is a source of food the body wants to protect.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

At least they expressed that they thought the lack of eating caused their weight gain or no weight loss. Hopefully they can turn it around.
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fan

It seems counterintuitive, but when I first started my weight loss program, my trainer told me that the two most common dieting mistakes are:
    1. not eating enough
    2. not eating often enough

I started on 2200-2300 calories per day and I never thought I'd lose on that, but I did. I still eat my calories over 5-6 small meals per day, but now I'm only eating about 1400-1500.

Marilyn

I work in the car business... so pardon my analogy, but I've always compared it to fueling your car.

If you drive your car at 60mph you know that it takes X amount of gallons to get Y result (# of miles). If you all of a sudden decide that you are going to drive your car at 80mph do you think you are going to be able to still get Y result on X amount of gallons? No, you will need more fuel. It's the same with your body.

Pretty simplistic analogy, but it applies. If Paul had not increased his workouts then sure... eating less would cause him to lose weight, to a point. But Paul was asking his body to do more with less.. and that never works.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2777155;
    But Paul was asking his body to do more with less.. and that never works.
    Great analogy, Broadway!

Marilyn

FORT Newbie

In general, it takes longer than a week to significantly slow down your metabolism unless you are just completely starving yourselves. I'm guessing that someone like Paul was on about 1800 calories. There's no way a guy that big could go under 1000 calories and workout at the level they do without literally falling over at the workouts. That level of eating would not slow down his metabolism much over just a week.

But, think about it. Let's say his metabolism slowed to a halt. 1000 calories a day is 7000 calories a week. If he didn't burn a single calorie all week, that's only +2 pounds. His body could react by retaining some water, but unless he switched to salt and bread for his 1000 calories, he (as a guy) really couldn't be holding onto enough extra water to make up for that.

If he came in at 0 like his Kelly, I could believe it was just a bad week- but not +3. That's absolutely 100% without a doubt gameplay. Since his ex hit 0 at the same time, you have to assume they both gamed it knowing they would probably be safe at elimination and would be able to book the numbers next week to boost their team to a win. (making sure they stay multiple weeks)

Given the way Kelly was saying "don't take Paul, take me" suggests that she was willing to sacrifice herself for him if they miscalculated and their teammates decided to vote for them. Remember, she's said several times that she is only doing the show to support him. If I had to psycho-analyze, I'd say she still feels guilty for dumping him (not regretful - just guilty) and is doing the show as an apology and an attempt to help him get his life back on track. (and to maybe find someone new so he'll stop pining over her)

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by smurfberry;2777520;
    Given the way Kelly was saying "don't take Paul, take me" suggests that she was willing to sacrifice herself for him if they miscalculated and their teammates decided to vote for them. Remember, she's said several times that she is only doing the show to support him. If I had to psycho-analyze, I'd say she still feels guilty for dumping him (not regretful - just guilty) and is doing the show as an apology and an attempt to help him get his life back on track. (and to maybe find someone new so he'll stop pining over her)
    As I recall, Kelly was the one who applied for the program. They told her she needed a partner and she picked Paul because he was the biggest person she knew. As for him needing to find someone else, he has mentioned having a girlfriend. Despite that, I think it is obvious he still has feelings for Kelly.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread