+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eat More or Eat Less?

Eat More or Eat Less?

The team on the eat less diet were the biggest losers this week.
    Do you think that's because of the diet, the trainer, then will of the people to lose weight?

I'm not sure what I attribute the weight loss to.
    They did have some big people on their team, who obviously can lose weight quicker, but big Mo on the blue team only lost 13 pounds.
    It seems ridiculous to say "only" 13 pounds as that's a hell of an achievement.

There's no question that, over the long haul, 6 small meals balanced with carbs and protein (with about 20% fat) is the way to go. Numerous studies support this approach to nutrition. Vegetables should be added to at least two of those meals. So that is pretty consistent with the blue coach's approach.

However, this show is really about crash dieting and literally hours of exercise each day. It also does not appear to reward muscle gain, which is a bit ridiculous to me. If you lose a pound of fat and gain a pound of muscle, you will obviously weigh the same but look a helluva lot better. Did you see how much space that 5 lbs of lard took up in that plastic bag? Yuck

It was pretty close and I'm not ready to say that either coach or plan is better, for THIS program. But over the long haul, red coach's "eating less" approach is not as effective because (1) its really hard to stick with, and (2) it will eventually slow down your metabolism, forcing you to eat less and less just to keep your weight. You'd much rather get your body used to eating small meals every couple hours to keep the fires burning.

You're right on the money, Matty. Not to mention that once your body's metabolism slows and coupled with eating less, it goes into survival mode which actually stores what you eat in the form of....fat. Small meals is the way to go. *suddenly having flashbacks to BFL thread w/ Matty*

I'm currently on the "see-food" diet for a few more months.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I only caught the weigh-in portion of this week's episode. However, I was shocked at the numbers some of these people posted . . . as a Weight Watchers veteran who knows that a weight loss of 1-3 pounds a week is a sane and maintainable number, I can't believe that dropping 20-22 pounds in only 7 days can be healthy! Yeah, these are big folks. Yeah, maybe half that weight is water, but still . . .those numbers are insane! Their bodies are not going to be able to sustain that level of weight loss, and they may have big people collapsing from being pushed too hard.

Dana, the one that got the boot had the 'best' weight loss in terms of a healthy pace that she could maintain . . .as she has proved by losing another 15 pounds on her own. I predict that some of these 'big losers' will regain their weight quickly once off the show. Too fast off . . .too fast back on, and it puts a tremendous strain on their heart.

I think they are wrong to focus solely on numbers . . .instead, they should be focusing on who has the best attitude, who works the hardest, who is the biggest spirit leader, and so on, to determine who stays and who goes.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    The team on the eat less diet were the biggest losers this week.
    Do you think that's because of the diet, the trainer, then will of the people to lose weight?

I'm not sure what I attribute the weight loss to.
    They did have some big people on their team, who obviously can lose weight quicker, but big Mo on the blue team only lost 13 pounds.
    It seems ridiculous to say "only" 13 pounds as that's a hell of an achievement.

I'm always dieting and find the eating more often, eating smaller portions and watching the fat/calorie content has been the best way. For one thing I think the red trainer will leave the participants with a bad taste in their mouth - she shows little to no compassion and acts like they should all just 'do it' ....as for big Mo - I think that due to his enormous size that prohibited him from really putting his all into the exercise program - as his weight comes down and he feels more the ability to sustain the exercise regimen I think he will start dropping weight in bigger numbers as long as he lays off the bacon I know that I personally would not be able to put up with the red trainer and I believe the blue trainer has the right approach - at least he took time to acquaint himself with his group - people respond to kindness better than bullying and I think the red team will eventually rebel and turn on their trainer......

Quote Originally Posted by azsk8fan
    I'm always dieting and find the eating more often, eating smaller portions and watching the fat/calorie content has been the best way.
    I absolutely agree 100%!

Quote Originally Posted by azsk8fan
    For one thing I think the red trainer will leave the participants with a bad taste in their mouth - she shows little to no compassion
    I'm wit'cha, AZ (and others upthread).

Frequent small, healthy meals = good! I'm a big fan of grazing myself.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by hikari
    I only caught the weigh-in portion of this week's episode. However, I was shocked at the numbers some of these people posted . . . as a Weight Watchers veteran who knows that a weight loss of 1-3 pounds a week is a sane and maintainable number, I can't believe that dropping 20-22 pounds in only 7 days can be healthy! Yeah, these are big folks. Yeah, maybe half that weight is water, but still . . .those numbers are insane! Their bodies are not going to be able to sustain that level of weight loss, and they may have big people collapsing from being pushed too hard.
    I was thinking the same thing. It just doesn't seem healthy to lose that much in only a week. I hope it levels off for them. I really felt bad for the people feeling bad because they didn't lose 15 or 20 lbs. Weight loss isn't a quick thing. It takes work, but is worth the wait.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hikari
    I think they are wrong to focus solely on numbers . . .instead, they should be focusing on who has the best attitude, who works the hardest, who is the biggest spirit leader, and so on, to determine who stays and who goes.

i agree with this. as i mentioned in another thread, i lost quite a bit of weight this past year (and i still have lots to lose) but i put more value in my endurance in the gym than the numbers on the scale. don't get me wrong ... it felt wonderful seeing that number go down, but it felt even better seeing myself progress from barely handling five minutes on a stationary bike to being able to do 5 miles on it a few months later. to me, that was a HUGE improvement and indicative of my progress, even more than losing the weight.

so anyway ... endurance is a more realistic way of measuring progress ... but i guess that's not what this show is about.

People who are not severely overweight (100 pounds or more) should toss their scales out the window. A scale is a poor indicator of overall fitness and good health. It's a number that doesn't mean a hell of a lot. A great example is the red team girl who had a weight of 167 pounds...hell, that's not even that heavy, but she looked as large as a teammate who was some sixty pounds heavier. Same goes for that ridiculous BMI that people quote as it it were one of the Commandments...it's absolutely NOT possible for it to apply to all people.

If you want to lose a significant amount of weight and keep it off, you need to learn portion control, basic nutrition, and exercise, exercise, exercise. ANY exercise is better than none. I don't know that it's even relevant what training program the contestants are in now...as long as it gets them interested in fitness, they can find an activity that they enjoy and can stick with long-term after the show is over.

I think it's pretty obvious that the group that ate less this week would be the biggest losers. Anyone who's crash-dieted knows you can drop several pounds in a week if you stick it out...problem is, you put 'em right back on after you go back to your old eating habits. The eat-more group will probably prevail in the long run.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

For most folks its not the dieting that is the problem. Anyone can diet and lose weight. It's the MAINTENANCE that is the problem. My fear is that these folks will lose an incredible amount of weight but then after the show is over they will gain most if not more back.

Red chick has got to lighten up a bit or she is going to have a not so cheerful team.

As a fellow weightwatchers club member I lost 10 pounds the first week on the program and I was over 200#s.

The girls are at a disadvantage though. It is so hard to lose weight while you are PMSing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast