+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: shirtless weigh-ins ... why??

Couture Connoisseur
    haha i'm usually a "Top Model" only poster, but since i'm an avid watcher of all reality tv, and i notice that everyone is asking the same question, including my brother, who only watched the show once... i think i'd anwser.

i think you all are waaaay overlooking this whole thing. the explination for the removal of the men's shirts is probobly the easiest.

it's so you can see a difference in their weight loss. i'm not pretending that i know all the anwsers here, that reason could be wrong, but i'm guessing it's not, since it's the most logical. and i'm guessing a lot of people who watch it have a very liberal outlook on things and say "well... why can't women take their shirts off too!?" well, i'm guessing it's because the ratings would flop, if the women did, in the sense that a lot of very conservative people may watch that show, seeing as it's one of the reality shows on today with more substance and a more emotional plot. The women are probobly asked to keep their shirts on out of respect for less liberalminded viewers, and i'm sure the women have no problem with it.

if somebody would like to debate this with me, i'm all ears.

Couture Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    There's no way that they could be more uncomfortable than I am. It makes me shudder to see that poor man whose circumference is greater than that of my refrigerator. That's a sight we could all do without.
    and i must say i was a little turned off at that comment. i'm aware a great deal of peole share that view. it isn't everyon'es wish to see a person of almost morbid obesity standing shirtless on a weightscale.

but by saying that you've just added to the mass of oppressors these contestants have to live with daily. you think Kelly Mac, or Lisa never think that they'd rather go to hell than the beach, because they're too embarressed to be seen in a bathing suit in public? or what about poor aaron with his "manboobs"? i'm sure he didn't feel too comfortable in trunks.

i think insted of saying "that's gross, i don't need to see that" you should be saying "Wow, he must have overcome a lot of adversity and self doubt to take his shirt off on national television and show the world he's ready to change his life"

in my opinion, if you're not interested in seeing "fat" people, why are you watching the show?

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    Ok, my take on the reason the guys remove their shirts? Every ounce counts. Being a woman who has struggled off and on with that sadistic scale, you want as few "excess ounces" as possible. Think about it - how many of you weigh yourselves right after getting out of the shower? That's because you're stark naked. And, you'll weigh yourself AFTER using the restroom, right?

On the show, you'll notice that everyone wears thong slippers that they take off before standing on the scale? The women are forced to keep their shirts on because of the censors and to avoid offending viewers.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivican
    haha i'm usually a "Top Model" only poster, but since i'm an avid watcher of all reality tv, and i notice that everyone is asking the same question, including my brother, who only watched the show once... i think i'd anwser.

i think you all are waaaay overlooking this whole thing. the explination for the removal of the men's shirts is probobly the easiest.

it's so you can see a difference in their weight loss. i'm not pretending that i know all the anwsers here, that reason could be wrong, but i'm guessing it's not, since it's the most logical. and i'm guessing a lot of people who watch it have a very liberal outlook on things and say "well... why can't women take their shirts off too!?" well, i'm guessing it's because the ratings would flop, if the women did, in the sense that a lot of very conservative people may watch that show, seeing as it's one of the reality shows on today with more substance and a more emotional plot. The women are probobly asked to keep their shirts on out of respect for less liberalminded viewers, and i'm sure the women have no problem with it.

if somebody would like to debate this with me, i'm all ears.
    No debate, I agree. And I think it was further illustrated on this week's episode. When they did their initial "before" weigh-ins, they were shirtless. By weighing in shirtless each week, it allows for the side-by-side comparison we saw this week. Obviously, the women were unable to do their before shots shirtless so they weigh in the same way. I would think that given the choice not all of the men would CHOOSE to go shirtless each week, so they must be required to.

What struck me this week was the women's jewelry at weigh in. Dre had big hoop earrings on and (I think) Lisa had a big necklace on. You think those would be adding ounces more than a T-shirt!

Couture Connoisseur
    Word. haha i weighed myself at my friend's house and it came out to 124 (yeah i'm a waif) and i thought i was something like... 115. so it was a big shock. it was a party, so i asked everyone to leave the bathroom, and i got naked and took all my jewlary off and weighed myself again and it came out to somthing like 119. So if i were the women, i'd be wearing as little as possible. not just because they'd want to get the best results, but the pounds count for their team.

Well, they could have them step behind a screen and get naked for the weigh-in. All we'd see would be their sillhouette and their weight.

I'd also like to see Caroline Rhea step on the scale, since she's the one saying her lines about "who's weighing you down" and "it's time to cut the fat" and "you are/are not the biggest loser". Do writers of reality shows and newspaper headlines have to take a course in school on writing bad puns and double-entendres?

Also, if ounces of a man's shirt are really supposed to be so substantial, then why don't the weights come out at something like 240 lbs. & 12 oz. instead of rounding it up or down to 240 lbs.?

If someone is 240 lbs. 8 oz. does it count as 241 lbs? 240 lbs? Where do they draw the line? I suppose each shirt weighs 1 lb.? Get real!

Quote Originally Posted by getreal
    If someone is 240 lbs. 8 oz. does it count as 241 lbs? 240 lbs? Where do they draw the line? I suppose each shirt weighs 1 lb.? Get real!
    I would assume that anything over 8ozs would round up... and anything under 8ozs would round down.

It's all a matter of consistency. What you wear one week should be what you wear the next week if you're looking for honest losses. If you wear your shirt one week and then not the next week, you could be making a difference in the loss that shows on the scale (if it takes you below the rounding down point.) Likewise, if you weigh yourself naked one week and then clothed the next week you're going to reflect a gain. If these people want to make sure they're comparing apples to apples...... they keep their wardrobe as consistent as possible.

It's apparent that you've never gone through a weighing in ritual. Good for you.

And... have you ever weighed a shirt? You'd be surprised... yes, they CAN weigh a pound.
    Last edited by Broadway; 11-29-2004 at 02:23 PM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

LG.
    I've been to Weight Watchers too, and people DO strip down at the scales. Not just shoes (which I always take off at the scales, as boots are really, really heavy). It's not unrealistic that people trying to lose weight will disrobe at the scales, but I suspect that the show encourages it also.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

FORT Newbie
    I'm really upset that this show continues to send the message that the way to determine a person's fat loss if through weight. In reality, that is not a true indicator. Muscle weighs more than fat, plain and simple. The show should also include an UNDERWATER BODY FAT COMPOSITION test for eash person each week to determine the actual FAT lost instead of simply weighing the contestants. Because they have been doing so much strength training, they have been building muscle replacing fat. So, the scale may look like someone has not lost much, but in fact they may have lot a lot of fat replacing some with muscle, so the scale will be higher though fat loss greater. These poor people are being subjected to such humiliation when their weight loss numbers aren't as high as they want, thinking yet again they have failed themselves when in fact they probably lost more fat than the others! Also, two cups of water weighs a pound, so water retention is another factor that screws up the weight - but underwater bodyfat composition tests give the real indicator of the person's success. This show has really screwed up the chance to educate the population and these contestants by continuing to stick to outdate and unrealistic methodology by only using weight as a means to measure the success of the person's fat loss. I could go on and on about how they could have done this right, they being the network and makers of this show.

Hypatia...

The show is about weight loss, pure and simple. It's not about fat loss. It's not the best way to gauge whether someone's getting in shape or not, but that's not the premise of the show.

But all of your advice SHOULD be being given to the participants to help them feel more comfortable with smaller weight losses, and it really doesn't appear to be happening. Either that, or they are choosing to ignore it because they are so focused on the number on the scale (again, the entire premise of the show.)
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast