+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: shirtless weigh-ins ... why??

This show is about weight loss and about gaining knowledge. Knowledge that you "can" do anything once you set your mind to it, knowledge of how to maintain what these people are working so very hard to achieve. I don't view them as "these poor people" as a poster above did because if they were really that unhappy or felt like they were being used to poke fun at then I don't think they would stay with the program. Obviously, something that is being done or said during this entire process is sticking with these people since these before and after shots are pretty awesome.

As for those who don't like watching the weigh-ins because of the topless men...quit watching.

The trainers did tell the contestants that the first week was just all the excess water getting out of their system. It wasn't really focused on and they are losing more weight now.

This is a discussion about the show. The way I understand the rules we are allowed to say what we feel about the participants on the show, but not throw digs at each other. I personally do not plan to tell anyone to quit watching the show because their opinion differs from mine. At the same time I will still feel free to watch and comment on what I saw.
    The shirtless weigh ins have to be just a part of the "plot" of the show. I agree with whoever said that it is just to show the noticable body changes, I just don't find the bodies very appealing at this stage of the game. Sometimes I would rather just have it left to my imagination.

It's because you have such fine instincts, Muduh. We want to see the contestants succeed and achieve their goal weights. We don't need to see those poor women poured into spandex tops and the guys flash their man-boobs. I actually stopped watching this show for a couple of weeks because 1. it was on the same time as Law & Order SVU and 2. I thought the deliberate taunting of the participants with food was utterly repulsive.

It's the trainwreck factor. Lots of people tune in just to see morbidly obese people with next-to-no-clothing on, all the better to view their rolls and stretch marks. They watch EXM or The Swan to gasp at the rotted teeth, the saggy boobs, and the badly receding chins. Human suffering turns the viewing public on.

Personally, I don't have a problem with whatever motivates the viewers to watch a program. No one said TV viewing was a noble pastime. There are certain aspects to Biggest Loser that like I said, I find repulsive. The shirtless thing is exploitative and also, IMO, completely unnecessary. On the other hand, I'm very glad that at least some of the contestants are making much-needed lifestyle changes and are becoming happier and healthier. (Not to mention that they could walk away a quarter mil richer. )
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I still think the shirtless weigh-in has absolutely no effect on the outcome of the weight, since the number is truncated to the nearest pound, and no ounces are counted. No tank-top is going to weigh a pound, or even half a pound.

And as much as I might dislike the edited portrayal of each individual's personalities during the course of the shows, seeing the before and after pictures makes me like them and happy for each person all over again. Even Dave.

I just wish the show eliminated the elimination-factor for the next season. Keep everybody on for the duration of Season 2, revise the reward system so that the "biggest loser" takes home the big prize, but let's keep up with all of their progress.

JMHO ...

Quote Originally Posted by getreal
    I still think the shirtless weigh-in has absolutely no effect on the outcome of the weight, since the number is truncated to the nearest pound, and no ounces are counted. No tank-top is going to weigh a pound, or even half a pound.

And as much as I might dislike the edited portrayal of each individual's personalities during the course of the shows, seeing the before and after pictures makes me like them and happy for each person all over again. Even Dave.

I just wish the show eliminated the elimination-factor for the next season. Keep everybody on for the duration of Season 2, revise the reward system so that the "biggest loser" takes home the big prize, but let's keep up with all of their progress.

JMHO ...
    I'm not too sure about that. We have all seen the size of those shirts. I think one way to show how much they've lost is to get them smaller clothes as they lose. Some of those clothes look like they're ready to drop off, don't they?
    I agree about not sending them home. It seems terribly unfair to send someone home who's really working hard but not losing as rapidly as someone who sits around feeding their face and losing steadily. all that proves to me is that if you drop form 6,000 calories a day to 4,000, you WILL lose weight. What happens after they all go home and have free access to food? If they haven't learned anything, or are not motivated to even try they will be right back where they started.
    I like your idea of keeping them all. This show needs work Maybe they'll let US help.

It would be nice if they modeled The Discovery Channel's Body Challenge a bit more. Have them all compete as individuals for a prize with little rewards along the way.

Too many shows are still after the *Survivor* appeal of voting off contestants, unfortunately. With a topic such as weight loss, it would be nice if they actually combined the entertainment aspect of a competition show with seriously wanting to HELP people. TDC's Body Challenge had that down pat!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Broadway I've never seen that show. I like that idea. I just feel that everyone should get to stay. the ones who are serious, that is. The dead wood needs to go home and pig out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123