+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shirtless weigh-ins ... why??

shirtless weigh-ins ... why??

I can't imagine the rationale for all of the guys to remove their shirts for each weigh-in. Are they wearing tank tops made out of lead? And the women have cotton? Gimme a break!

Also, why is a perfectly formed woman's bare breast considered offensive to show on television, but an overweight man with man-boobs is not offensive -- even if the man-boob looks exactly like a woman's boob? One good -- one bad. Or, for that matter, woman's breast = okay, but areola and nipple = bad??

Huh?? What's up with that?

When you're going for numbers.... every last ounce counts in a person's mind. Once they weighed in once without a shirt... to weigh in the next time with one adds ounces that they didn't truly *gain.*

Male boobs aren't considered a sexual part of anatomy like a female breast.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Male boobs aren't considered a sexual part of anatomy like a female breast.
    I realize that, but if the male boob looks exactly like the female breast, one is acceptable for television and the other is not. It's just so wrong. A woman could be standing there with pasties and that would be acceptable. It draws attention to the breast and sexualizes them, but that would be acceptable for television.

I'm wondering who decided for the rest of us?

And as far as the ounces of weight in the men's tank tops, the women have sport bras beneath their tank tops. And the weigh scale rounds the number up or down to pounds ... no ounces. I know you're talking about psychological perceptions ... it's just more arbitrary silliness to me.

No offense intended ... I appreciate your response.

I ask myself that question every show. Taking those tops off won't make any real difference. Its not only the man-boobs that look creepy, its also hard to look at those rolls of fat.

The cynic in me wants to think that the men were coerced into taking off their shirts for better tv. I recall in the premier a few of the guys were quite uncomfortable with disrobing.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    The cynic in me wants to think that the men were coerced into taking off their shirts for better tv. I recall in the premier a few of the guys were quite uncomfortable with disrobing.
    There's no way that they could be more uncomfortable than I am. It makes me shudder to see that poor man whose circumference is greater than that of my refrigerator. That's a sight we could all do without.

I think you're right, speedy. I don't think the few ounces less are meaningful; the purpose is to make the contestants feel ill at ease - .

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    I think ... the purpose is to make the contestants feel ill at ease
    Agreed. Humiliation is a major part of many of these sorts of reality shows. tsk-tsk-tsk

No doubt about it. I, um, have been known to watch Maury Povich's talk show at times and he occasionally has very young children on (under age 3) who are seriously overweight, and these kids are ALWAYS shown on video and brought onstage clad only in a diaper. Heaven forbid we shouldn't get a proper notion of exactly how overweight someone is if they're wearing a shirt.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

It's nice to know that so many people think along the same lines. What the heck is a shirt gonna do? Okay I realize they started off by taking off the shirts, so I guess every ounce counts. However the women, obviously cannot take off their shirts so why should the men?

I agree, there isn't a lot of difference in the appearance of man breasts, vs. womens breasts except for the even more offensive appearance of HAIR :phhht

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast