+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Season 15 Episode 15 - 02/04/14 - Season Finale ***SPOILERS***

FORT Fanatic

Re: Season 15 Episode 14 - 02/04/14 - Season Finale ***SPOILERS***

Still watching. But I had to say how happy I was that Tumi won the at home prize. Especially since she was eliminated by vote because she was a threat.

Okay, back to the show.

Well, it appears the trainers are not endorsing Rachel's extreme weight loss. Jillian and Bob have closed ranks.

Biggest Loser Winner Rachel Frederickson: Did She Go Too Far? - The Biggest Loser, Bob Harper, Jillian Michaels : People.com

The show's trainers – Jillian Michaels, Bob Harper and Dolvett Quince – are also remaining mum about their reactions to the finale.

"Jillian Michaels will not comment on Rachel's journey as she was not her trainer. She is celebrating the at-home win of her contestant, Tumi. Any questions about any of the other contestants on the Biggest Loser should be directed to the show’s producers," a rep for Michaels tells PEOPLE.

Harper posted a similar message on Facebook: "Jillian and I want to take a moment to congratulate all of the BL contestants on their hard work. We're not comfortable commenting on Rachel's journey because we weren't her trainers and weren't given an opportunity to work with her at any point. Any questions about the contestants on The Biggest Loser should be directed to the show's producers.
    I suppose hindsight is 20/20, but it occurs to me that this kind of thing might have been inevitable - and maybe it's surprising that it took 15 seasons to surface. Yes, most contestants gain at least some weight back, but as we saw last night with the appearance of past contestants, there are plenty that remain fit and committed to a healthy lifestyle. Other contestants have regained a lot of the weight back (Eric, I think?). Maybe this kind of outcome - someone losing far too much (and more disturbingly, she "embraces" it) was sure to happen at some point. Worse, it's a young woman, the most at-risk demographic for eating disorders and distorted body image.

Frustrating and puzzling. Good lord, the female trainer that would have been a living example during the majority of her journey has arms three times the size of hers (now). TBL stresses fitness, working out, strength. At what point did she lose her way?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Another thing I found really disturbing is how they kept cutting to Rachel's mom in audience. She was all smiles and cheering, etc. If Rachel was my daughter, I would be highly distressed to see her looking so sickly.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

FORT Fanatic

Still not done watching, but Rachel does not look right. Her face is shriveled, she has that lollipop look. If I were the producers I would be concerned. She's not just thin, Tumi and Marie look thin. But she's just looks like she's lost too much. This is not a petite woman who is 5' tall.

And I am hearing Allie's last words Happy and Healthy. Allie was empathic on the healthy.

Bobby posted on FB about it...

Bobby Saleem: Hey guys it's Bobby! I was joking about my comment about being in the 160s!!! I didn't want to win that badly to destroy myself. I recognize the issues and I will be there for Rachel. She wanted to win and felt threatened by two big guys in the final. She will be fine. I'll make sure of it!!! Love you all!!! Cheers to healthy living!
    CupidGuest, Jamie5632 and GabbyG like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Finally watched it. I thought Tumi looked just amazing. Many of the contestants did, and I was amazed at how well so many of them did at home.

That said, I too thought Rachel looked far too thin. 105 would be SKINNY at my height, and I'm about 5 inches shorter than her. Is she 5'8"? That is terribly skinny for someone at that height. Not to mention how stick-like her arms were, with no muscle at all. Not really what the show wants to promote, is it?

It did provide a teachable moment for me with my 13 year old girls who watch it with me. I mentioned that eating disorders can swing both ways, from over eating to not eating at all, and that I think Rachel needs to find that middle ground. I'm happy she won, as I liked her very much and admired her dedication to the process, but I hope she puts on a few pounds and finds a healthier state to be in permanently. I can't imagine her maintaining that weight, and it truly felt like the show was rewarding an unhealthy weight loss.

I thought Jay was looked amazing, and also thought David was soooo handsome. He really had the best lines of the night when he said the bravest thing he did was take the first step, and that no matter who won the confetti was falling on all of them.

I really enjoyed the season, and loved the lack of drama and conflict. I hope, though, that we see a more realistic ending next time around.

Also meant to add, Bob and Jillian's faces were very telling when Rachel came out. And if the camera adds 15 lbs as they say, she must have been truly gaunt in person!
    Last edited by sweetpea; 02-05-2014 at 09:58 PM.
    Valar Morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Well, it appears the trainers are not endorsing Rachel's extreme weight loss. Jillian and Bob have closed ranks.

Biggest Loser Winner Rachel Frederickson: Did She Go Too Far? - The Biggest Loser, Bob Harper, Jillian Michaels : People.com

I suppose hindsight is 20/20, but it occurs to me that this kind of thing might have been inevitable - and maybe it's surprising that it took 15 seasons to surface. Yes, most contestants gain at least some weight back, but as we saw last night with the appearance of past contestants, there are plenty that remain fit and committed to a healthy lifestyle. Other contestants have regained a lot of the weight back (Eric, I think?). Maybe this kind of outcome - someone losing far too much (and more disturbingly, she "embraces" it) was sure to happen at some point. Worse, it's a young woman, the most at-risk demographic for eating disorders and distorted body image.

Frustrating and puzzling. Good lord, the female trainer that would have been a living example during the majority of her journey has arms three times the size of hers (now). TBL stresses fitness, working out, strength. At what point did she lose her way?

Many previous contestants have stated that there is a lot of pressure from the producers to follow extreme weight loss practices to have a big result at the finale. If any fans here follow body building and fitness contests what these contestants do on the Biggest Loser is exactly what these folks do for their competitions. Body builders and fitness professionals do not maintain extremely low body fat except for competition. Once the competition is over they are eating normally and gaining weight back rather quickly. Within in a month Rachel will be at a much more healthy weight for her height. I will not be surprised if she is 10 to 15 lbs heavier within the first week.

There have been similar conversations about extreme weight loss during Olivia's win and Helen's win both winners put weight back on in the 20 to 30 lbs range and have maintain it.

There has always been a fine line between reality tv show, ratings and providing healthy entertainment and inspiration for the Biggest Loser in the majority of its seasons. I don't think what they did for season 15 is any different then they did for previous seasons it is just much more apparent as season 15 was the gentler kinder season.
    sunshine3331 likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    That said, I too thought Rachel looked far too thin. 105 would be SKINNY at my height, and I'm about 5 inches shorter than her. Is she 5'8"? That is terribly skinny for someone at that height. Not to mention how stick-like her arms were, with no muscle at all. Not really what the show wants to promote, is it?
    She's only 5'4", so she's about 12 pounds below the lowest weight in the healthy range for her height.

At the last weigh in before the finale - I think she was at 150 - I thought she looked amazing. Maybe she could have lost a bit more, but I thought she looked so healthy and fit. Great muscle tone. Since she's an athlete, I would expect her to weigh more because of muscle mass. The fact that she looked so thin AND had no muscle tone was really upsetting. Her face was SO similar so so many women with anorexia.

That screen grab of Bob and Jillian says it all. I think it's how MANY of the viewers (and probably audience members) were looking at that moment.

I really hope that someone involved with the show - and I think it should be Dolvett - has a serious "Come to Jesus" talk with her and convinces her to gain some of that weight back.

ETA: I was SO happy for Tumi. She looked incredible!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm her height...actually a half inch taller...and was 114 all through high school (I stopped growing after 6th grade), wore what then a size 10 (which I know is a much smaller size now ), had 36-24-35 measurements, had my period, etc., played sports, did well in school, etc. During college I gained about 4 lbs., and at no point was I trying to stay that weight...it was just what I weighed. If Rachel wants to get back to something like competitive swimming she'd have to bulk up musclewise, to more than I weighed probably, but if she even gained 10 or 12 lbs. she'd probably look just fine. But 105---no way, even on camera she looks way too thin. I swear she looked a bit dizzy at times.
    Just did some math...if she'd lost 140 lbs. she'd have weighed 120....and that would have been 53.8% lost. So she'd still have beaten Bobby, just, but not Tumi. However, one only has to beat the top 3 to win.
    Last edited by PWS; 02-05-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I'm her height...actually a half inch taller...and was 114 all through high school (I stopped growing after 6th grade), wore what then a size 10 (which I know is a much smaller size now ), had 36-24-35 measurements, had my period, etc., played sports, did well in school, etc. During college I gained about 4 lbs., and at no point was I trying to stay that weight...it was just what I weighed. If Rachel wants to get back to something like competitive swimming she'd have to bulk up musclewise, to more than I weighed probably, but if she even gained 10 or 12 lbs. she'd probably look just fine. But 105---no way, even on camera she looks way too thin. I swear she looked a bit dizzy at times.
    Just did some math...if she'd lost 140 lbs. she'd have weighed 120....and that would have been 53.8% lost. So she'd still have beaten Bobby, just, but not Tumi. However, one only has to beat the top 3 to win.
    David lost 54.28%
    Bobby lost 52.51%
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread