+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63

Thread: 10/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

  1. #51
    Reality Junkie jsciv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The OC
    Posts
    1,439
    DHBC was a show about losing weight, with competition thrown in. TBL is a competition show: the weight loss is just a gimmick. That's the main difference. Discovery Health actually wanted to help people. NBC just wants ratings and drama.

    They're presenting them with trainers who (from all indications) tell them WHAT to do, but not why. With tables full of food and (again from all indications) no guidance on what is good for you and what is not, and what appropriate portion sizes are, and how to determine how many calories might be in various things.

    When presented with clear choices of right and wrong (the bake-off, the "temptation" fridges), the contestants know what to do and do it because they're motivated. But when the choice is less clear (meals), they don't always make the right choices because they're uninformed. If the show were actually about weight loss and helping these people, well, then it'd be DHBC, I guess.

    -- Joe

  2. #52
    FORT Fogey famita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,767
    I have to keep telling myself this is for NBC. I'm trying not to get too hooked on it in case they pull the plug on it before the last episode! Now I feel my anger and angst flowing through the air and away from me, flowing and away, flowing and away.

  3. #53
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by famita
    I have to keep telling myself this is for NBC. I'm trying not to get too hooked on it in case they pull the plug on it before the last episode! Now I feel my anger and angst flowing through the air and away from me, flowing and away, flowing and away.

    This show is doing well in the ratings, it won't get cancelled.

  4. #54
    What did you say, Simon? krstlfethr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    98
    This might be a stupid question...but why is Ryan or...anyone...the donut boy?
    "[t]he soul is the effect and instrument of political anatomy: the soul is the prison of the body."
    -Foucault

  5. #55
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,951
    Ryan is the donut boy for 2 reasons.

    1. In his bio he said that he starts breakfast by eating 2 donuts.

    2. When the show showed what the contestants ate that week he went up and ate a donut.

  6. #56
    What did you say, Simon? krstlfethr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    98
    ohhh, haha, thanks!
    "[t]he soul is the effect and instrument of political anatomy: the soul is the prison of the body."
    -Foucault

  7. #57
    Strength through Honor Oculona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    N.L.R, Arkansas
    Age
    46
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by jsciv
    All I have to say is that this show infuriates me. I just have to remember that it's not actually a show about weight loss, and I feel a little better...
    -- Joe
    Amen. You’re so right the show isn't about weight loss or they would have incorporate measurements and body fat for a more accurate gauge of weight loss. It seems to me that the show is more about the embarrassment, shame and failure of the competitors than their successes.

    I enjoyed how Discovery Health Channel did their weight loss challenge shows. My favorite has is Health Cops.

  8. #58
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata
    I do not see anything wrong with a sense of humor. It can be a wonderful thing. But not at the expense of another. That is being a bully and being malicious, plain and simple. Ryan (the donut boy), himself commented that people don't get his sense of humor. 2 examples of it happened during this episode. He obviously doesn't read people well, cause his humor is pissing people off, well I take that back he realizes after that he pissed them off but that does not stop him from doing it. I know some people find it amusing to do so, ( piss people off with their humor) eventually it will backfire. I give Lizzeth a lot of credit for not dumping a pot of something over Ryan's head. Personally, I would have if it had been available.(It would have been great TV) That or a hit to his head with a baseball bat. The guy does not get it. His humor is hurtful.
    Yes! Bully--the exact word for someone who abuses their power! It was said above that his "joke" was aimed at the other guy, not her....but who on earth with normal social skills would not realize that it would affect her??
    ok I'll get off the and let it go... But I'll be watching him and rooting for him to be next out. And then lazy guy.

  9. #59
    One tough customer... sooz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by Oculona
    You’re so right the show isn't about weight loss or they would have incorporate measurements and body fat for a more accurate gauge of weight loss.
    I agree totally... it won't be long before the dramatic weight loss stops happening... then there will be an abundance of low morale issues to deal with.

  10. #60
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata
    I do not see anything wrong with a sense of humor. It can be a wonderful thing. But not at the expense of another. That is being a bully and being malicious, plain and simple. Ryan (the donut boy), himself commented that people don't get his sense of humor. 2 examples of it happened during this episode. He obviously doesn't read people well, cause his humor is pissing people off, well I take that back he realizes after that he pissed them off but that does not stop him from doing it. I know some people find it amusing to do so, ( piss people off with their humor) eventually it will backfire. I give Lizzeth a lot of credit for not dumping a pot of something over Ryan's head. Personally, I would have if it had been available.(It would have been great TV) That or a hit to his head with a baseball bat. The guy does not get it. His humor is hurtful.

    You really hit the nail on the head - imho that which hurts is not funny thus I would not call it humor at all. He may have been trying to play with lazy boy but in order to so he had to include another element (that being Lizzeth) and at that point he should have realized what the total effect would be. After seeing how upset Lizzeth became he should have at least apologized and let her know he was trying to mess with lazy boy and didn't mean for her to get hurt in the process but instead he seemed very proud of himself for being able to really upset her and very blase' about the whole thing. He really is a jerk and if he's married I pity his wife and hope he never has any kids - He's the kind of guy that would probably do something mean to his own kid just to see him/her cry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.