+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 10/19 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I agree with Lambkins!

I liked the Red trainer. She ruled. These people have gotten where they are over a period of years and years. She has to be intense. She only has a few weeks to change all of these horrible long-standing habits. And she's hot too. And she's not too skinny. Her arms were very well defined and muscular. She just looked really thin because her waist was so lean.

Also, I think the "temptations" are reasonable. First, it makes for good TV. Come on, we all know we can't have a show that's 100% uplifting. Viewers will get bored. Making them do bake sales and stuff provides more drama, and like dvm and lambkins said earlier, is more indicitive of real life. How many of us work in offices where every other day someone brings in a plate full of donuts/brownies/insert artery-clogging item of your choice? These contestants need to learn to say "no" all the time.

I like the curly headed guy with the woman boobs. Those were a little scary. I had to turn away from the TV! But he seemed really cool and would have a huge upside. I also liked the guy who ate the donut at the begining. I did NOT like the woman who kept crying and going psycho about "I don't know what to eat!" GEEZ its not that hard! Eat lean chicken! Eat salads (no dressing ,bacon, cheese, etc - this isn't Arbys)! Eat tuna and vegetables and wheat bread and fruits and lowfat cottage cheese. Don't eat brownies. Its not rocket science.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by esmattynd
    I liked the Red trainer. She ruled. These people have gotten where they are over a period of years and years. She has to be intense. She only has a few weeks to change all of these horrible long-standing habits. And she's hot too. And she's not too skinny. Her arms were very well defined and muscular. She just looked really thin because her waist was so lean.

Also, I think the "temptations" are reasonable. First, it makes for good TV. Come on, we all know we can't have a show that's 100% uplifting. Viewers will get bored. Making them do bake sales and stuff provides more drama, and like dvm and lambkins said earlier, is more indicitive of real life. How many of us work in offices where every other day someone brings in a plate full of donuts/brownies/insert artery-clogging item of your choice? These contestants need to learn to say "no" all the time.

I like the curly headed guy with the woman boobs. Those were a little scary. I had to turn away from the TV! But he seemed really cool and would have a huge upside. I also liked the guy who ate the donut at the begining. I did NOT like the woman who kept crying and going psycho about "I don't know what to eat!" GEEZ its not that hard! Eat lean chicken! Eat salads (no dressing ,bacon, cheese, etc - this isn't Arbys)! Eat tuna and vegetables and wheat bread and fruits and lowfat cottage cheese. Don't eat brownies. Its not rocket science.

Eric
    Eric!!! I'm so glad that there's a majority of TWO of us that agree that the Red Trainer is working her team for results...not to end up being they're "bestest, ever friend!"

You're right....it took years and years and years for these people to get this heavy; some of them admitted that they had never known a 'thin day in their life'.

My girlfriend works in an office so large that on a daily basis it is someone's birthday. That means cookies, cake or some sweetie. I've seen her co-workers: they look like beached whales in stretch pants! Fortunately for my friend, she has the metabolism of a hummingbird and can devour the whole cake and ask for more...while still looking like Twiggy! So, as Eric said, temptations are around you except when you're in bed; if they can't leave them alone with the cameras running, then it's a lost cause after the show.

For those of you that like the Blue Trainer: I do, too! However, while his approach would be fantastic for a Support Group AFTER the show, his more laid back, holistic philosophy could handicap his results. I love his philosophy, I like how he wanted to get to know the contestants, but again...this approach would be wonderful if there wasn't a BIG Bomb Clock ticking in the background...demanding results.

When this episode was over, and they showed the RED team woman doing an early jog, by herself; then I knew that the Red Team Trainer had made an impact.

And I laughed with you, Eric, over the Drama Queen who bawled her way through dinner. Boo-Tucking-Hoo! There was food for her to eat...she just didn't want to eat it! But, each Reality Show needs a Drama Queen so I guess we found at least ONE of them. I'm sure the Blue Team will have their own candidate.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by esmattynd
    How many of us work in offices where every other day someone brings in a plate full of donuts/brownies/insert artery-clogging item of your choice? These contestants need to learn to say "no" all the time.
    Actually, they don't have to say *no* all the time. What they have to learn to do is learn to control themselves. Take one brownie and go back to your desk. Don't buy crap in the grocery store so it's sitting around your house. Save your urge to bake for Christmastime, and then don't overdo it.

You're right, it's NOT rocket science. My kindergartener knows that it's healthier to eat a banana than a chocolate-chip cookie, for heaven's sake. Exercise should be a no-brainer as well.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

As one in the "know"...It is usually more difficult to lose 30lbs than 200lbs so as this goes on, I will be watching to see who is putting forth the effort, the 30 lbs or the 200 lbs.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Actually, they don't have to say *no* all the time. What they have to learn to do is learn to control themselves. Take one brownie and go back to your desk. Don't buy crap in the grocery store so it's sitting around your house. Save your urge to bake for Christmastime, and then don't overdo it.

You're right, it's NOT rocket science. My kindergartener knows that it's healthier to eat a banana than a chocolate-chip cookie, for heaven's sake. Exercise should be a no-brainer as well.
    If only it were that simiple AJane. My seven year old and I watched the show together last night and it turned into a talk about our diet and what we could do better. She also asked why those people were crying. I had to explain to her that after years and years of finding comfort in food it's hard to find another outlet to comfort you.

In alcohol/drug rehab, the addicts usually turn to cigarettes or gum chewing to help the "urge" to drink/do drugs, etc. When you are attempting to switch to a healthy lifestyle after spending 30-40 years doing the exact opposite, it's going to be very frustrating and emotional and you have to find a new outlet. Now common sense tells us as viewers that if Maurice (my fave) is feeling the urge to have some sausage, Maurice needs to remove himself from the table and go to the gym. I'm always telling my junkfood junkies at home "you're not hungry, you're bored". Hell, I have to tell myself that quite a bit too.

So in response to the question of given a choice between the banana or the cookie...I would choose both. There's more to it than common sense and rocket science. We just need to learn that not everybody is motivated the same way.

O.k., I have to admit I loved watching this show. When I realized that the black lady, Andrea, and I weighed exactly the same thing I was moved to tears. I turned to my daughter and asked do I look that heavy? And she said, yeah, kind of, but in a different way. I don't know what I was expecting but I was fascinated by these people...it's like a big Overeaters Anonymous meeting...I know I feel a lot of the same emotions, frustrations and fears that they do. Guess my heart just went out to them. I will be interested in their methods of losing weight in shows to come....don't know if I agree that more than about 3 - 5 lbs per week loss is too healthy in the long run though. The voting off process was a little cheesy too..."time to cut the fat", sheesh!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

I was surprised that I watched this last night, since I hate to watch a show that might get canceled before it's over. However, I thought they did this with grace and care for their feelings! I thought cutie 5 pounds needed to go. I thought it was fair. They have to be concerned with the weight loss difference. I'm so glad she continued to lose weight when she was home. This is a nice show to watch, comparatively. The urping, maybe not so much, but isn't he (the urper)the one who lost the most?

Two very important things they measured at the beginning were left out of the results after week one. Inches and percent body fat. There may be some who lost inches & body fat, but it may not show that much on the scale.
    On Celebrity Weight Loss Challenge on Disc. Health, they measured all 3 at every official weigh in. They used a combination factor to decide who won each time. At one weigh in, one of the contestants only lost a couple of pounds, but lost inches and a few percentages of body fat. She was putting on muscle and losing fat.

Also, I wonder how they are going to gage the total weight loss when the teams are now uneven ( after Dana going home ). Are they going to take an average per person? (The total loss divided by the number of people on the team)

I disagree about the Red Trainer. Her approach is great for the first week using her over work and eats less diet, but the competitorís bodies will start to burn calories slower as their metabolism slows down. Their bodies will try to slow down and conserve fat and calories, because the body will think it is starving and try to adjust.

The Blue trainers approach will pay dividends for the length of the show and beyond. The Blue teams bodies will utilize the calories effectively and they will end up having more energy and lose weight more consistently. His eat 6 smaller meals per day will maximize his teams Metabolism through out.

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Lambikins and Eric I agree... Red team lady was awesome. You can't be wishy washy about a lifestyle makeover-- you have to just do it and not look back. I am fortunate enough to have never experienced being overweight -- and it was hard for me to wake up say, "You won't look 18 forever." I really applaud these guys for facing their demons and getting out there and doing something about their health. You need someone to give you tough love if you want results. Yeah it's an adjustment, but change starts the second you decide to commit yourself.

+ Reply to Thread