+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone see Oprah Monday?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Did anyone see Oprah Monday?

This is relevant to this show....not a hijacking... She had a followup with a woman who had lost 300+ pounds...down from 550 after a stomach operation. There were some really gruesome pictures of the hanging leftover skin... I mean REALLY gruesome. She had to have plastic surgery to remove it there was so much... I think she described it as 2 footballs worth. She was maybe in her 40's or so judging by when she was earlier on Oprah. They said it is hard for the leftover skin to be reabsorbed as you get older... Im just wondering if any of the really large folks, like Mo, would have that problem.

I think that is a problem for anyone who loses a significant amount of weight. If you've seen Exteme Makeover they have people on there sometimes who have that problem. It's really sad that these people finally achieve their goals and lose a lot of weight then realize that the skin is still there. And unless you have money to have it surgically removed there's not much they can do. I wonder if Mo lost enough weight the show might offer to get the surgery for him?
    I love my three pit bulls, Zed, June bug and Harley!

Yes, Mo will have that problem. He is just simply too large for him to not.

Lots of factors come into play as to how bad your skin issues will be: how long you've been overweight, how overweight you were, genetics, and the length of time it took you to lose weight.

I was thinking about this last night. I then was discussing it with my boss today and one our clients is a plastic surgeon and he said the excess skin removal procedure is not as pricey as one would think.

Also, I did see Oprah on Monday and the woman in question was able to find a plastic surgeon who could do all these surgeries for her and they "worked something out" as far as how much it would cost her in the long run. Not all plastic surgeons are about the "bottom line" some of them do work for good.

I think it's unfair to expect the show to pay for these surgeries. I don't think Mo will be the only one with this problem.

I think I heard from somewhere that if you can convince your insurance company that removal of this skin is medically necessary they will pay for it.

FORT Fogey
    It's hard enough to convince an insurance company that you really need a "normal operation"... I can't imagine it being easy to convince them that you need to get the excess skin removed.

Quote Originally Posted by dfleming2
    It's hard enough to convince an insurance company that you really need a "normal operation"... I can't imagine it being easy to convince them that you need to get the excess skin removed.
    Well they managed to convince them that gastric bypass and other types of weight loss surgery are preventative medicine so why not.

Quote Originally Posted by dfleming2
    dfleming :nono not true, not true at all. I know someone who had a severe excess skin problem after gastric bypass surgery, and her provincial plan paid for the surgery itself (she was morbidly obese - that is, 100+ lbs. overweight), and for removal of the excess skin on her belly and breasts. (She also had her upper arms done, but had to pay out-of-pocket for that.)

Insurance companies, both private and provincial, pay for a wide array of elective surgeries, including tubal ligation, therapeutic abortion, removal of non-cancerous lesions, certain types of knee surgery...well, the list is long and diverse.

Now if they could only be convinced to pay for similar surgery for us moms with stretched-out belly skin from pregnancy...
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Newbie
    I don't think Mo will ever get to that point. He doesn't seem to have any real desire to lose the weight IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by kilcher
    I don't think Mo will ever get to that point. He doesn't seem to have any real desire to lose the weight IMO.

Or, that sure he'd like to be 100 pounds less, but he isn't willing to change his lifestyle to make it happen. As my mother told me the first time I embarked on my own weightloss adventure, you will never lose any weight until you really get mad enough. Mo just doesn't seem to have that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast