+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 10/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl422
    I agree with Thonolan about Matt (donut boy) and his sense of humor. I usually deal with stress with a sense of humor
    Ryan is the donut boy with the questionable sense of humor. Matt is the one who gained and cried on the scale.

All I have to say is that this show infuriates me. I just have to remember that it's not actually a show about weight loss, and I feel a little better...

-- Joe

I agree with everyone.

I almost lost my television after Donut boy's lack of sympathy. But I had to make darn sure to keep it so that I could watch Manhunt. (Boy was that worth it!)

I am appalled that body fat is not taken into consideration on the biggest loser. Anyone can lose weight. Its the FAT loss that takes work.

Red Wicked Witch of the West needs to stop grinding her team into the ground or they will stop caring and fall for all of the decadent temptations.

Quote Originally Posted by TellTaleOrange
    I agree with everyone.

I almost lost my television after Donut boy's lack of sympathy. But I had to make darn sure to keep it so that I could watch Manhunt. (Boy was that worth it!)
    Mmmmmm..... Manhunt.... yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by TellTaleOrange
    I am appalled that body fat is not taken into consideration on the biggest loser. Anyone can lose weight. Its the FAT loss that takes work.

Red Wicked Witch of the West needs to stop grinding her team into the ground or they will stop caring and fall for all of the decadent temptations.
    Like I said, once you realize that this isn't actually a weight loss show and that these people are just getting screwed on national TV, then you can look at it as a competition show, and you feel a little better. NBC doesn't care if these people lose weight as long as there's a lot of DRAMA during the process.

-- Joe

When I saw the advocates for the overweight on Entertainment Tonight ( before the show was aired ) whining about how it makes big people look bad, etc. I thought "Get over it!" Now I find my self being angered by this show, but for different reasons. Of course, I am now hooked on it and will still be watching it and yelling at the t.v. while on the treadmill.( I find the show somewhat insirational, yet frustrating) My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy. I'm starting to think, maybe he's right.....

Quote Originally Posted by Swingsongbird
    Of course, I am now hooked on it and will still be watching it and yelling at the t.v. while on the treadmill
    I watch it from my recumbant bike. For some reason I found myself riding much harder than usual last night, too. I got a good workout watching this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Really?? you thought what donut boy did was funny? raising her hopes and then dashing them?? I deal with stress via humor also, but that didn't seem the least bit funny to me. Especially when she was already so upset about leaving. Donut guy was not someone I'd ever want as a friend.
    I do agree that TV likes to have jerks ... so we'll have someone to root against... and now we have two on the red team.
    I'm also me too-ing with all the people who can't believe the trainers didn't discuss the muscle vs fat issue with them, and with those that think inches/fat are the way to go. or at least some combo of them. We can hope that they are being saved up for a surprise measure later in the show. I really do think the show has some responsibility for conveying accurate info to people. I can just see all the folks who got inspired by last week's show slacking off in the next 2 weeks!!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS
    Really?? you thought what donut boy did was funny? raising her hopes and then dashing them?? I deal with stress via humor also, but that didn't seem the least bit funny to me. Especially when she was already so upset about leaving. Donut guy was not someone I'd ever want as a friend.
    I do agree that TV likes to have jerks ... so we'll have someone to root against... and now we have two on the red team.
    What you need to understand is that donut boy didn't do it to Lizzeth, but it was aimed more toward cupcake. I didnt' think that part was funny so much as when he asked Gary (?) what took you so long after the elimination round last week.
    I'm also me too-ing with all the people who can't believe the trainers didn't discuss the muscle vs fat issue with them, and with those that think inches/fat are the way to go. or at least some combo of them. We can hope that they are being saved up for a surprise measure later in the show. I really do think the show has some responsibility for conveying accurate info to people. I can just see all the folks who got inspired by last week's show slacking off in the next 2 weeks!!
    They discussed the body going hitting a plataue to adjust to all that it's endured in two weeks. Also, the first couple of weeks was more water weight than anything else.

FORT Fan
    I just caught the tail-end but what that Ryan did was despicable and he is a real JERK.......hope he gets the boot himself - I'm still bothered by the fact that here is a group of people who are willing to try to lose weight and they have to face getting voted off........why not just let everyone who's willing to make an honest effort stay till the bitter end and may the smallest (LOL) person win....... I think the show is doing these folks a huge disservice by making them leave........I know from my own experience I find it easier to diet when I have someone else trying along with me - not like it's such fun but in some ways it was kinda fun to see who lost the most weight each week - we encouraged each other and just trying to be the one with the biggest loss each week was a good motivator even though we were not doing it for money - sometimes people with a competitive nature will push themselves a little harder just for the glory.....my husband and I are constantly watching our weight and we encourage each other weekly after we've 'weighed in' (at home) and then when I lose more than him I just LOVE saying :phhht all in good fun.......he's given me the :phhht on more than one occasion as well and again, we try to have fun with it.......so much better than wallowing alone in misery (and hunger pains)......... I hope the producers of the show read these boards and WAKE UP and LET ALL (except Ryan :nono :deadhorse ) stay and finish the program. Thank you for listening and now I will get off my

Quote Originally Posted by Thonolan
    I like these guys, and I don't think there's anything malicious about them at all. While some of the contestants deal with stress and dissapointment by pouting, whining, feeling sorry for themselves and snapping at each other, these two use humor to deal with it all. I think it's rather admirable.

I do not see anything wrong with a sense of humor. It can be a wonderful thing. But not at the expense of another. That is being a bully and being malicious, plain and simple. Ryan (the donut boy), himself commented that people don't get his sense of humor. 2 examples of it happened during this episode. He obviously doesn't read people well, cause his humor is pissing people off, well I take that back he realizes after that he pissed them off but that does not stop him from doing it. I know some people find it amusing to do so, ( piss people off with their humor) eventually it will backfire. I give Lizzeth a lot of credit for not dumping a pot of something over Ryan's head. Personally, I would have if it had been available.(It would have been great TV) That or a hit to his head with a baseball bat. The guy does not get it. His humor is hurtful.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 10-28-2004 at 08:22 AM.

Another thing I liked about Discovery Health's Body Challenge, was the fact that after a doctor's exam we were made aware of possible health risks such as high cholesterol and triglycerides. Many of the contestants were making lowering their numbers apart of the challenge as well as some quit smoking. These people were committed to making positive, permanent lifestyle changes I hope that this show is tracking this and we can see the before and after results.

I know that I have made some small changes in food and exercise and boy I was surprised that my cholesterol dropped 38 points. This is such positive reenforcement to continue what I have been doing. And I just don't see that support from this show for its contestants. Although, 24/7 care is not a bad substitute as well as someone else doing the cooking and all I have to do is workout physically and have time to work out some health issues that can effect the rest of my life and health.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast