+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 1/29 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 1/29 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I was thinking that as well while watching the challenge. He took a couple stairs at a time while she was holding on to the railing to climb. I hope she kicks butt the next weigh in with her team.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I know in all the past seasons there is a bit of game play after the first couple of contestants are booted. The previous game play always seemed to come from the contestants themselves but this season it appears much more producer driven. I don't like the cut throat "Survivor" style theme of this year. This show has always been about weight loss and the struggles, triumphs and defeats that go along with it. Yes, there is still a lot of that in this season but I don't like the added emphasis on strategy that seems more prevalent in this years contest.

About the product placement: is it me or does this feel like we're watching The Truman Show?
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

You're right , Bearcata . . .what stinks for us gals is that guys, in general, are usually going to be taller, with the bigger lungs and hearts that go along with frame size.

Your bro might be able to cover more distance in the short-term, but I bet you could go longer. If you both set out to walk a marathon, he would leave you in the dust in the beginning. But after about mile 12, you would no doubt catch up to his panting carcass on the roadside.

I guess I should clarify that I think tests of speed, sprinter-style are going to favor the men--but I believe women can excel at the endurance events, if they are able to go more slowly. Witness the channel-swimming.

God (or evolution, if you prefer) designed men for bursts of speed in the short-term (all the better to outrun predators, who wouldn't likely chase them all day.) Women, on the other hand, are built for endurance--24 hours of childbirth, say, followed by 24/7 of looking after scampering rug rats around the cave, plus skinning the mammoth & cooking it for all those people. Plus a woman is smaller so she could elude predators by stealth and cunning (hiding) rather than trying to elude them by speed alone.

The women who compete in the team sports (basketball, volleyball) in general are selected because they have the height and muscle structure closer to that of a guy. There may be many of us closer-to-the-ground women that would like a chance to play basketball, too, but we will not be given the opportunity because those would be some slow and pretty wimpy games.

How tall is Jill? About 5'7"?

Where is Ms. Universe this season? Workout Barbie been dissed! I wonder though, if Kim would have had any different outcome? Probably not, though, whereas Jillian's musculature is firm and defined, it is still recognizable as belonging to a female. Not so Kim's arms-n-thighs! That chick was like a dude. That's why she kept her hair so long and blonde--it was her only femme characterisitic.

Here's a workout challenge for Bob: All the team members he blew off to form his new team can take turns holding him down and pummelling him. That would be strength training AND cardio all in one workout.

Me still angry at Papa Smurf!

CCL

Paul mentioned that he had not eaten all his alloted calories in an attempt to lose more weight; instead, he gained. From what i've read, you can absolutely gain weight from not eating enough calories, particularly if you are exercising a lot (as the contestants are doing, of course). Your body reacts by trying to preserve the calories it is getting instead of burning them off. I hope they focus more on food next week - that will be interesting.
    Brittany was amazing last night on the escalator.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    About the product placement: is it me or does this feel like we're watching The Truman Show?
    Nice reference to The Truman Show. The product testimonials are rather insipid. And, I'm sorry, if I want some chocolate a piece of Wrigley's is not going to satisfy my sweet tooth in any way!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

My business partner and I talk about the show every Wednesday morning, and today he shocked me when he told me that he thinks that Jillian disgraced herself. He thinks she was crying because she was so pathetic, and that if HE was competing against her in this challenge, he would have kicked HER ass.

When I was done laughing, I reminded him that we live in L.A. and that this is where she has her gym and that I'm sure she would be happy to meet the guy. I told him to bring his big mouth and crying towel.

It's been pretty quiet in here for the last couple of hours.

That's funny hypnoboy. He would most likely need his crying towel!
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fogey

I seem to remember B last season having a lot of trouble with his food issues, and calories, which kept him from losing weight until closer to the end when he figured them out. I think he had a week of +1 that finally opened his eyes, didn't he?

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2775924;
    Do the trainers really train that differently that going from one routine to another can cause them to not lose or actually gain weight? I've always thought exercise is exercise and it didn't matter how it was done as long as it was done. It's been mentioned before by trainers that drastically changing a routine can cause a plateau.
    MollyMouse was absolutely correct in an earlier post that 80% of weight loss comes from diet rather than exercise. I feel pretty certain that Paul is not eating enough and that's part of his problem and Kelly's too for that matter. Also, they both had pretty stunning losses last week, so they may be experiencing something of a rebound effect. Weight loss tends to even out over time, at least that's been my experience.

Marilyn

Weight loss does tend to balance out.
    I didn't realize that changing routine can cause a plateau. I was always under the impression that doing the same routine for an extended period of time can cause plateau. I know when I went home I changed what I did and when I came back for school, I found that the change actually helped my own progress rather than plateau it.

It's so interesting and frustrating, how our bodies work!

I just hope that the two who gained or didn't lose anything get back on track next week.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread