+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some questions

Some questions

Hey guys, I have mainly been lurking and am a little confused, so I need your input on this because I think I must have missed it: how long does the whole weight loss process really take? I was under the impression these people where well into their fourth month, but NBC says this was week 11. Then I guess they are sent home after week 12, but for how long exactly ? I understand the final is in 4 weeks, but I have trouble understanding real time since the show has been going on for a while and these episodes were shot a while ago. Am I right that they generally do 12 weeks at the farm, then 12 at home for a total of about 6 months (or 24 weeks)?

Admittedly their weight loss is pretty impressive, both in the farm and at home. Naturally, NBC says that these results are not typical and any commercial spin-offs promise a safe weight loss of 1-2 pounds a week. However, these people have been losing much much more which makes me assume that there are two standards when it comes to working out, right? I also suspect that even those who are sent home must be somehow monitored by the show, seeing that all of them are more or less at goal weight after six months for the final reunion. However, given all the stress, the voting out which must be disappointing for some, and the character/disposition of some players, one would expect some of them to binge. That they don't must be indicative of some sort of intervention on the part of the show.

Thanks for any input, and I apologize if these questions have been asked and answered before. I love reading your posts, they are immensely intelligent and interesting.

Sheila
    Last edited by sheila; 11-26-2007 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Typo and reformulating a sentence.

Re: Some questions

There are supposed to me 2 more episodes before the finale, those being week 12 and 13. (13 weeks actually add up to 3 full months) After that it gets confusing. I do believe in season 1 the final 3 went home and had an addtional 6 months, but I do not know if that has changed over the seasons, hopefully someone can answer that.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fan

Per the Biggest Loser message boards at NBC's website, filming started for this edition in April, so the total time for them to lose weight on and off campus would be around 8 months. I believe the live finale is scheduled for Dec. 18. There is also a blog on the NBC website done by one of the doctors who monitors the contestants while they are on campus in which she states that some of the "weeks" referred to between weigh-ins are actually up to 10 days long. In the last couple of shows the contestants have talked about being on campus for 3 months. The indication is that the finalists will have been on campus around 4 months before they go home to see how much more weight they can lose before the finale.

Marilyn

I did some research on TV.com. Season 1 and 2 were 12 episodes long. Season 3 was 13 episodes long. Season 4 will be 14 episodes long. There are 2 episodes left; to be shown on 12/04 and 12/11. There will be 5 finalists competing for the million dollars and the rest will compete for who lost the most weight when voted off.

Right now I can see Neil and/or Bill and 3 ladies in the finale. Unfortunately the ladies do not seem to be putting up the numbers. After this episode I can see Hollie being as big or worse whiner then Amy but she is quieter about it. You can work around an injury. She is lucky she has a tight alliance cause I wanted to see her sorry ass sent home this week.

Oh you can certainly work around an injury. There are lots of ways. I have two friends who were able to do that: the one was a runner, and she had a horrible fall breaking her leg in three pieces and busting her knee! The other one had a joint problem, so he tended to dislocate his knee on a regular basis. Both decided to handcycle, watch what they ate, and continue lifting weights, obviously not by using their injured legs. None of them put on weight, and I suspect that they did not lose muscle mass either. Of the two the guy was on a weight loss program, the other one didn't need to lose weight. Of course, he didn't need to lose much, and I can understand that the stress of losing weight is immense, especially on the show. Plus such injuries tend to be disheartening.

The most horrible thing that ever happened to me during a weight loss program was years ago when I broke everything that could be broken in my ankle. Before the injury I could push 350 pounds on the leg press. Two weeks after the injury I could only do 14! It took me months in rehab and five years to go back to pushing 350 pounds, but most of it was being disappointed, disheartened, and set back.

I am not sure whether not letting us know how long these people take to lose the weight is a good thing. Perhaps it is because the public won't really think of it in terms of a competition to diet and exercise excessively. On the other hand, however, how fair is it to the contestants if their weeks fluctuate?

Sheila

Quote Originally Posted by sheila;2695499;
    Oh you can certainly work around an injury. There are lots of ways. I have two friends who were able to do that: the one was a runner, and she had a horrible fall breaking her leg in three pieces and busting her knee! The other one had a joint problem, so he tended to dislocate his knee on a regular basis. Both decided to handcycle, watch what they ate, and continue lifting weights, obviously not by using their injured legs. None of them put on weight, and I suspect that they did not lose muscle mass either. Of the two the guy was on a weight loss program, the other one didn't need to lose weight. Of course, he didn't need to lose much, and I can understand that the stress of losing weight is immense, especially on the show. Plus such injuries tend to be disheartening.

The most horrible thing that ever happened to me during a weight loss program was years ago when I broke everything that could be broken in my ankle. Before the injury I could push 350 pounds on the leg press. Two weeks after the injury I could only do 14! It took me months in rehab and five years to go back to pushing 350 pounds, but most of it was being disappointed, disheartened, and set back.

I am not sure whether not letting us know how long these people take to lose the weight is a good thing. Perhaps it is because the public won't really think of it in terms of a competition to diet and exercise excessively. On the other hand, however, how fair is it to the contestants if their weeks fluctuate?

Sheila

For me I just want to know for accuracy's sake. On VH1's Celebrity Fit Club they were very specific as to the length of the diet; 100 days. Also during the weightins you knew what day of the diet it was; such as day 14, day 45. This gave you a good idea the time between weighins. Normally they would do 2 wks between weights in but occasionally did 1 wk.

I do not understand why the competition is not based on body composition analysis? Evaluating turning fat into muscle seems like a much more even playing field than wieght loss. I also think that anyone who gains more than 1lb should be sent packing
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Did anyone else notice a commerical during last nights show for a new season of the Biggest Loser....a couples edition to start January?

Just curious about it?
    "That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger"

Quote Originally Posted by babymay;2702822;
    I do not understand why the competition is not based on body composition analysis? Evaluating turning fat into muscle seems like a much more even playing field than wieght loss. I also think that anyone who gains more than 1lb should be sent packing
    Because the public won't be able to relate to that as much. Anyone can weigh themselves on the scale, but hydrostatic body composition analysis is rather hard to find and do on a regular basis. Plus it takes some time.

Sheila

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tammommy;2706318;
    Did anyone else notice a commerical during last nights show for a new season of the Biggest Loser....a couples edition to start January?

Just curious about it?
    I remember when they were recruiting for it not so long ago it seems--considered getting my brother to try out with me!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast