+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eat More or Eat Less?

Quote Originally Posted by esmattynd
    But over the long haul, red coach's "eating less" approach is not as effective because (1) its really hard to stick with, and (2) it will eventually slow down your metabolism, forcing you to eat less and less just to keep your weight. You'd much rather get your body used to eating small meals every couple hours to keep the fires burning.
    Sooo very true! It is soo hard to stick to a program like that. And in the end you end up craving all the "forbidden" foods that have taken on a new sheen and glow because of the deprivation. Muffins become more muffiny, chocolate becomes more chocolatey, and you'll crave wayyy more, quantity-wise. "One muffin? Pffft. Fill up this laundry basket, please. Thank you."

Blue dude rules. Blue dude's plan is liveable. The taught red lady has a plan that you'd only stick with if you're getting beaten into submission. Bob's plan is something you could motivate yourself to do. Or more so, anyway.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

FORT Fan
    The first week of any diet will bring quick weight loss as its mostly water loss. The second week alot of people become frustrated because they don't lose as much weight or any at all. In order to continue losing weight, one has to burn more calories than they eat.

People think the healthiest way of life is three meals a day. We are taught this as children but actually healthy snacks throughout the day not only keeps us feeling full but it keeps the metabolism working.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    I'm currently on the "see-food" diet for a few more months.
    How's that working out for yah?

After only two shows, I think we'll have to take a Weight and See approach to see which diet is more effective for these folks.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Flings Fairydust to all YellowRoseTX's Avatar
    As a person who is on a strict diet and trying to lose over 150 pounds...yes I said over 150 pounds , the best way is the 6 small meals a day, this way your body does not store food it rids itself of the food because it knows it will get more soon....This is why it's bad to skip meals! Also cut the sodium in your diet....don't use salt!! Use Morton Lite...sodium is bad!! In three weeks I have lost 14 pounds and next week we measure my inches...I can tell that I've lost alot there because of the way clothes fit, and how I fit in the drivers seat!! (If you aren't big or haven't been big, you just won't understand that part! )
    I'll lean on you and you lean on me and we'll be okay.

-- Dave Matthews

Way to go, Yellowrose!

to the boards, BTW!
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood
    Way to go, Yellowrose!

to the boards, BTW!
    Thank You for the Nice Welcome!!!

-- Dave Matthews

I lurk alot and hardly ever post. Yellowrose is a hundred percent right. Losing weight should never, ever be about suffering. Not only have I gone from a size 18 to a 10, but my daughter, who's 16 (and they don't have tons of willpower at that age), also went from an 18 (almost a 20) down to a 5. She's lost 60 lbs. and I could not be more proud!! We've been on Weight Watchers and there's been no suffering. We have taken our time (I'm still not at my goal weight) and gotten so much out of it (me for the second time around, since I thought I was "too good" for it and gained it all back plus 10). I am not a fanatic.

I do love this show. This is the kind of reality show (one of the few, really) that can only inspire you to make your life better in a non-extreme way. And I do know, oh, how I know, that people go through some very deep valleys and dark tunnels when in weight-loss mode. But the most important thing of all is to feel satisfied. There are so many tricks to this without suffering. It hurts me to see the girls and guys crying on the show, and know that it's really for real...but then they do have a time limit to lose the weight, and I just don't like that part, the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by shaynas_mom
    I lurk alot and hardly ever post. Yellowrose is a hundred percent right. Losing weight should never, ever be about suffering. Not only have I gone from a size 18 to a 10, but my daughter, who's 16 (and they don't have tons of willpower at that age), also went from an 18 (almost a 20) down to a 5. She's lost 60 lbs. and I could not be more proud!! We've been on Weight Watchers and there's been no suffering. We have taken our time (I'm still not at my goal weight) and gotten so much out of it (me for the second time around, since I thought I was "too good" for it and gained it all back plus 10). I am not a fanatic.

I do love this show. This is the kind of reality show (one of the few, really) that can only inspire you to make your life better in a non-extreme way. And I do know, oh, how I know, that people go through some very deep valleys and dark tunnels when in weight-loss mode. But the most important thing of all is to feel satisfied. There are so many tricks to this without suffering. It hurts me to see the girls and guys crying on the show, and know that it's really for real...but then they do have a time limit to lose the weight, and I just don't like that part, the deadline.
    Way to go on your and your daughters success!! My daughter who is also 16 and I joined LA Weight Loss together. She has lost a total of 15 pounds in 4 weeks and 13.25 inches. She's doing great!! It sure helps doing this together! As you probably can agree with. We've just started, but we're feeling good about it.

I feel for the folks on the show....the tears are real, the emotions they are going through must be awful. I hope they do something like counseling with them, if not, they are going to have some messed up folks on their hands. :rolleyes

-- Dave Matthews

YellowRose and Shaynas: Congratulations to you both and thanks for sharing your success stories for us all!

Each 'body' is different as to how it loses food, and for me, it was/is the Adkins diet that worked for me, which I guess is the "eat more" variety. I was a size 8 until I hit Uni, where all the food that was forbidden in my parents home was available to me. Within 2 years, I went up to a size 22, , snacking on chips, fast food, and every Hostess bakery product.

I finally got fed up not being able to wear revealing or sexy clothes, so I hired a personal trainer who put me on Adkins. The first month, I lost over 30 pounds, which just goes to show you how many artificially high calories I was consuming. And this was in addition to working out 3 times a week, building muscle weight, and my extremely physical job of landscaping.

It took over a year of being on this regime to get back into my size 8 clothes. Now, I am on a moderated Adkins, so I will eat bread (just not the entire loaf!), pancakes and cookies. I just eat them as a treat, not the basis of my meal, as I did in collage. And it wasn't poor student living that had me eating badly; it was the fact that I could get "away" with it, since my parents weren't watching over me.

Live and learn, I guess.

What I also appreciate about this show is that EVERYONE on the show is taking full responsibility for getting to their weight, without blaming the 'usual suspects' of big bones, slow metabolism, etc. Sure, those conditions DO exist, but that's something that a doctor needs to help you with. Places like Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig and Seattle Sutton couldn't exist if everyone had a medical condition.

Sometimes, a duck just is a duck.

Good luck to you both, and to your daughters, too!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12